Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MR16 bulbs, 10 or 12v

Options
  • 21-05-2015 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭

Had some spotlights put in recently, most of the bulbs blew over time and want to buy a decent set of replacements, does it matter if they are 12v? I have 6 spots and all but 1 are 10v with just 1 12v. I seem to remember the Sparks saying 12s would blow the transformer.

Comments

Incandescents? Shouldn't make any difference to the transformer they'd just be dimmer.
    MR16 are 12V.
    Yer sparks was fibbing or covering his tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hi
    Just reading your post and it looks it might be a little off, I could be wrong though.
    How how long are the spots In?

Is there a chance that you are mixing up 10V with 10 Watts.

I wouldn't be so quick to pull the tradesman up before I checked this.

Is there a chance you have a number of LED fittings running from one psu/driver/transformer say a 60W max unit and that if for example you had all six fittings from the one supply that he's asking you to keep it at 6x10Watt lamps (60W total) and not 6x12Watt (72W total) so as not to overload the supply.

A 10V spot would not be the most common unit out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Stoner wrote: »
    Hi
    Just reading your post and it looks it might be a little off, I could be wrong though.
    How how long are the spots In?

Is there a chance that you are mixing up 10V with 10 Watts.

I wouldn't be so quick to pull the tradesman up before I checked this.

Is there a chance you have a number of LED fittings running from one psu/driver/transformer say a 60W max unit and that if for example you had all six fittings from the one supply that he's asking you to keep it at 6x10Watt lamps (60W total) and not 6x12Watt (72W total) so as not to overload the supply.

A 10V spot would not be the most common unit out there.

I would imagine this is the case as well having just installed some of these in my own house this week:
    http://negergy.com.au/products/philips-led-driver-12v-electronic-transformer

They are only rated to 10 watts. Most 60 watt transformers only work down as low as 20 watts so will not work with LED's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

The bulbs are in about 6 months. I got the name wrong, they are GZ4 LEDs. They are in 2 parts of the ceiling, 3 in each section.

Still 12V.
    GZ4 = GU4 = MR11 = G4 compatible.

If you can find the transformer best see what the min and max load is. As well as the voltage and whether it's AC or DC output.

• Advertisement
Advertisement