Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Now Ye're Talking - To Body Builder Kelly Donegan

1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

To be honest Kelly like I said I actually love bodybuilding training for its aesthetic benefits. I'm qualified to a degree in personal training and have worked in gyms before as well as knowing several people who compete, I know the ins and outs of the drugs that are involved in 90% of competitors, true natural bodybuilding is pretty much non existent. That's why I said those who compete are some of the most unhealthiest people I know, don't ever judge a book by its cover just because someone looks in good condition externally, that same person isn't exactly doing his organs any good internally.

I know my opinion is harsh, but its true. I've seen bikini models like yourself take every drug under the sun as well as litirally starving themselves in the process. It wrecks complete havoc on their bodys metabolism and hormones, all to pose on a stage, where no physical exertion is required to compete, just posing, hence me saying it's more like a beauty pageant than a sport. Don't be so foolish to think that's there's not an elite level of skill and technique involved in sports such as golf, such levels that are not required for bikini modeling or bodybuilding.

I'm 85kg, 5"11 and 10 ℅ body fat, I've been in and out of gyms since I was 14. This is not a bandwagon I've jumped on kelly, health and fitness is a genuine passion of mine. I've never lived a talifornia or jersey shore lifestyle promoting the exact opposite of what your trying to preach now. I lift weights 5 to 6 times per week, cardio, flexabilty etc all included in a very intense, well balanced program as well as playing sports. I don't find my diet a struggle because it's not temporary, hence me being able to maintain or improve my body comp without ever having to go through this bulking and cutting rubbish thats in all honesty promoting the typical crash diet.

I'm sorry to come off strong, but the vast majority of people interested in these competions have been brainwashed into thinking that these physiques on display are healthy and attainable naturally, that all these pro bodybuilders, bikini models get their results through diet and supplements, its for the best part complete and utter rubbish.

A women like yourself full off estrogen naturally being able to hit low levels of body fat, do you think that's healthy without damaging your body? I know of girls who mess with your usuals such as clenbutoral or even mild androgens such as anavar to get stage contest lean because they come to the realization that most pro bikini model physiques are not relistic and maintainable goals without some sort of aid e.g. drugs of some kind.

The reason why amatuer bodybuilding and bikini modeling doesnt the get respect you think it deserves is because the industry as a whole is fake, a narcissistic culture, full of people doing it for the wrong reasons.

Exactly what is the point of this diatribe? Are you insinuating that Kelly takes drugs? If not then all of this is completely irrelevant to the AMA.

Also, regarding whether or not it is a sport. First your requirement was athleticism (you may want to go an look that word up in the dictionary btw). Now it's skill and technique. What skill and technique is required for long distance runners, or rowers, or cyclists? Besides....err.. running, rowing and cycling? They require no specialized skill, just practice. Are they not sports either?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Say you were in an aggressive situation where violence against yourself was looking likely, would you fancy your chances of being able to handle yourself?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭I'm body builder Kelly Donegan AMA

Hmm i would definitely say that i am stronger than i have ever been. Its hard to say what me reaction would be in a situation like you suggested, im a really easy going patient individual so i dont think i would be jumping into any kind of altercation regardless of my strength. That being said i am well able to handle myself, i would always use words over anything physical initially. Again hard to say what you would do unless you were in the situation, fight or flight ? who knows

Say you were in an aggressive situation where violence against yourself was looking likely, would you fancy your chances of being able to handle yourself?

Oh of course i was not insinuating that you didnt, it was just a generalization for most people. I think you have hit the nail on the head, i see it as an extreme sport not a healthy lifestyle programme. Obviously because the body is involved, as well as diet and exercise that people see it as a symbol for healthy living. You are right bodybuilding CAN wreck havoc on your health if you dont approach it in the right way, i am very aware that drugs are present in the industry especially in the bigger category's. Its very sad but unfortunately is a reality in many sports not just Bodybuilding.Sure look at tennis and wrestling. For me personally i want to think longterm, although the low bodyfat and restricted diet has the potential to be dangerous i do always take it into consideration. I am a very open minded about peoples opinions, and of course everyone deserves one. I can only speak about bodybuilding from my perspective and the amount of physical input involved. The dedication involved has been significant and i will always consider it a sport. I actually didnt live the opposite lifestyle prior to bodybuilding, ok i didnt know much about training or dieting but i have always enjoyed sports as i said before i have played hockey and took part in athletics. Just a stereotype designed by Tallafornia. For me Bodybuilding has been a hugely positive life changing experience. I dont think its fair for somebody on the outside saying they are doing it for the wrong reasons, its an extreme thing to take on for the craic. Very little chances of getting a pro card, VERY VERY little exposure if thats what people are looking for.

Again thank you for your opinion and i really do see where you are coming from, but for me its been a life saver.

To be honest Kelly like I said I actually love bodybuilding training for its aesthetic benefits. I'm qualified to a degree in personal training and have worked in gyms before as well as knowing several people who compete, I know the ins and outs of the drugs that are involved in 90% of competitors, true natural bodybuilding is pretty much non existent. That's why I said those who compete are some of the most unhealthiest people I know, don't ever judge a book by its cover just because someone looks in good condition externally, that same person isn't exactly doing his organs any good internally.

I know my opinion is harsh, but its true. I've seen bikini models like yourself take every drug under the sun as well as litirally starving themselves in the process. It wrecks complete havoc on their bodys metabolism and hormones, all to pose on a stage, where no physical exertion is required to compete, just posing, hence me saying it's more like a beauty pageant than a sport. Don't be so foolish to think that's there's not an elite level of skill and technique involved in sports such as golf, such levels that are not required for bikini modeling or bodybuilding.

I'm 85kg, 5"11 and 10 ℅ body fat, I've been in and out of gyms since I was 14. This is not a bandwagon I've jumped on kelly, health and fitness is a genuine passion of mine. I've never lived a talifornia or jersey shore lifestyle promoting the exact opposite of what your trying to preach now. I lift weights 5 to 6 times per week, cardio, flexabilty etc all included in a very intense, well balanced program as well as playing sports. I don't find my diet a struggle because it's not temporary, hence me being able to maintain or improve my body comp without ever having to go through this bulking and cutting rubbish thats in all honesty promoting the typical crash diet.

I'm sorry to come off strong, but the vast majority of people interested in these competions have been brainwashed into thinking that these physiques on display are healthy and attainable naturally, that all these pro bodybuilders, bikini models get their results through diet and supplements, its for the best part complete and utter rubbish.

A women like yourself full off estrogen naturally being able to hit low levels of body fat, do you think that's healthy without damaging your body? I know of girls who mess with your usuals such as clenbutoral or even mild androgens such as anavar to get stage contest lean because they come to the realization that most pro bikini model physiques are not relistic and maintainable goals without some sort of aid e.g. drugs of some kind.

The reason why amatuer bodybuilding and bikini modeling doesnt the get respect you think it deserves is because the industry as a whole is fake, a narcissistic culture, full of people doing it for the wrong reasons.

Very well written piece and couldnt agree more. It is certainly not a traditional sport, but the great thing is that more exciting new sports are coming to the forefront. Strong men competitions, UFC Fighting i say bring it on. There is a big push to get classic bodybuilding into the Olympics, i think that will be the big switch for perceptions.

I think this perception comes back to the debate which is whether activities where the outcome is determined by the opinion of another (i.e. gymnastics, bodybuilding, ice skating, etc) can be deemed to be equivalent to an activity where the individual/team can determine the outcome (i.e. driving faster, scoring more running faster, lifting more etc).

If you can finish the activity and know that your effort will make you the winner/loser - then it tends to get deemed a sport. However, if you rely on the opinion of another then is it still a sport or does it shift into 'performanace arts'?

Adding to this, there are those who would not deem snooker, darts, bowls, etc to be sports but would define them as games, i.e. physical exertion and determinable outcome = sport.

I can see both sides of the debate, but I think it to say there is no athleticism is nonsense. In sport you train to your requirements. Long distance runners etc would have a very poor level of strength, but high cardio levels. Those in the bodybuilding and strength fields are the opposite. They are all classed as atheletes. Lifting heavier, further, higher, for longer are sporting events that date way back into history. Simialr with running etc. They are the oldest forms of sport.

In the actual competition, yes perhaps you can say that is it showing off your figure, but to get to that point requires much more dedication, dietary adherence, and commitment that many other traditinoal 'sports'. Does everything have to be pigeonholed?

However, please lets not sidetrack what has been a great AMA.

I just wanted to say a massive thank you to everyone who has got involved with this discussion. The questions and conversation have been really enjoyable, which comes as a total surprise to me. I genuinely was expecting being inundated with negativity and hate, both because of my history on television or because of my transition into the world of Bodybuilding. Things of that nature have become the norm in my life, and i tend to expect the worst. Obviously in a situation like this one, the shield of anonymity gives people an opportunity to be really nasty and argumentative. This experience was in fact the very opposite, really relaxed and fun discussion with some really super questions and points. I was also very pleased to hear that i have surprised people on an intellectual level, again the Reality Tv stereotype can be very frustrating. Also might make people think a little deeper before they type cast a person and make an assumed impression. Just because somebody takes part in a show like this doesn't make them uneducated or uncultured, maybe they just like new experiences and likes to take part in unusual situation's for fun and adventure. Who Know's ?

This will be my last post of this AMA and i want to thank everyone for getting involved and sharing their thoughts, both positive and negative. I have definitely been encouraged to do more open discussions in future, i really love that people can be so curious and open minded. You can follow my journey online coming into the future, i will be taking a short break from competing due to work commitments. A lot of really exciting opportunities have come up for me as a result of my industry change, so i will be heavily focusing on these projects short term. I dont like to do anything half arsed, whether competing or work. I will still be training six days a week with a healthy but more varied diet. I aim to compete again in March 2016 in the Arnold Classic Amateur, which takes place in Ohio.

I urge you all to join me over social media, possibly follow me into the future. All of the support i have received is hugely appreciated and again i thank you all for getting involved.

Kind Regards and make sure to enjoy the long weekend.

Kelly Donegan

Facebook / https://www.facebook.com/kellydoneganireland?fref=ts
    Twitter / https://twitter.com/itskellydonegan
    Instagram / https://instagram.com/itskellydonegan/

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Thank you so much Kelly for giving so much time to do this and for some really interesting answers to our questions, it's been fantastic.

It's time to close this up now,best of luck for your next competition Kelly, I think you might have a few new supporters here :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement