Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - To Body Builder Kelly Donegan

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,915 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    God I am so naive.

I hope I'm correct or I'll look like the weirdo.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭I'm body builder Kelly Donegan AMA

I tend to do a lot of steady state cardio, typically very early in the morning before breakfast. I have found this to suit me very well as i have very severe asthma, so i find high intensity cardio sessions too tough. Its all about personal preference and i only do cardio close to a competition. The rest of the time i focus on weights which i think should always be the focus, unless you are a runner etc

I see you workout twice a day with cardio workouts in the morning.

What does a normal cardio session consist of? What's your favourite / least favourite cardio exercise and which cardio exercise gives you the best return in terms of burning body fat/looking lean without effecting your muscle volume.

I eat every 2.5 - 3 hours eating clean and healthy foods. It all depends what time of year it is, if i am in my off season my diet will be way more varied it will also include a cheat meal once or twice a week. Getting ready for a show my diet is very restricted, white protein sources and green vegetables, and healthy carbs. The diet regularly changes based on progress and goals. The entire process is a very personal thing, everybody involved in the sport will approach things differently.

What do you eat day to day ??

Yes it is true, when your bodyfat gets low enough your menstrual cycle tends to be affected. People need to keep in mind its an extreme sport and there are always going to be risks involved. I have found my body has adapted to the changes in my diet over the last year, and i always monitor my health.
    Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Is it true women stop menstruating when their body reaches below a certain body fat %?

I was training for a fitness modelling competition about 2 years ago and was advised by my doctor to stop because she felt it was dangerous for women to train to that level.

No i have never had any injuries as a direct result of Bodybuilding. It is so important to work with a coach that is highly experienced in the field, as technique is absolutely crucial in avoiding injuries. I have had injuries prior to bodybuilding which can be annoying, you tend to have to work around the problem. I tore a ligament in my knee a couple of years back and still have trouble with it still to this day. If something puts to much pressure on it, i simply avoid that particular exercise or machine. Mentally i think it comes down to having a big dream as well as a solid plan. I love challenging myself and the rush i get from it is indescribable. Dont get me wrong i have bad days just like everybody else, but i just suck it up and try to stay focused. I think you have to really want something to make it happen
    cbyrd wrote: »
    Have you had any injuries and how do you cope with it? Mentally as well as physically?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Firstly, I'm quite impressed. You look great.
    You actually remind me of a cross between a former professional wrestler Trish Stratus and as mentioned, Kelly from Saved by the Bell.

I think I read earlier on that you said bodybuilding isn't that popular in Ireland or rather it's not evolved enough to have it as popular as in other countries.
    I've seen many strongmen from the UK and a few from Ireland. I understand it's a completely different sport.
    But given how it does seem to have a success, for example, Britain's Strongest Man contest, what would you imagine would give the bodybuilding scene in Ireland greater recognition so that someone like yourself would be seen as a legitimate competitor and not just an amaetur or hobbyist*

*I'm not saying you're either of those but I'm going by you saying that anyone who does bodybuilding is seen as one of them since Ireland is behind in the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I really wouldn't class bodybuilding or bikini modeling as sports to begin with. There competitive yes, but there's no athleticism required, there beauty pageants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

I really wouldn't class bodybuilding or bikini modeling as sports to begin with. There competitive yes, but there's no athleticism required, there beauty pageants.

A here. All the athleticism required occurs in the training which you don't see. Its definitely a sport.

fizzypish wrote: »
    A here. All the athleticism required occurs in the training which you don't see. Its definitely a sport.

Listen I love bodybuilding training myself, I'm not knocking it, it is the best form of training to transform your body astectically. Lets be honest though, there's not a very high level of athleticism involved in it.

I know bodybuilders and bikini models who compete and they are some of the unfittest and non athletic people I know, relying on ped's like a crutch, wrecking havoc on their body's.

Anybody can go into a gym and lift weights. What makes good bodybuilders good, is there dedication and commitment to the cause, this is what seperares them from the average lifter, not their athletic ability, there's a very low level required to partake. Even the most complex of exercises such as the dead lift can be mastered fairly fast by anyone with a minimal fitness level.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I know bodybuilders and bikini models who compete and they are some of the unfittest and non athletic people I know

Really? I find that hard to believe. Bodybuilding may not have the same level of athleticism as Gymnastics for example, but they're still fit. To say they're some of the unfittest people you know has to be an exaggeration.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

mufcboy1999 if you don't have a question for Kelly, can I suggest you take the sport or not sport discussion to the Strength and Strength Sports forum?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Since when is athleticism a requirement for something to be considered a sport? Snooker, golf, darts, cricket say hello.

Well i it like any other sport, there are people who will always compete at an amateur level either because they love doing it or because they don't have the standards or opportunities to become a professional. I think on the whole the sport of Bodybuilding is getting a lot more attention with fitness becoming topical and trendy. Places like Instagram and Twitter are glamorizing fitness, which in my opinion is great. Its become cool to be involved in fitness and to lift weights or take part in yoga. It seems to take between 3 & 5 years for trends in the USA to influence Ireland on a large scale. I know Bodybuilding has been around for decades, but with the introduction of smaller more realistic category's i think the industry and interest is going to continue to grow and strengthen. I think individuals who participate on an amateur will start to look further a field to take part in shows, where they could potentially get their hands on a pro card. I can see it happening now, plus the standards in the country seem to be really growing which is needed to make it at a pro level. A big issue is that the sport has exploded recently making it even tougher to turn professional, as the number of competitors is just out of this world.

I think we have to give credit to anybody who participates in bodybuilding, i actually in fact have MORE respect for individuals who do it on an amateur level. These people compete with ZERO support, the expenses involved in competing at an amateur level is just nuts and the sheer love of the sport drives them to continue. Its really admirable, at least professionals have big sponsorship's and can work full time in the industry. The rest just grind day in and day out to try and make it as a champion.

Firstly, I'm quite impressed. You look great.
    You actually remind me of a cross between a former professional wrestler Trish Stratus and as mentioned, Kelly from Saved by the Bell.

I think I read earlier on that you said bodybuilding isn't that popular in Ireland or rather it's not evolved enough to have it as popular as in other countries.
    I've seen many strongmen from the UK and a few from Ireland. I understand it's a completely different sport.
    But given how it does seem to have a success, for example, Britain's Strongest Man contest, what would you imagine would give the bodybuilding scene in Ireland greater recognition so that someone like yourself would be seen as a legitimate competitor and not just an amaetur or hobbyist*

*I'm not saying you're either of those but I'm going by you saying that anyone who does bodybuilding is seen as one of them since Ireland is behind in the sport.

Great point and i am actually going to adopt that comment when people tell me bodybuilding isnt a sport. As i seem to get that a lot, which can be very frustrating for me. People dont seem to be willing to give it the credit it deserves.

Thanks for that

Since when is athleticism a requirement for something to be considered a sport? Snooker, golf, darts, cricket say hello.

Your opinion genuinely amazes me and actually is quite frustrating for me to hear, and i am really sorry for you that you feel that way. Like others down to very little knowledge about the sport. If you could only see the hours and hours spent in the gym, or doing cardio you would change your opinion very quickly. Unfortunately bodybuilding doesn't get the credit it deserves, as people only see the show day which involves the tan, bikini and stage posing. That is the tiniest part of the sport. 98% is physical endeavors to get you to that stage. People seem to be very closed minded about it, probably because of the small attire required for the day. That however is an essential part of it, how else can you show the muscle development on the body? The public sometimes see it as sexualistation but when you are involved, each athlete across all category's have nothing but respect for each other as they know the amount of physical work that they have put in. As one of the guys said here, since when is athleticism involved in sport Golf, darts, snooker etc. The funny thing is its probably the toughest sport you could be involved in, and definitely has the most grueling diet plans to go along with it.

I urge you to try and do a bodybuilding plan for even two weeks, you would soon realize the amount of training involved. 6 am workouts for 120 minutes, eating every 2.5 hours back in the evening for another 105 minutes of exercise. Limited diet, exhaustion, the mental strength required to follow through. No social life. You would soon change your mind that its not a sport

Thank you great that people see how much work is involved
    fizzypish wrote: »

Yes everybody can lift weights, but how many people do you see at the gym who are just average gym goers, they might train twice a week three times if lucky. Could be a member of a gym for three years and never really look that different.
    The reality is sports and physical activity is for everyone, just like football, tennis and even darts. Its when people take it to a competitive level that i believe it becomes a sport and what makes those individuals an athlete. i would like to see 1% of people put in the work that i do. I think because its associated with aesthetics it gets a bad rep and people are less receptive to it. That being said all people who take anything to a competitive level deserve respect and credit.

I played hockey for years, which is ''considered'' a sport. Yet the amount of work both physical and mental associated with Bodybuilding has absolutely NO comparison. I trained with my hockey team two afternoons a week, which involved a lot of sprints. Then we usually had one match on a Sunday for 45 minutes. So 2 hours and 45 minutes of playing hockey a week gets the sport merit over training twice a day for Bodybuilding, which typically in contrast involves 24 hours a week training. Bodybuilding you are also on diet 24/7 no days off. I dont even think i need to put a conclusion on the above statement.

Again i find it very sad that people see it only as bikini modelling. Race car drivers, darts players, horse racers get the credit why not bodybuilders ?

Listen I love bodybuilding training myself, I'm not knocking it, it is the best form of training to transform your body astectically. Lets be honest though, there's not a very high level of athleticism involved in it.

I know bodybuilders and bikini models who compete and they are some of the unfittest and non athletic people I know, relying on ped's like a crutch, wrecking havoc on their body's.

Anybody can go into a gym and lift weights. What makes good bodybuilders good, is there dedication and commitment to the cause, this is what seperares them from the average lifter, not their athleticic ability, there's a very low level required to partake. Even the most complex of exercises such as the dead lift can be mastered fairly fast by anyone with a minimal fitness level.

There is all types of fitness, not just explosive strength or the ability to run for a long period of time. Physical endeavor is physical endeavor

Really? I find that hard to believe. Bodybuilding may not have the same level of athleticism as Gymnastics for example, but they're still fit. To say they're some of the unfittest people you know has to be an exaggeration.

Your opinion genuinely amazes me and actually is quite frustrating for me to hear, and i am really sorry for you that you feel that way. Like others down to very little knowledge about the sport. If you could only see the hours and hours spent in the gym, or doing cardio you would change your opinion very quickly. Unfortunately bodybuilding doesn't get the credit it deserves, as people only see the show day which involves the tan, bikini and stage posing. That is the tiniest part of the sport. 98% is physical endeavors to get you to that stage. People seem to be very closed minded about it, probably because of the small attire required for the day. That however is an essential part of it, how else can you show the muscle development on the body? The public sometimes see it as sexualistation but when you are involved, each athlete across all category's have nothing but respect for each other as they know the amount of physical work that they have put in. As one of the guys said here, since when is athleticism involved in sport Golf, darts, snooker etc. The funny thing is its probably the toughest sport you could be involved in, and definitely has the most grueling diet plans to go along with it.

I urge you to try and do a bodybuilding plan for even two weeks, you would soon realize the amount of training involved. 6 am workouts for 120 minutes, eating every 2.5 hours back in the evening for another 105 minutes of exercise. Limited diet, exhaustion, the mental strength required to follow through. No social life. You would soon change your mind that its not a sport

To be honest Kelly like I said I actually love bodybuilding training for its aesthetic benefits. I'm qualified to a degree in personal training and have worked in gyms before as well as knowing several people who compete, I know the ins and outs of the drugs that are involved in 90% of competitors, true natural bodybuilding is pretty much non existent. That's why I said those who compete are some of the most unhealthiest people I know, don't ever judge a book by its cover just because someone looks in good condition externally, that same person isn't exactly doing his organs any good internally.

I know my opinion is harsh, but its true. I've seen bikini models like yourself take every drug under the sun as well as litirally starving themselves in the process. It wrecks complete havoc on their bodys metabolism and hormones, all to pose on a stage, where no physical exertion is required to compete, just posing, hence me saying it's more like a beauty pageant than a sport. Don't be so foolish to think that's there's not an elite level of skill and technique involved in sports such as golf, such levels that are not required for bikini modeling or bodybuilding.

I'm 85kg, 5"11 and 10 ℅ body fat, I've been in and out of gyms since I was 14. This is not a bandwagon I've jumped on kelly, health and fitness is a genuine passion of mine. I've never lived a talifornia or jersey shore lifestyle promoting the exact opposite of what your trying to preach now. I lift weights 5 to 6 times per week, cardio, flexabilty etc all included in a very intense, well balanced program as well as playing sports. I don't find my diet a struggle because it's not temporary, hence me being able to maintain or improve my body comp without ever having to go through this bulking and cutting rubbish thats in all honesty promoting the typical crash diet.

I'm sorry to come off strong, but the vast majority of people interested in these competions have been brainwashed into thinking that these physiques on display are healthy and attainable naturally, that all these pro bodybuilders, bikini models get their results through diet and supplements, its for the best part complete and utter rubbish.

A women like yourself full off estrogen naturally being able to hit low levels of body fat, do you think that's healthy without damaging your body? I know of girls who mess with your usuals such as clenbutoral or even mild androgens such as anavar to get stage contest lean because they come to the realization that most pro bikini model physiques are not relistic and maintainable goals without some sort of aid e.g. drugs of some kind.

The reason why amatuer bodybuilding and bikini modeling doesnt the get respect you think it deserves is because the industry as a whole is fake, a narcissistic culture, full of people doing it for the wrong reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I think this perception comes back to the debate which is whether activities where the outcome is determined by the opinion of another (i.e. gymnastics, bodybuilding, ice skating, etc) can be deemed to be equivalent to an activity where the individual/team can determine the outcome (i.e. driving faster, scoring more running faster, lifting more etc).

If you can finish the activity and know that your effort will make you the winner/loser - then it tends to get deemed a sport. However, if you rely on the opinion of another then is it still a sport or does it shift into 'performanace arts'?

Adding to this, there are those who would not deem snooker, darts, bowls, etc to be sports but would define them as games, i.e. physical exertion and determinable outcome = sport.

I can see both sides of the debate, but I think it to say there is no athleticism is nonsense. In sport you train to your requirements. Long distance runners etc would have a very poor level of strength, but high cardio levels. Those in the bodybuilding and strength fields are the opposite. They are all classed as atheletes. Lifting heavier, further, higher, for longer are sporting events that date way back into history. Simialr with running etc. They are the oldest forms of sport.

In the actual competition, yes perhaps you can say that is it showing off your figure, but to get to that point requires much more dedication, dietary adherence, and commitment that many other traditinoal 'sports'. Does everything have to be pigeonholed?

However, please lets not sidetrack what has been a great AMA.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

To be honest Kelly like I said I actually love bodybuilding training for its aesthetic benefits. I'm qualified to a degree in personal training and have worked in gyms before as well as knowing several people who compete, I know the ins and outs of the drugs that are involved in 90% of competitors, true natural bodybuilding is pretty much non existent. That's why I said those who compete are some of the most unhealthiest people I know, don't ever judge a book by its cover just because someone looks in good condition externally, that same person isn't exactly doing his organs any good internally.

I know my opinion is harsh, but its true. I've seen bikini models like yourself take every drug under the sun as well as litirally starving themselves in the process. It wrecks complete havoc on their bodys metabolism and hormones, all to pose on a stage, where no physical exertion is required to compete, just posing, hence me saying it's more like a beauty pageant than a sport. Don't be so foolish to think that's there's not an elite level of skill and technique involved in sports such as golf, such levels that are not required for bikini modeling or bodybuilding.

I'm 85kg, 5"11 and 10 ℅ body fat, I've been in and out of gyms since I was 14. This is not a bandwagon I've jumped on kelly, health and fitness is a genuine passion of mine. I've never lived a talifornia or jersey shore lifestyle promoting the exact opposite of what your trying to preach now. I lift weights 5 to 6 times per week, cardio, flexabilty etc all included in a very intense, well balanced program as well as playing sports. I don't find my diet a struggle because it's not temporary, hence me being able to maintain or improve my body comp without ever having to go through this bulking and cutting rubbish thats in all honesty promoting the typical crash diet.

I'm sorry to come off strong, but the vast majority of people interested in these competions have been brainwashed into thinking that these physiques on display are healthy and attainable naturally, that all these pro bodybuilders, bikini models get their results through diet and supplements, its for the best part complete and utter rubbish.

A women like yourself full off estrogen naturally being able to hit low levels of body fat, do you think that's healthy without damaging your body? I know of girls who mess with your usuals such as clenbutoral or even mild androgens such as anavar to get stage contest lean because they come to the realization that most pro bikini model physiques are not relistic and maintainable goals without some sort of aid e.g. drugs of some kind.

The reason why amatuer bodybuilding and bikini modeling doesnt the get respect you think it deserves is because the industry as a whole is fake, a narcissistic culture, full of people doing it for the wrong reasons.

Exactly what is the point of this diatribe? Are you insinuating that Kelly takes drugs? If not then all of this is completely irrelevant to the AMA.

Also, regarding whether or not it is a sport. First your requirement was athleticism (you may want to go an look that word up in the dictionary btw). Now it's skill and technique. What skill and technique is required for long distance runners, or rowers, or cyclists? Besides....err.. running, rowing and cycling? They require no specialized skill, just practice. Are they not sports either?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Say you were in an aggressive situation where violence against yourself was looking likely, would you fancy your chances of being able to handle yourself?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Hmm i would definitely say that i am stronger than i have ever been. Its hard to say what me reaction would be in a situation like you suggested, im a really easy going patient individual so i dont think i would be jumping into any kind of altercation regardless of my strength. That being said i am well able to handle myself, i would always use words over anything physical initially. Again hard to say what you would do unless you were in the situation, fight or flight ? who knows

Say you were in an aggressive situation where violence against yourself was looking likely, would you fancy your chances of being able to handle yourself?

Oh of course i was not insinuating that you didnt, it was just a generalization for most people. I think you have hit the nail on the head, i see it as an extreme sport not a healthy lifestyle programme. Obviously because the body is involved, as well as diet and exercise that people see it as a symbol for healthy living. You are right bodybuilding CAN wreck havoc on your health if you dont approach it in the right way, i am very aware that drugs are present in the industry especially in the bigger category's. Its very sad but unfortunately is a reality in many sports not just Bodybuilding.Sure look at tennis and wrestling. For me personally i want to think longterm, although the low bodyfat and restricted diet has the potential to be dangerous i do always take it into consideration. I am a very open minded about peoples opinions, and of course everyone deserves one. I can only speak about bodybuilding from my perspective and the amount of physical input involved. The dedication involved has been significant and i will always consider it a sport. I actually didnt live the opposite lifestyle prior to bodybuilding, ok i didnt know much about training or dieting but i have always enjoyed sports as i said before i have played hockey and took part in athletics. Just a stereotype designed by Tallafornia. For me Bodybuilding has been a hugely positive life changing experience. I dont think its fair for somebody on the outside saying they are doing it for the wrong reasons, its an extreme thing to take on for the craic. Very little chances of getting a pro card, VERY VERY little exposure if thats what people are looking for.

Again thank you for your opinion and i really do see where you are coming from, but for me its been a life saver.

Very well written piece and couldnt agree more. It is certainly not a traditional sport, but the great thing is that more exciting new sports are coming to the forefront. Strong men competitions, UFC Fighting i say bring it on. There is a big push to get classic bodybuilding into the Olympics, i think that will be the big switch for perceptions.

I think this perception comes back to the debate which is whether activities where the outcome is determined by the opinion of another (i.e. gymnastics, bodybuilding, ice skating, etc) can be deemed to be equivalent to an activity where the individual/team can determine the outcome (i.e. driving faster, scoring more running faster, lifting more etc).

If you can finish the activity and know that your effort will make you the winner/loser - then it tends to get deemed a sport. However, if you rely on the opinion of another then is it still a sport or does it shift into 'performanace arts'?

Adding to this, there are those who would not deem snooker, darts, bowls, etc to be sports but would define them as games, i.e. physical exertion and determinable outcome = sport.

I can see both sides of the debate, but I think it to say there is no athleticism is nonsense. In sport you train to your requirements. Long distance runners etc would have a very poor level of strength, but high cardio levels. Those in the bodybuilding and strength fields are the opposite. They are all classed as atheletes. Lifting heavier, further, higher, for longer are sporting events that date way back into history. Simialr with running etc. They are the oldest forms of sport.

In the actual competition, yes perhaps you can say that is it showing off your figure, but to get to that point requires much more dedication, dietary adherence, and commitment that many other traditinoal 'sports'. Does everything have to be pigeonholed?

However, please lets not sidetrack what has been a great AMA.

I just wanted to say a massive thank you to everyone who has got involved with this discussion. The questions and conversation have been really enjoyable, which comes as a total surprise to me. I genuinely was expecting being inundated with negativity and hate, both because of my history on television or because of my transition into the world of Bodybuilding. Things of that nature have become the norm in my life, and i tend to expect the worst. Obviously in a situation like this one, the shield of anonymity gives people an opportunity to be really nasty and argumentative. This experience was in fact the very opposite, really relaxed and fun discussion with some really super questions and points. I was also very pleased to hear that i have surprised people on an intellectual level, again the Reality Tv stereotype can be very frustrating. Also might make people think a little deeper before they type cast a person and make an assumed impression. Just because somebody takes part in a show like this doesn't make them uneducated or uncultured, maybe they just like new experiences and likes to take part in unusual situation's for fun and adventure. Who Know's ?

This will be my last post of this AMA and i want to thank everyone for getting involved and sharing their thoughts, both positive and negative. I have definitely been encouraged to do more open discussions in future, i really love that people can be so curious and open minded. You can follow my journey online coming into the future, i will be taking a short break from competing due to work commitments. A lot of really exciting opportunities have come up for me as a result of my industry change, so i will be heavily focusing on these projects short term. I dont like to do anything half arsed, whether competing or work. I will still be training six days a week with a healthy but more varied diet. I aim to compete again in March 2016 in the Arnold Classic Amateur, which takes place in Ohio.

I urge you all to join me over social media, possibly follow me into the future. All of the support i have received is hugely appreciated and again i thank you all for getting involved.

Kind Regards and make sure to enjoy the long weekend.

Kelly Donegan

Facebook / https://www.facebook.com/kellydoneganireland?fref=ts
    Twitter / https://twitter.com/itskellydonegan
    Instagram / https://instagram.com/itskellydonegan/

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Thank you so much Kelly for giving so much time to do this and for some really interesting answers to our questions, it's been fantastic.

It's time to close this up now,best of luck for your next competition Kelly, I think you might have a few new supporters here :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement