Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - To Body Builder Kelly Donegan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

This is very true, but not great for the gut !

Its nickname is the white toxin or the white poison :)

Surely a bit of scrambled eggs is grand.

And Kelly you'll never bag a country lad with that attitude. Bacon spuds cabbage and a pint of milk is a staple dinner down here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

How did you get introduced to body building?
    How did you get set up with a dedicated coach?
    When you first started serious training, what were your initial goals?

Good luck with the upcoming competition!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

What do you think of the IFBB's decision to close the women's bodybuilding category? It means the FBBs can only compete in physique, which like Bikini and Fitness, penalizes 'excessive muscularity'. It also means that pro FBBing begins to be starved of newcomers to its ranks - only NPC competition winners can get a FBB pro card.

Do you think there's always been an antagonism towards women's bodybuilding (the FBB category) amongst certain people at the top of the IFBB? Or was it dying from lack of interest already?

And who is your favourite FBB of all time? Iris and Lenda have all the titles, but I'd go for Juliette Bergmann. Absolute perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭I'm body builder Kelly Donegan AMA

I have a very eclectic taste in music as a whole, but when i am training i like to listen to pretty intense music.

Very partial to a bit of Rage Against The Machine during a weight training session, but i have been known to dabble with Britney Spears too on occasion haha
    Go hard or go home :)

What do you listen to while working out, if anything?

I personally wouldn't consider eggs a dairy product, i would consider that a protein source and a healthy fat source.

QUOTE=gordongekko;95609589]Surely a bit of scrambled eggs is grand.

And Kelly you'll never bag a country lad with that attitude. Bacon spuds cabbage and a pint of milk is a staple dinner down here :)[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

I was very lucky to have known my coach for two years prior to starting with him.
    I was very aware of Bodybuilding in Ireland because of this, but had absolutely no interest in it. Funny enough originally i would have had a negative opinion of the sport and of the physiques. I couldn't comprehend at the time why any woman would go out of their way to get bigger. When i started blogging late in 2013 i became aware of the Bikini class and the american athletes associated with this particular category. My mind was TOTALLY blown by these women. Sexy, strong, hard working and inspiring. It was only from there that i opened my mind to bodybuilding and became more receptive to it.
    January 2014 i decided i was going to finally meet up with my now coach, and make a plan for my first show. As mentioned above i knew my coach Calin Brehaita of Titan Ireland about two years before i started with him. I was aware of his knowledge and experience in the field, he also had a lot of successful girls on his team. As an enthusiastic bodybuilder himself with nothing but passion for the fitness industry, i knew i was in the right hands. It was my intention to do only one show, i genuinely had no idea it would have such a positive impact on my life. I guess my goal at the time was to try something new to get me out of a bad patch in my life.

How did you get introduced to body building?
    How did you get set up with a dedicated coach?
    When you first started serious training, what were your initial goals?

Good luck with the upcoming competition!

Super question and a hot topic at the minute. I personally think that the IFBB are keen to portray a sport that is more commercially acceptable. With people looking at their athletes with admiration and respect. Fans aspiring to have bodies like these athletes.
    The reality is women dont produce testosterone, so women's bodybuilding can only be seen as one thing 'Unnatural'. Don't get me wrong these women who compete within the bodybuilding category are serious athletes. I can only imagine the amount of work they have to put in, the intense training and having to eat ALL THE TIME. Its a huge part of putting on the size, so i am not going to take any credit away from them and their work ethic and commitment.

Its a hugely positive step for the sport in pushing towards a smaller more athletic physique for women's bodybuilding. For example the growing interest in the women's fitness category. Its amazing and a very exciting time for the sport. Woman can grow muscle thats for sure, but these gigantic women are just not a good image for the sport.
    Some people will disagree but that is my opinion. Hats off to them as i know the dedication to be that size must be indescribable. Is it worth it though ? I dont think so.
    I am all for strong, powerful women but there has to be a limit.

Obviously a lot of my favourite athletes would be within the Bikini category. Although i have big interest in athletes like Erin Stern, Oksana Grishina and some of the more muscular bikini type girls like Andrea Brazier etc.

Rumour has it that there are more IFBB Pro's coming from the Uk than any other country at the minute so there you go. There are a lot of new faces coming through the ranks, but the sport is growing so much with every year that its becoming harder and harder to make it to the top and to be noticed.

Duck Soup wrote: »
    What do you think of the IFBB's decision to close the women's bodybuilding category? It means the FBBs can only compete in physique, which like Bikini and Fitness, penalizes 'excessive muscularity'. It also means that pro FBBing begins to be starved of newcomers to its ranks - only NPC competition winners can get a FBB pro card.

Do you think there's always been an antagonism towards women's bodybuilding (the FBB category) amongst certain people at the top of the IFBB? Or was it dying from lack of interest already?

And who is your favourite FBB of all time? Iris and Lenda have all the titles, but I'd go for Juliette Bergmann. Absolute perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 otter13

That is a great question, yes breast implants are very very common in the Bikini class. It is actually very common in all of the female classes within bodybuilding. When you compete your body fat drops extremely low, which means any size or volume you may have is going to disappear. There is no way around it, breasts are made of fat and fat has to go.
    A lot of girls are left feeling very insecure when this happens and usually consider surgery.
    The reality is bodybuilding is about body proportions and having breast implants really adds to the aesthetics of the body. That being said it is a personal choice and nobody is expected to have them. The beautiful Phoebe McVey is an Irish bikini athlete who has taken 1st place with no implants and with implants. If you are the best you are the best.

thanks for the reply! As far as I know and as she claims Jesscia Aravelo doesn't have implants, she is possibly an A/B cup but can really exentuate them in her bikinis. Suppose it is a pity the boobies shrink but the butt makes up for it!

Yes i think you could be right there about Jessica, hers dont have the really round look to them. Look i believe do what makes you happy, whether that means no implants or implants. It would be a really sad shame if women felt they couldn't compete unless they had implants. My opinion is do your research and take the time to think about it. You should never jump into surgery without the right information and mind set. Just because you have a flat chest doesnt mean you cant look out of this world and win a show.

otter13 wrote: »
    thanks for the reply! As far as I know and as she claims Jesscia Aravelo doesn't have implants, she is possibly an A/B cup but can really exentuate them in her bikinis. Suppose it is a pity the boobies shrink but the butt makes up for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Hi Kelly, great thread.

What advice would you have for someone who is starting out on their fitness journey?

Would you say a gradual approach is best or is it better to get a good programme and diet plan and start as you mean to go on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

Whatever about the use of steroids, how rampant is the use of Clenbeuterol in women's physique competitions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Happy Birthday! :D

(Enjoy the turkey)

I think its a totally personal thing, but well done on starting.
    There is two ways to approach this in my opinion you can either improve what you are already doing ie increase water consumption, increase the amount of healthy foods you eat, reduce junk and alcohol, get more active. This is a more relaxed approach, but will definitely have a positive outcome. If you are looking for real results and have a certain goal in mind, then i would suggest making a proper plan. A plan doesnt mean miserable, boring and devoid of any life or fun. Make a plan that you know works with you. The most important thing to do is push yourself, dont be easy on yourself. On the other side be aware of your capabilities, as moderate long term goals and changes are healthier and more effective. Yoyo dieting and extreme diets are a bad idea, and can leave you putting on more weight with metabolic damage. So think what are my long term goals rather than short unrealistic goals.

My true belief is to follow the 80/20 law. 80% Healthy and active / 20% treats and rewards. Life is about balance, but rewards are only received based on effort.

If you are a total newbie and have no idea where to start, why not get yourself informed read health books, buy healthy cook books, check out the net, i like Bodybuilding.com (Not just about bodybuilding) listen to podcasts, watch youtube channels, find some fitspirations. You can also link with a personal trainer if you feel you need the support and guidance. Do your research and dont waste your money. Go to somebody who comes with a lot of great recommendations. Lastly a personal trainer can only give you the tools you have to do the work. With the right mindset and plan you can achieve ANYTHING

IrishAlice wrote: »
    Hi Kelly, great thread.

What advice would you have for someone who is starting out on their fitness journey?

Would you say a gradual approach is best or is it better to get a good programme and diet plan and start as you mean to go on?

Thank you very much

Happy Birthday! :D

(Enjoy the turkey)

As i have mentioned in my previous post i am only really fully aware of my own category which is the Bikini category. Women's physique is a totally different kettle of fish to what i do, the girls would be a lot bigger than i would be with a lot more muscle. I have no doubts that both sexes within the sport abuse chemicals. I think it is great that the sport is leaning away from that negative side of Bodybuilding :)

TommyOM wrote: »
    Whatever about the use of steroids, how rampant is the use of Clenbeuterol in women's physique competitions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Is there an age limit to body building?

This is actually something i had to go and do some research on.
    I am familiar with the junior category's within the IFBB ( International federation of bodybuilding and fitness ) Which usually range from the age of 16 to 23. These category's seem to look for a much softer aesthetic, rather than a more muscular, hard and dry physique which is usually only acquired through time. Although Junior athletes within the IFBB also have option of competing within both junior classes and standard fitness classes. This class and masters are the only category's which allow this. All other athletes are designated to one class per show.

Check this link out below, something within the sport i was not aware of.
    The World Fitness Championships which takes place once a year, and also a European version. From my brief research it seems to be children from the age of 15 years and younger, who compete within and under their national federation. So would represent their county's at these events. The only category that seems to compete is the fitness class, which involves a routine based on strength, athleticism, gymnastics and rhythm.
    So i would say its more fitness based rather than Bodybuilding

Couldnt include link as a new user, check out the IFBB Childrens European Championships or Children's World Championships

Actually and forgot to mention there is also a masters class.
    So really anyone over the age of 16 can take part in Bodybuilding shows

This is actually something i had to go and do some research on.
    I am familiar with the junior category's within the IFBB ( International federation of bodybuilding and fitness ) Which usually range from the age of 16 to 23. These category's seem to look for a much softer aesthetic, rather than a more muscular, hard and dry physique which is usually only acquired through time. Although Junior athletes within the IFBB also have option of competing within both junior classes and standard fitness classes. This class and masters are the only category's which allow this. All other athletes are designated to one class per show.

Check this link out below, something within the sport i was not aware of.
    The World Fitness Championships which takes place once a year, and also a European version. From my brief research it seems to be children from the age of 15 years and younger, who compete within and under their national federation. So would represent their county's at these events. The only category that seems to compete is the fitness class, which involves a routine based on strength, athleticism, gymnastics and rhythm.
    So i would say its more fitness based rather than Bodybuilding

Couldnt include link as a new user, check out the IFBB Childrens European Championships or Children's World Championships

And is there an upper one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Where do you see yourself in 10 years time? Still competing?

• Advertisement

No i cant imagine i will be competing in 10 years, and its a great question to ask since i turned 26 yesterday. Birthdays are always a time of reflection and ideas, a time where you think about the future and what is to come. I see myself still working within the fitness and wellness industry, there is actually a project i am launching the end of this year that i reckon i will still be doing at 36. I have never been one to conform to the norms of life, so its hard for me to say oh i see myself with a house, children and a husband. I could be in Mongolia living with monks. I could possibly see myself competing for the next three or four years, all depending on work. It really takes 100% dedication and cant be half arsed. I would however love to set up a charity promoting health and fitness in Ireland. I dont think there are enough organisations in Ireland that help and support people, especially children. With the growing levels of obesity, heart attacks and strokes i think there is a real need for an informative, inspiring and contemporary organisation. I would really love to sink my teeth into a project like that into the future, something that actually helps people

Taboola wrote: »
    Where do you see yourself in 10 years time? Still competing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,753 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I see you workout twice a day with cardio workouts in the morning.

What does a normal cardio session consist of? What's your favourite / least favourite cardio exercise and which cardio exercise gives you the best return in terms of burning body fat/looking lean without effecting your muscle volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Is it true women stop menstruating when their body reaches below a certain body fat %?

I was training for a fitness modelling competition about 2 years ago and was advised by my doctor to stop because she felt it was dangerous for women to train to that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,753 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Heat_Wave wrote:
    Is it true women stop menstruating when their body reaches below a certain body fat %?

I thought that said something else the 1st time I read it.

I thought that said something else the 1st time I read it.

I've re-read it several times now and cannot figure out what you thought it said ! :)

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    I've re-read it several times now and cannot figure out what you thought it said ! :)

To put it bluntly - masterbating! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,915 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Heat_Wave wrote: »

I'm gonna take a guess and say they saw masturbating rather than menstruating?

God I am so naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Have you had any injuries and how do you cope with it? Mentally as well as physically?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Clairebear17

What do you eat day to day ??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement