Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental advice

Options
  • 21-05-2015 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all. My lease is due for renewal the end of july and my landlord wont be renewing it because of rent increases, I have baby number 2 on the way in august and nowhere to go, its extremely difficult to find another place, especially somewhere willing to take rent supplement. Theres no room at family members for us to stay. Im on council list 2 years any advice in what I should do, or anyone been in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

becky1993 wrote: »
    Hi all. My lease is due for renewal the end of july and my landlord wont be renewing it because of rent increases, I have baby number 2 on the way in august and nowhere to go, its extremely difficult to find another place, especially somewhere willing to take rent supplement. Theres no room at family members for us to stay. Im on council list 2 years any advice in what I should do, or anyone been in this situation?

There isn't really anything you can do, OP, except keep looking for a LL who will take Rent Allowance.
    Have you been approached for the RAS scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 becky1993

No ive looked into the RAS scheme and nobody is interested , there are so many people trying to rent so landlords are going to be interested in the people with steady jobs and not people with rent supplement. Dont know what to do. Any idea what the council will do for me if I dont find anywhere ?

No ive looked into the RAS scheme and nobody is interested , there are so many people trying to rent so landlords are going to be interested in the people with steady jobs and not people with rent supplement. Dont know what to do. Any idea what the council will do for me if I dont find anywhere ?

They will put you up in a hostel or other emergency accommodation if you are going to be made homeless.
    But I doubt you'll want that, so there isn't anything else you can do really.

You're going to be waiting a very long time for council home and I understand why LL's won't take RA, but have you considered looking at places in a different county?

Certain counties have lower rent rates and so you might be more successful renting there?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 becky1993

I think a different county would be too far from family, im not good with dealing with been away from family especially when I have a newborn, there are plenty of vacant council houses in kildare ive heard, and know of a few. Just cant understand why people are just been left to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I think a different county would be too far from family, im not good with dealing with been away from family especially when I have a newborn, there are plenty of vacant council houses in kildare ive heard, and know of a few. Just cant understand why people are just been left to wait.

Unfortunately with 100,000 on the waiting lists across the country not everyone can be priority,
    All you can do is either wait out the current 8-10 year wait to be housed or as fussyonion suggested look further afield .
    There's thousands of us in the same boat

• Advertisement

People are being left to wait, OP, because there are thousands on the list and not enough houses.
    South Dublin County Council's list is an 8-10 year wait and it's not the only one.
    You don't have the luxury, unfortunately, of being able to pick and choose where you live.
    I had to move to another county when I was on RA and I didn't like being far from my parents, but needs must at the time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Becky- I'd seriously suggest you contact Threshold in the first instance. They can advocate on your behalf. Unfortunately the reason many landlords don't want RA tenants- is the rent allowance is just so much less than a landlord can get for renting the property on the open market. If the landlord is doing everything properly- and above board- then unfortunately he is loosing a small fortune on your tenancy.

One option- there is a discretionary topup that CWOs can apply to RA limits- to bring it closer to market rates- it would be worth exploring whether, or not, this might apply in your case- and whether or not this would be acceptable to the landlord (it'll still be below open market rates- but not as starkly so).

Where are you situated? I'd echo the comments here about looking further afield. South Dublin has an 11 year waiting list for council housing at the moment- it simply isn't going to happen........

If you move in with a relative- even in an emergency manner- you will be deemed accommodated by the Council- and not in need of emergency accommodation- so be careful how you manage your situation.

Talk to Threshold in the first instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭1moreyr

fussyonion wrote: »
    There isn't really anything you can do, OP, except keep looking for a LL who will take Rent Allowance.
    Have you been approached for the RAS scheme?

Avoid the RAS scheme at all costs. I went on it and when my lease expired my landlady didn't want to renew it as rents had increased so myself and my daughter have now been homeless for one and a half months (luckily we can stay with people and don't have to go to a hostel). Once you are in the RAS scheme you are stuck in it. Landlords don't want to sign up to it because there are more requirements to meet (minimum BER certification of a D2, electrical cert and property has to have fire alarms, distinguishers, carbon monoxide monitors) and this costs about €600. On top of the low rent limits you have extra requirements so a lot of properties that sign up are very dodgy ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

I'm sorry to have to say it op but the only option open to you if you can't find somewhere before your tenancy is over is to present as homeless at your local authority homeless unit. You will be provided with emergency accommodation either a hotel or hostel usually. People from the homeless list are to be given priority for council housing but regardless of this you will still be in for a long wait. Best of luck with your situation, it's a tough time for you with a baby on the way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Seriously suggest you contact Threshold first- before you go down this road.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

1moreyr wrote: »
    Landlords don't want to sign up to it because there are more requirements to meet (minimum BER certification of a D2, electrical cert and property has to have fire alarms, distinguishers, carbon monoxide monitors) and this costs about €600. On top of the low rent limits you have extra requirements so a lot of properties that sign up are very dodgy ones.

All essential for safety of tenants ?

The RAS Scheme will suit many tenants others no .
    But if the op went on the scheme and got a long term rental from it surely that's better than been homeless

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭1moreyr

Gatling wrote: »
    All essential for safety of tenants ?

The RAS Scheme will suit many tenants others no .
    But if the op went on the scheme and got a long term rental from it surely that's better than been homeless

The requirements for RAS should be a standard for all rental properties but with a housing shortage landlords are not signing up to the council as they are getting more money renting privately without having to get the required certification.

I suppose it depends on the area you live in but there are very few RAS properties where we are. We were sent to see an apartment by RAS that was a disgrace (problem with condensation on windows, walls damp and spongy - when questioned on this landlady said that the walls were 'textured', big holes in the hall floor, filthy bathroom - cracked old tiles etc) and this was our first offer. My daughter who is 7 was stuck to me and said she felt very sorry for the person who would have to live there. We were desperate, but not that desperate. Some poor person is going to get stuck there and living in a place like that might be better for some people who might otherwise be homeless, but no one should have to live in a place that is damp and depressing and could have long term health consequences. The council don't care and shoves tenants anywhere. I have no idea how that place could have passed any kind of minimum standards.

The new scheme that the gov announced last week for long term leasing sounds good. It will offer tax incentives to landlords which will hopefully bring more affordable housing onto the market so maybe that might be an option for the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP i assume you are in a a city location have you tried in the country ? rent allowance houses might be easier to get

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭qwerty1991

Hi Op,

Sorry to hear about your situation, with a baby due it must be stressfull!

However I do think you must start to look further afield for accommodation.

Are you willing to make yourself homeless just to get accommodation close to your family? That is kind of selfish in my opinion especially with a child and another on the way.

There is far more accommodation available in rural areas. Yes you may be an hour from your family but it's a home for you and your kids.

I understand your family supports you but thousands of people have to move to areas more affordable to them when renting privately leaving behind familial support so being on rent allowance you must also look at that option also.

No one is entitled to a home in a certain area, and I do think you must think of your children. Go on daft and look at different areas and hopefully you should find something.

Don't allow yourself to become homeless in the hope the council will bump you up the list in your area (not that your post is implying that or anything) because there are probably people waiting on the list for a lot longer than you, the list could be years long.

Good luck in finding somewhere.

Advertisement