Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

let go for bad performance

Options
  • 21-05-2015 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Im writing on behalf of concerned employer.

One of our staff that was hired roughly 4 months ago was let go today for bad performance (not able to meet production quotes while everyone else can).

During our meeting he said "I wouldve left this job but I have to be let go otherwise i wont be getting dolle".

Is there anyway you could report this person to social welfare for abusing system?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

willuer wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Im writing on behalf of concerned employer.

One of our staff that was hired roughly 4 months ago was let go today for bad performance (not able to meet production quotes while everyone else can).

During our meeting he said "I wouldve left this job but I have to be let go otherwise i wont be getting dolle".

Is there anyway you could report this person to social welfare for abusing system?

Thanks

No..
    What have they done wrong ?

Its factual that if they left the job because they hated it or were useless at it, it would be something like 8-10 weeks before they got a payment.. This way they can claim straight away..

The big deal, and where I'd be hitting back is with a future reference. If kept factual your friend ;), can tell anyone who rings that they were let go "due to poor performance".

But to be honest its best let it go, people with this attitude against hard work/employers/SW are out there, you'll meet them every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

They're better off. The employer has nothing to be concerned about.

Known a few fellas like this before and it sickens me to hear of how much they hate work, and all the things they've screwed up at work because I know what their end game is. At least it doesn't look like this guy is going to be playing the victim and giving out about his former employer. He got what he wanted and employer got rid of someone who didn't want to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Think medium term OP.

The ex-employer goes to Welfare, they believe you and tell the guy he's on a stand-down because of what he did.

It's pretty obvious to him that it was the employer who told them.

Best case, the worst that happens is that he can't pay his rent, so gets evicted and ends up in a homeless shelter (paid for by you the tax payer). More likely he gets angry with you and takes some illegal action which damages your business in some way.

I know it sucks that people can get away with this. But sometimes you have to think about the greater good and the rest of your employees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Don't really see that he's done anything wrong. Perhaps when he started the job he realised he's not well suited to the particular industry. Unfortunately his hands are tied, he can't leave voluntarily or there'll be no support available to him

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

SW will disallow his claim for period if he lost his due to his own fault as they would if he left it. The employer is sometimes asked to compete a form for the reason employment was terminated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

tomred1 wrote: »
    SW will disallow his claim for period if he lost his due to his own fault as they would if he left it. The employer is sometimes asked to compete a form for the reason employment was terminated.

'Gross Negligence' is a criterion for delaying payment, wouldn't be sure if 'poor performance' could be classed under that heading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

tomred1 wrote: »

Are you sure about that?

Edit. I think that's just applicable to gross misconduct. Not meeting quotas isn't that.

Don't see what the problem is here OP. You want rid. The employee wants to go but he's hardly going to oblige you by leaving and within the probation period you can get rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Emsloe

It's out of the company's hands OP. I think what you're saying is that he underperformed on purpose so he would be fired and so would be entitled to the dole...people do it all the time. You can't really prove it in this case anyway, and if Social Welfare stopped his claim he would appeal and win for that reason - nothing can be proven.?....other than he wasn't working out in the job and was let go.

Advertisement