Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant can't get electricity bill

Options
  • 21-05-2015 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46,108 ✭✭✭✭

Here's the story......The tenant is in a rented bungalow since early January and the electricity account is in the landlord's name but she still hasnt received any electricity bills despite the landlord repeatedly promising to drop them in.

Part of the fist bill would be owed by the landlord but he said he would work out the balance and notify his tenant but never did. Since then another bill has been issued and he still hasnt contacted her to either state what she owes or pass the bills on for payment together with whatever amount he owes on the first bill.

So where does this leave the tenant? If the bills arent paid then Electric Ireland will disconnect the supply sooner rather than later. Maybe there's an outside chance that the landlord has been paying some or all of the bills but I would doubt it very much. She wants to change the account into her own name but doesnt have the MPRN number so she cant do that either.

In a nutshell she cant get hold of the landlord and the electric bills are stacking up. So what options does she have?

Any and all advice would be most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Did she take a meter reading when she moved in? If not then why not ?
    Go to the meter, get the serial number and get her to open an account in her name.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,108 ✭✭✭✭muffler

ted1 wrote: »
    Did she take a meter reading when she moved in? If not then why not ?
    The landlord took a reading. She didnt do so herself because she "trusted" the landlord simply because I know him. Im the tenant's dad btw.
    Go to the meter, get the serial number and get her to open an account in her name.
    Can she do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

muffler wrote: »
    The landlord took a reading. She didnt do so herself because she "trusted" the landlord simply because I know him. Im the tenant's dad btw.

Can she do that?

Yes and she should give them the meter reading that the landlord took. Lesson is to take a reading herself .

Give these guys a call with the serial number and they'll match up the mprn. 1850 20 04 06

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

In the mean time put at least €100 a month away for the bill. If I see another I didn't get the bill so I didn't know I had to pay so I can't pay threads on here I think I'm going to go postal. What did you think was keeping the lights on, fairy dust!

I realise this is not the situation you're in OP.

In the mean time put at least €100 a month away for the bill. If I see another I didn't get the bill so I didn't know I had to pay so I can't pay threads on here I think I'm going to go postal. What did you think was keeping the lights on, fairy dust!

I realise this is not the situation you're in OP.
    Appreciate the reply but not the sarcasm.

I didnt mention anything about anyone not paying or not knowing they had to pay if you read my first post. Simply put I was looking for advice as to what could be done when the landlord drags his feet and doesnt pass on the electric bill.

• Advertisement

Yes and she should give them the meter reading that the landlord took. Lesson is to take a reading herself .

Give these guys a call with the serial number and they'll match up the mprn. 1850 20 04 06
    Fully agree with what you've said regarding lesson learned. The only problem is getting hold of the landlord and the meter number. I prefer not to get involved in these situations if I can avoid it. She's big enough to stand on her own feet as they say.

Is that phone number for Electric Ireland / ESB Networks?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

In the mean time put at least €100 a month away for the bill.

Mod Note: No need for the sarcasm in the posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi muffler,

(The mods of this forum have given us authorisation to advise).

An account could be set up for this person no problem if she gets in touch with Electric Ireland (all ways to get in touch are at the end of our website's home page) with the full address and a meter-reading and MPRN. If she does not have a meter-reading, we suggest a meter-reading taken by ESB Networks for that MPRN around the time she moved in could be used (which would be viewable on the system by the advisor if/when she gets in touch). If she cannot obtain the MPRN from the landlord, a search for it can be done with the RM serial number on the meter.

A payment plan can be set up too if needed.

Kind regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

She should also take readings every month anyway just in case this issue doesn't resolve in a timely fashion and also to make sure she can identify a possible discrepancy if the landlord claims the bill is more than elected.

Hi muffler,

(The mods of this forum have given us authorisation to advise).

An account could be set up for this person no problem if she gets in touch with Electric Ireland (all ways to get in touch are at the end of our website's home page) with the full address and a meter-reading and MPRN. If she does not have a meter-reading, we suggest a meter-reading taken by ESB Networks for that MPRN around the time she moved in could be used (which would be viewable on the system by the advisor if/when she gets in touch). If she cannot obtain the MPRN from the landlord, a search for it can be done with the RM serial number on the meter.

A payment plan can be set up too if needed.

Kind regards,
    Una
    Thanks Una. I appreciate the advice and will convey that to her and hopefully she can get the matter resolved. :)

She should also take readings every month anyway just in case this issue doesn't resolve in a timely fashion and also to make sure she can identify a possible discrepancy if the landlord claims the bill is more than elected.
    I dont think there will be an issue regarding the amount to be paid by the landlord. He's just the type of guy that you cant nail down so to speak. My daughter rings and texts him regularly and on the odd occasion that he replies he always says things like he will call this day or that day but never does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Apologies, the €100 was not sarcasm though, I highly recomend putting that much away, it might come out less but people always seem to underestimate the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Thanks Una. I appreciate the advice and will convey that to her and hopefully she can get the matter resolved. :)
    No problem at all muffler - happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Here's the story......The tenant is in a rented bungalow since early January and the electricity account is in the landlord's name but she still hasnt received any electricity bills despite the landlord repeatedly promising to drop them in.
    Get your mate to turn off everything electrical, plug everything out, and check if the meter is still moving. There may be a reason why the LL doesn't know how much to charge your mate (esp if there is land or another house near the bungalow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement