Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI Women's Mini Marathon - 1st June

Options
  • 21-05-2015 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

Doesn't seem to be a thread for this? I did search but maybe I missed it :confused:

Anyway, I'm running this for the second time and hoping for a good day! I'm more confident about it for having had a of training and the last two months of marathon training. We'll see!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Ran this last year and nailed it, it was one of those memorably enjoyable runs. I'll be out of the country for this time round so I have a whole extra year to ruin last years time ;)
    Best of luck to all heading in, it really is a great day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Ahhh just what I have been looking for, thanks TFGR :)
    Couple of questions: the course map on the website is not very helpful. I'm quite familiar with the area but anyone want to do a Bungy Girl/ Tunguska-style overview of the course?
    Also do we still have to go over the footbridge?! :eek:
    Finally, where is the turn back point, I'm guessing Fosters Avenue?
    Tia :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Ahhh just what I have been looking for, thanks TFGR :)
    Couple of questions: the course map on the website is not very helpful. I'm quite familiar with the area but anyone want to do a Bungy Girl/ Tunguska-style overview of the course?
    Also do we still have to go over the footbridge?! :eek:
    Finally, where is the turn back point, I'm guessing Fosters Avenue?
    Tia :)

We don't have to go over the footbridge again this year, TG!
    Turning point is at Fosters Avenue again - they probably will have a mat to run over for your timing chip to make sure you don't scoot under the tape on the Stillorgan Road.

Looking forward to it again this year - have done it a few times but in the last year I have been running more regularly, a lot of 5k's, a couple of 10Ks under the belt since then too so hoping next Monday goes well. I'm scared to get my hopes up to much, nothing as bad as a race not working out for you on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I do it every year for charity, I don't treat it as a proper event. Tbh my bug bear is all the people who bypass the flyover and cut out about 3.5kms of the course by crossing the road. I don't know if that affects the corrals for the following year and the numbers of genuine runners/joggers who can access them. And the persistent smoking is so annoying.

Gosh I feel bad that I'm not doing it for charity this year. The first year I did it, myself and my friend did for a suicide charity as a friend had committed suicide the previous year. I'll be honest it was a pain looking for donations. Since then I've not collected for charity but anyone I know who is doing it for charity I've made sure to sponsor them generously. I think this year I will just donate to 2 charities close to my heart.

• Advertisement

I think if they don't cross the mat they don't get a position.

Yes the women stopped and smoking along the route and even smoking in the waiting pens really bugged me last year.

Just looked up my time for last year 1hr 24mins. The year before was 1hr 31mins. Did a 10k a week ago run by the local secondary school in 1hr 8mins. If I get in on 1hr 10mins I'll be very happy.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    We don't have to go over the footbridge again this year, TG!
    Turning point is at Fosters Avenue again - they probably will have a mat to run over for your timing chip to make sure you don't scoot under the tape on the Stillorgan Road.

Looking forward to it again this year - have done it a few times but in the last year I have been running more regularly, a lot of 5k's, a couple of 10Ks under the belt since then too so hoping next Monday goes well. I'm scared to get my hopes up to much, nothing as bad as a race not working out for you on the day.

Thanks Sunny Dayz! Best of luck, it sounds like you'll do well :) (ps start conservatively and start to build after you warm into it ex 3-4k in)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Hey DG, I ran this last year (first year of the revised course) and while the memory is too hazy for a detailed report (I'm a northsider after all :D) I do remember a couple of things that might be useful. BTW that map on the WMM website doesn't look to be to scale at all: Km 4 to Km 5 looks to be underestimated and, as mentioned below the stretch from the turn at Nutley Lane up to the turnaround point goes on for a lot longer than it looks on the map :rolleyes:

Km 1 is very fast (too fast!). Very easy to go off like a bullet especially as you'll be up front with little or no congestion. Nothing of note then until Nutley Lane which has a tough enough long drag. Once you turn the corner until the turnaround I think this is actually the hardest part of the course. It's long and as far as I remember there's a dip in the road so you go down and up before you turn around, then same again as you head back towards town. Once you hit the 7Km mark or even a bit before I remember being able to get into a rhythm again and the last 3Km were pretty fast.

HTH. I didn't have a particularly good run here last year but I thought the route was pretty good and worked better than the original one which had more twists and turns.

Hope to be out cheering on Monday. Probably Donnybrook as lots of places to get a decent coffee :D.

Best of luck to everyone taking part - enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Been doing the dual carriage way bit a while now. Not as good with the detail as BG though.

Nutley avenue is a sneaky drag. The legs are being sucked out of you and you don't even realise why, but there's a drag there you don't notice.

As you turn up the dual carriageway its up hill all the way. I've been going up the footbridge and it doesn't feel half as bad as going under it looks. I noticed last week its a steep for enough climb out of it. Then when you turn at fosters ave back down the dual carriageway its a beautiful down hill under the bridge..bit of a climb out of it again and after that its downhill all the way...bit of a bump over lesson St bridge.

And then you're home.

I'm bricking it!

• Advertisement

Thanks BG and Hanny. That is perfect, just what I needed!
    Ps what are the chances of us meeting Hanny, in a crowd of 40 000?! :D

Thanks BG and Hanny. That is perfect, just what I needed!
    Ps what are the chances of us meeting Hanny, in a crowd of 40 000?! :D

I know DG! Would love to meet up! We could wear carnations? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Km 1 is very fast (too fast!). Very easy to go off like a bullet especially as you'll be up front with little or no congestion. Nothing of note then until Nutley Lane which has a tough enough long drag. Once you turn the corner until the turnaround I think this is actually the hardest part of the course. It's long and as far as I remember there's a dip in the road so you go down and up before you turn around, then same again as you head back towards town. Once you hit the 7Km mark or even a bit before I remember being able to get into a rhythm again and the last 3Km were pretty fast.

I second that. Last year I remember thinking that stretch would never end. It was the worst part of the course for me. This time around I'll be prepared for it!

I don't remember a lot of the course from last year. I was concentrating too hard on just getting through the 10k. It was my first time running that distance ever.

I am hoping to get a much better time this year! We'll see how it goes!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It's still too early for an accurate weather forecast for Monday. Leave till Friday at least before starting to panic on that front!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

adrian522 wrote: »
    It's still too early for an accurate weather forecast for Monday. Leave till Friday at least before starting to panic on that front!

I would agree. It was scheduled to rain all day for the Limerick run. While the forecast was correct, from the point of view that there was a torrential downpour, it didn't start until about 5 mins after I finished my half :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I know!!! It was so warm the last two years, though, maybe rain will be better? (Though I did do a 10k race in Washington DC in the heat last weekend that I thought would prepare me for a hot WMM. Oh well!)

Good luck, everyone!

Has anyone printed out their letter yet and if so does it have a bar code on it? When i click mine it has 2 x's where pictures should be but i cant see what they are and from recollection i think one of them might be a bar code.

Does that make sense to anyone? :D

annie jay wrote: »
    <snip>

Sorry Annie jay, pretty sure you're not allowed do that on the A/R forum. Best of luck anyway. Maybe just run it without a number?

adrian522 wrote: »

What's that you say Adrian, panic from the side of the pool as I sip Prosecco and nibble on olives and cured meats? Ok then :D

• Advertisement

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I know!!! It was so warm the last two years, though, maybe rain will be better? (Though I did do a 10k race in Washington DC in the heat last weekend that I thought would prepare me for a hot WMM. Oh well!)

Good luck, everyone!
    I know, and here's me off to Umbria for my warm weather taper :rolleyes: Best of luck Monday!
    Has anyone printed out their letter yet and if so does it have a bar code on it? When i click mine it has 2 x's where pictures should be but i cant see what they are and from recollection i think one of them might be a bar code.

Does that make sense to anyone? :D
    No, I've emailed mine to my mam to print off. If anything like that happens the poor lil technophobe is likely to have a mini-meltdown :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sorry Annie jay, pretty sure you're not allowed do that on the A/R forum. Best of luck anyway. Maybe just run it without a number?

or pick another 10k to run

Latest met eireann forecast for Monday:

Monday: A cool, fairly cloudy day, with further rain or showers at times. Quite windy also.

Good luck tomorrow! Hope you all enjoy the race and the day! May the weather be perfect for running for all of us! :D

Best of luck tomorrow everyone! Hope the rain stays away long enough for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Well done to everyone running in those conditions today - can't have been easy! I assume Maria McCambridge held on to her lead ? She looked in control with 2k to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Well done to everyone running in those conditions today - can't have been easy! I assume Maria McCambridge held on to her lead ? She looked in control with 2k to go.

+1

Was out for an easy effort 10k myself and pace varied by 2:30 minutes per mile depending on the wind. Tough tough day for anyone out trying to hit a goal target.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Results up anywhere?

Well done everyone!

Wet conditions but I still enjoyed the race. I went to the race with two goals in mind: 1) To run without stopping to walk and 2) to beat last year's time by 10 minutes. I definitely did the first, and pretty sure I did the second though I can't find any results online to confirm. I'm working on a race report which I'll post to my blog and training log here. :D

• Advertisement

Well done everyone!

Wet conditions but I still enjoyed the race. I went to the race with two goals in mind: 1) To run without stopping to walk and 2) to beat last year's time by 10 minutes. I definitely did the first, and pretty sure I did the second though I can't find any results online to confirm. I'm working on a race report which I'll post to my blog and training log here. :D

Delighted to hear that, well done!!! Pretty sure results won't be up til tomorrow after they've been published (Herald. I think) :mad:
    But again, congratulations, well-deserved boost for you!

Advertisement