Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical socket in boiler room

Options
  • 21-05-2015 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm planning to replace my current thermostat with an arduino based thermostat; the problem is that the IC based thermostat will need 5V DC and the current thermostat obviously uses 220V AC.

Since I don't want to have a onboard transformer on the PCB, otherwise I will have to insulate and box that too, I think that the best way is to have a phone charger which output 5V from 220V and use that to power the arduino thermostat.

Therefore I need to find a 220V close to the gas boiler and the hot water cylinder, do the regulation allow for a 220V AC wall socket to be installed close to those two items?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would imagine that what you want to do is find a thermostat that will provide the boiler with a dry contact. Most thermostats can do this. That way the stat switches a 5V supply that originates from the boiler. I would be surprised if the boiler requires an external 5V supply. Can you post a darwing or wiring schematic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

Hi,
    sorry I don't have a drawing at the moment but I will post it tonight.

All the circuitry is in place, the thermostat will switch a 220V to the boiler as the current thermostat is doing now; the only difference is that the current thermostat requires 220V to power itself, while the new thermostat will require 5V. So I was wondering if I can place a power outlet in the room and use a normal transformer to provide the new thermostat with 5V.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    I would imagine that what you want to do is find a thermostat that will provide the boiler with a dry contact. Most thermostats can do this. That way the stat switches a 5V supply that originates from the boiler. I would be surprised if the boiler requires an external 5V supply. Can you post a darwing or wiring schematic ?

The 5 volts is what's needed to power the arduino controlled circuit in the new stat by the look of it.

If this stat circuit has a relay on its board, a set of contacts on it can switch the 230v control for the boiler. 5 volts is needed to power the stat circuit.

Advertisement