Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Passport

• 21-05-2015 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hello.
    I'm planning to move to France around the end of this year and want to take my cat with me.
    He received all his primary vaccinations as a kitten, and was also neutered and microchipped.
    I would travel by plane to France (I heard Aerlingus accepts small dogs and cats but Ryanair don't?)..

I'd like to know:
    - How to get the pet passport, how much it costs, how long it takes to get it, do I have to vaccinate my cat again?
    - Does the passport need a pet photo? what size? any regulations on this?
    - Any rules/regulations about the carrier used to travel with the cat?

Is there anything that I should know? This is the first time I travel with a pet, and this is not for a vacation, but the day I take him with me, there will be no coming back, so it's very important to be able to travel with him with no problems or hassle. I want to do everything right to take my best friend with me to France.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Lucky you heading to France avec le chat!

Here's some basic info: http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/ and http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/getapetpassport/

Some good info here too:

PET PASSPORT SCHEME – INFORMATION FOR PET OWNERS.
    As of 1st January 2012 it becomes much easier to travel with your pet within Europe.
    Please be aware that his information only applies to travel to European and certain other ‘listed countries’, which include the US and Canada. If you are travelling to unlisted countries please be aware the requirements may be much stricter, you should contact Defra for more information.

STEP 1 – IDENTIFICATION:
    The animal must have an ISO standard identification microchip implanted beneath the skin. This can be done any time before rabies vaccination or even on the same day, but it must be before the vaccination.
    STEP 2 – RABIES VACCINATION:
    This must be given by a veterinary surgeon and the microchip will be read immediately before vaccination.
    FROM 1ST JANUARY 2012 A BLOOD TEST IS NO LONGER REQUIRED.
    STEP 3 – COMPLETION OF THE PET PASSPORT:
    Now that a blood test is longer required we can issue the passport at the time of the vaccination. At O’Shea & Bramley we supply and issue the passport.
    HOWEVER, your pet cannot travel till 21 days after the rabies vaccination has been administered.
    Step 4 – RETURNING HOME:
    Pets must be treated with a wormer between 24 and 120 hours before embarking for travel back. These treatments must be given by a vet.
    From 1st January 2012 the requirement for tick treatment will be dropped although we do strongly recommend having this done.
    WHILE OVERSEAS it is important to realise that the Pet passport scheme is designed only to protect human health, not the health of your pet.
    We strongly advise the use of tick prevention (please note Advocate DOES NOT protect against ticks) while travelling due to the risk of serious tick borne disease, such as Babesia and Ehlichia which are not currently in this country.
    Please speak to us about the best treatments before you travel In addition Heartworm (Advocate is effective) and Leishmania are present in some parts of Europe.
    KEEPING YOUR ANIMALS’ PET PASSPORT UP-TO-DATE: WE CANNOT OFFER RABIES VACCINATION REMINDERS.
    We do send them but, it is your responsibility to ensure the booster is administered in time.
    Following the first vaccination the passport will have a ‘valid until’ date. To keep the passport up-to-date, a rabies booster vaccination must be given on or before that expiry date.
    If you miss the revaccination date, even by one day the 21day rule will be re-applied before you can travel again .
    PARTICULAR COUNTRY REQUIREMENTS:
    Certain EU countries have their own requirements on top of the Pet Travel Scheme. Currently Sweden requires tick and tapeworm treatment no more than 10 days before entry. Malta has certain additional entry requirements.

There are no requirements for pets travelling directly between the UK and the Republic of Ireland.
    You are advised to contact DEFRA or the particular country’s Embassy or ministry of agriculture to confirm requirements.
    TRAVEL TO NON-EU LISTED COUNTRIES:
    Many non-EU listed countries have additional requirements for importing animals. You are advised to contact DEFRA and the country’s Embassy to confirm requirements.

We advise you do this in plenty of time. It is your responsibility to find out what treatments and paperwork your pet requires for travel to a particular country.
    Please see our separate leaflet on exports.
    REGARDING LONG-STAYS:
    If a pet stays in another country for more than a certain period of time, it may become subject to that country’s rules. For example, pets staying in France for more than 3 months are classed as residents of that country and must therefore have annual vaccinations against rabies.

PARTICULAR BREEDS:
    Certain breeds of dog, classed as dangerous dogs, may be forbidden entry to certain countries. For some countries this includes Staffordshire Bull Terriers.

Bengal cats require documentation proving that they are status F5 or beyond and a certified pedigree certificate.

So essentially: need microchip, need a minimum of 21 days between rabies shot and getting the passport, and don't need a photo (but it looks cool on the passport!)

Bon chances

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Lehmann

Lucky you heading to France avec le chat!

Here's some basic info: http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/ and http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/getapetpassport/

Some good info here too:

PET PASSPORT SCHEME – INFORMATION FOR PET OWNERS.
    As of 1st January 2012 it becomes much easier to travel with your pet within Europe.
    Please be aware that his information only applies to travel to European and certain other ‘listed countries’, which include the US and Canada. If you are travelling to unlisted countries please be aware the requirements may be much stricter, you should contact Defra for more information.

STEP 1 – IDENTIFICATION:
    The animal must have an ISO standard identification microchip implanted beneath the skin. This can be done any time before rabies vaccination or even on the same day, but it must be before the vaccination.
    STEP 2 – RABIES VACCINATION:
    This must be given by a veterinary surgeon and the microchip will be read immediately before vaccination.
    FROM 1ST JANUARY 2012 A BLOOD TEST IS NO LONGER REQUIRED.
    STEP 3 – COMPLETION OF THE PET PASSPORT:
    Now that a blood test is longer required we can issue the passport at the time of the vaccination. At O’Shea & Bramley we supply and issue the passport.
    HOWEVER, your pet cannot travel till 21 days after the rabies vaccination has been administered.
    Step 4 – RETURNING HOME:
    Pets must be treated with a wormer between 24 and 120 hours before embarking for travel back. These treatments must be given by a vet.
    From 1st January 2012 the requirement for tick treatment will be dropped although we do strongly recommend having this done.
    WHILE OVERSEAS it is important to realise that the Pet passport scheme is designed only to protect human health, not the health of your pet.
    We strongly advise the use of tick prevention (please note Advocate DOES NOT protect against ticks) while travelling due to the risk of serious tick borne disease, such as Babesia and Ehlichia which are not currently in this country.
    Please speak to us about the best treatments before you travel In addition Heartworm (Advocate is effective) and Leishmania are present in some parts of Europe.
    KEEPING YOUR ANIMALS’ PET PASSPORT UP-TO-DATE: WE CANNOT OFFER RABIES VACCINATION REMINDERS.
    We do send them but, it is your responsibility to ensure the booster is administered in time.
    Following the first vaccination the passport will have a ‘valid until’ date. To keep the passport up-to-date, a rabies booster vaccination must be given on or before that expiry date.
    If you miss the revaccination date, even by one day the 21day rule will be re-applied before you can travel again .
    PARTICULAR COUNTRY REQUIREMENTS:
    Certain EU countries have their own requirements on top of the Pet Travel Scheme. Currently Sweden requires tick and tapeworm treatment no more than 10 days before entry. Malta has certain additional entry requirements.

There are no requirements for pets travelling directly between the UK and the Republic of Ireland.
    You are advised to contact DEFRA or the particular country’s Embassy or ministry of agriculture to confirm requirements.
    TRAVEL TO NON-EU LISTED COUNTRIES:
    Many non-EU listed countries have additional requirements for importing animals. You are advised to contact DEFRA and the country’s Embassy to confirm requirements.

We advise you do this in plenty of time. It is your responsibility to find out what treatments and paperwork your pet requires for travel to a particular country.
    Please see our separate leaflet on exports.
    REGARDING LONG-STAYS:
    If a pet stays in another country for more than a certain period of time, it may become subject to that country’s rules. For example, pets staying in France for more than 3 months are classed as residents of that country and must therefore have annual vaccinations against rabies.

PARTICULAR BREEDS:
    Certain breeds of dog, classed as dangerous dogs, may be forbidden entry to certain countries. For some countries this includes Staffordshire Bull Terriers.

Bengal cats require documentation proving that they are status F5 or beyond and a certified pedigree certificate.

So essentially: need microchip, need a minimum of 21 days between rabies shot and getting the passport, and don't need a photo (but it looks cool on the passport!)

Bon chances

Merci beaucoup henryporter! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Lehmann

Getting the EU Pet Passport will be easy. But I'm looking at a few airlines traveling from Dublin to Paris for example, and traveling with a pet seems a bit complicated... If anyone had any experience, I'd be grateful if you can tell me what to do..

I was thinking Air France allows carrying a pet even in the cabin, but I see flights between Ireland and Paris on their site are carried by Cityjet which doesn't allow pets. I'm a bit confused. :confused:

I found through google search an Airsea cargo company at Dublin Airport, did anyone use them?

I didn't imagine it would be so complex to travel with a pet.

Advertisement