Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robbery in France

• 21-05-2015 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Not wishing to create panic but did anyone hear the interview on Joe Duffy with an Irish man who had been robbed overnight in France - modus operandi of robbers was apparently gassing (into deep sleep), drilling of lock and robbing clothes and cash (but not GPS & phone). Apparently he was among about 40 other campers!!!! but he wasn't aware if any of them were robbed. Police were a bit non-plussed. He is travelling alone and experienced - i think he said motorhoming since 1979.
    Query is - can you get a simple alarm to detect the gas used?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Martin_D wrote: »
    Not wishing to create panic but did anyone hear the interview on Joe Duffy with an Irish man who had been robbed overnight in France - modus operandi of robbers was apparently gassing (into deep sleep), drilling of lock and robbing clothes and cash (but not GPS & phone). Apparently he was among about 40 other campers!!!! but he wasn't aware if any of them were robbed. Police were a bit non-plussed. He is travelling alone and experienced - i think he said motorhoming since 1979.

If you knew what gas they allegedly used I suppose you could install an alarm to detect it.Some people allege that its NO2, others ether, others claim they use you're own gas bottle yet there have been no fatalities, noone brain damaged its highly unlikely. 'I woke up with a headache and a sore throat' usually accompanies these claims. Yeah so did 90% of the other motorhomes that weren't robbed its called abundant cheap wine syndrome.

Here is the Royal College of Anesthetists take on these kind of claims:
    http://www.rcoa.ac.uk/news-and-bulletin/rcoa-news-and-statements/statement-alleged-gassing-motor-vehicles

Entire floors of hotels and houses are cleared out regularly without anyone noticing no-one claims they were gassed. Give the thieves some credit some are pretty amazing at their profession others probably just pick the van with the loudest snoring emanating from it.

I think your money would be better spent on a simple alarm with reed switches for the doors and a nice loud piezo sound bomb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

We used to fit a lot of gas alarms, and actually had a lady ring and book getting one fitted today on the back of that show. But as moodrater says , an intruder alarm would be my preferred decision. I've been fitting them this year, and we've done more than the last few years. Sad sign of the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    We used to fit a lot of gas alarms, and actually had a lady ring and book getting one fitted today on the back of that show. But as moodrater says , an intruder alarm would be my preferred decision. I've been fitting them this year, and we've done more than the last few years. Sad sign of the times.

Thanks for that - I'm a prime target so on the snoring criteria (and the wine).
    The follow up query is what price for an alarm - A Class (not that that matters)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I've seen The Royal College of Anaesthetists statement on this before, it was published in July last year, it's just a few lines and is well worth reading. If anyone knows about inducing people into a deep sleep these guys do.

As said, it's unusual nobody has reported being gassed when their house was robbed or their hotel room.

What's also most unusual is the fact that no deaths have been reported and none of the people who thought they were gassed got a blood test to confirm the presence of any residues in their blood.

Take into consideration the number of people sleeping in a confined space with the windows closed which will increase the level of CO2 in the atmosphere, add to that a little dehydration from the heat and driving long and hard the day before (we can leave out the effects of too much wine) a few coffees to keep us going and who wouldn't feel a bit groggy the next morning.

It's also interesting that these incidents seem to happen predominantly on motorway rest areas.

DON'T PARK OVERNIGHT IN MOTORWAY OR ROADSIDE REST AREAS that's the advice repeatedly given in all the guides to motorhoming.
    Don't even park and leave your motorhome unattended in such placed during the day.

Do not underestimate the competence of the well practised sneak thief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I have a SOPO gas alarm going spare, it was fitted when I took delivery of my MH ten years ago, yea that's how long this gas thing is floating around (pun).
    After the novelty wore off I gave up setting it every night, that was nine years ago.
    It was particularly annoying in the morning when doing my ablutions, when I sprayed my arm pits, the propellant in the can set it off, though it didn't make me sleepy :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

niloc1951 wrote: »
    I have a SOPO gas alarm going spare, it was fitted when I took delivery of my MH ten years ago, yea that's how long this gas thing is floating around (pun).
    After the novelty wore off I gave up setting it every night, that was nine years ago.
    It was particularly annoying in the morning when doing my ablutions, when I sprayed my arm pits, the propellant in the can set it off, though it didn't make me sleepy :rolleyes:

Feel a bit foolish now - but appreciate the comments, clarifications. The guy on the radio is still a few quid lighter, stuck for a few clothes and needed a new lock on his Merc camper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Feel a bit foolish now - but appreciate the comments, clarifications. The guy on the radio is still a few quid lighter, stuck for a few clothes and needed a new lock on his Merc camper.

Ah sure he had his 5 minutes of fame on Joe Duffy I suppose he just happened to have the maximum cash he can claim on his policy and the clothes were all armani and ralph lauren too .. those stylish thieves or maybe they just nicked his pants to stop him pursuing.

The only time I've heard the joe duffy show in the last year he had someone on swearing blind that they actually, in real life, unlocked their car with their phone another urban legend thats around for more than 10 years. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057419288

Speaking of gas alarms. If you have gas appliances especially heating that might be running at night an alarm that is worthwhile is a CO alarm . CO is lighter than air so it get mounted high up. Tesco have the 10 year fire angel ones no batteries, no turning on and off.

Advertisement