Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying for Leaving Cert.

• 21-05-2015 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hey all, I am 26 and back to sit my leaving Cert in 2016. Just finished summer exams.
    My 1st year back was grand, took a while for some things to come back since its been over 10 years out of school and working full time since.

At the moment I will sit 3 higher papers, Business, Biology and DCG.
    Ordinary History, English and Maths.

I have been studying and writing out pieces for each subject at night before the summer exams, and i think i did to much because when i did the exams nothing stuck :/..well some did obviously, but i was stuck on some things that i studied the night before. Like, how many topics should i cover in a subject at one time and should i repeat it over and over and do the end of unit questions etc?

Looking for some tips and good techniques for study/revision to prepare for going back in September. I want to stay on top of it over the summer.
    Some people who have just finished school or sitting the exams this year might know some helpful things.
    Any info at all will be appreciated. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 daveshere

Fair play to you! I don't think I could manage that myself, school was enough first time round!

I remember thinking I'd stay on top of things over the summer as well, but things just get away from you. However you're doing nice practical subjects, so for the summer maybe read up on biology articles online or watch biological documentaries (ie. broaden your interests). For DCG have a look at past papers for the leaving cert and have a go at them, its a very enjoyable subject. YouTube would be a MASSIVE help for the drawing if you're stuck on a particular drawing technique (I'm doing something involving these subjects in college atm).
    Maths is important. You fail it you 'fail' the leaving cert as they used to say as the majority (of a course thats half decent) requires maths. Theres not much ya can do there for the summer though.

Generally, just enjoy this summer! Next year will be difficult, but its a year where you'll learn more than you've ever learned before! You'll be grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Seanmul89

Thanks for the reply.. yeh i know, i left after the junior joined the army now i got the chance to go back. My junior i done well, got an A in maths and a B in the science, done like 9 subjects ha.. this time round am putting far to much thought into it and losing my train of thought, with to much detail and trying to use a good vocabulary. These are the little things i need to get round, so opinions on this would be good, and cheers for yours :).. i only jumped into DCG after xmas so im still catching up but im doing better to be honest than some in the class thats there since the start and done tech graphics previous, iv a keen interest for art and drawing etc :) ..

Well ill be working all summer and ill get sick of that fairly soon so ill have all the time in the evenings to go over books, iv no ties either ha!!

Advertisement