Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI Women's Mini Marathon - 1st June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dubal

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Well done to everyone running in those conditions today - can't have been easy! I assume Maria McCambridge held on to her lead ? She looked in control with 2k to go.

Yes, Maria won comfortably in the end.

Dubal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Congrats to all who ran today, not exactly ideal racing conditions but at least the weather wasn't as bad as predicted.
    I had a great run as I'm just coming back from injury so I took it very easy and enjoyed the day. Great support out and about despite the conditions and as always the organisation was perfect. Well done DSD on another super mini-marathon!

Absolutely thrilled for Maria and her win, she is going from strength to strength and all her hard work and dedication most definitely deserved the win today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

The weather wasn't as bad as expected and it all went without a hitch.... For an event with 40k people taking part, it was pretty well run. And kudos to all the marshals who must have been totally frozen out there!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭mojesius

Well done to all. My first time doing the WMM and I loved it despite the 50 shades of grey skies :) Last 2k it started p*ssing down.

Hoping I scraped in under 55 - If so, it means beat my first and last 10k from March by around 2 minutes. It was a lovely course, fair play to all the supporters and stewards who braved the elements for the afternoon. Great atmosphere in town the whole day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Congrats to all. The weather wasn't the nicest!

Really disappointed in myself. I think I was only about 10 seconds off my target time for the end of the year. I definitely could have ran better along the route but just felt heavy. Know I should be delighted with a PB, especially with the conditions but can't help being gutted. So close to what I was aiming to get to by end of the year and it's only June! Oh well, the bar will be well and truly raised now for the next one.

Results will be in the Herald tomorrow morning and will be posted online on the website later in the day so just keep an eye out.

P.S Totally agree that the volunteers were outstanding today. Can't have been easy for them. It's easier to run than stand there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Pink11 wrote: »
    Congrats to all. The weather wasn't the nicest!

Really disappointed in myself. I think I was only about 10 seconds off my target time for the end of the year. I definitely could have ran better along the route but just felt heavy. Know I should be delighted with a PB, especially with the conditions but can't help being gutted. So close to what I was aiming to get to by end of the year and it's only June! Oh well, the bar will be well and truly raised now for the next one.

Results will be in the Herald tomorrow morning and will be posted online on the website later in the day so just keep an eye out.

P.S Totally agree that the volunteers were outstanding today. Can't have been easy for them. It's easier to run than stand there!

Did the mini-marathon yesterday having trained hard to qualify as a fast jogger (pink) was surprised to find about 1km in that lots of people were walking already. My first couple of km were really slow so I missed my target time. I don't understand why someone would register as a fast jogger and then start walking so early. Also a couple of women decided to stop suddenly and walk back towards the start line just after we started (I think they dropped something), but with no consideration to runners coming behind them!
    I think there should be some guidelines - eg if you want to start walking dont just stop suddenly but move over to the left so runners can get by.
    I know its supposed to be for fun, but if not in any way serious about running dont register as a jogger/runner.

Apart from that (and the awful weather) I really enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

I think there should be some guidelines - eg if you want to start walking dont just stop suddenly but move over to the left so runners can get by.
    I know its supposed to be for fun, but if not in any way serious about running dont register as a jogger/runner.

That comes down to basic manners more than anything tbh. A lot of people just don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

:D Well done to the organisers of the Mini-Marathon - it was well run yesterday. Plenty of marshalls, all very helpful. Am I the only one who thought the weather was ok, I was expecting a lot worse and I think we met it on the motorway going home.

I was in the blue section and thought the start was seemless enough, apart from dodging the disgarded bin bags and ponchos. First 3kms were difficult enough trying to dodge the walkers (why would you register to jog if you are just going to walk?!). By the time I got to the turn at Frascati Shopping Centre there was more space for running. I found the hill up from the UCD flyover very difficult and had to slow to a walk up it. Once we got around the turning point at Fosters avenue I knew we were on the home straight. No firemen out in Donnybrook :( The little kids out cheering people along was great, some of them had their hands out for a high five, I made sure to get a few of them! I swear they helped me run faster!! Up Leeson St was a difficult one, the incline just not helping the tired legs. When I turned the last corner and could see the finish line I went flat out but jeez I thought I'd never get to the line, I was running out of steam.

I found the km's were passing by quick enough this year where as before I was looking around for them to see was I nearly there yet. Great atmosphere again there this year, that's one of the things I love about the Mini-Marathon. Noticed very few men dressed up at the race this year. I have never minded a few men doing the mini marathon as any I have ever seen were doing it in fancy dress and for fund raising. In prior years they used to be great banter, they would whistle and cheer as they passed and get a good cheer and a laugh and generally keeping spirits up. This year it felt like they had kept their heads down incase they got kicked out. I had a long walk after to get to the baggage area and then to Grafton St to meet my family and onto O'Connell St for the Luas to Hueston to get the car. But in good form today, tired but no aches or pains. Did plenty of stretching after the race and again after I got home and had a hot shower. I was actually scared I strained my calf with your one in the cool down area (maybe I didn't stay there long enough but she only seemed to have two moves). I went elsewhere and did my own stretches and was fine then.

Happy with my result, did it in 1hr 7 mins, :D:D:D big improvement on last year when I got 1hr 24 mins. I owe it to the local couch to 5k group that I joined last July. Not sure if I'll be in attendance this evening though... :P

Agree with you there CassieManson. I was a jogger (blue) this year aiming to get fast jogger for next year. I encountered a lot of walkers in the first few kms. In fact even crossing the start line people were starting out walking. Found it tiring the first few kms as I was running all over the road trying to get around the groups of walkers like 3 and 4 abreast chatting.

I do understand that it is a fun day out and I have taken part in the min marathon with groups of friends as a day out but we registered as walkers. It is a really enjoyable day out and great that it's such an active day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Noticed very few men dressed up at the race this year. I have never minded a few men doing the mini marathon as any I have ever seen were doing it in fancy dress and for fund raising. In prior years they used to be great banter, they would whistle and cheer as they passed and get a good cheer and a laugh and generally keeping spirits up.

I noticed there were fewer men this year than last alright, which is a good thing. It's clear why the organisers try to discourage it, while it might be fun to have a few men in the middle/back of the pack dressed up there is always the risk that one fast man enters and 'wins' the race.
    Yesterday I was marshalling just before 9k there was one guy zooming past the some of the top 10 or 15 ladies, I reckon he was already in 9th or 10th place at this point. That's just not on and turning a blind eye to letting men enter runs the risk of allowing this to happen.

https://plus.google.com/photos/+PhotographyservicesIe0/albums/6155515686650122721/6155516089799464482?pid=6155516089799464482&oid=109774640645115873350

• Advertisement

Gosh that's not on Menoscemo - alright to take part to raise funds but don't run it like an actual race!! I just realised the reason why I didn't see that many men dressed up this year is cos this year was the first time I wasn't in the walkers section!! Yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yesterday I was marshalling just before 9k there was one guy zooming past the some of the top 10 or 15 ladies, I reckon he was already in 9th or 10th place at this point. That's just not on and turning a blind eye to letting men enter runs the risk of allowing this to happen.

Do you know if he was he allowed to cross the finish line?

Do you know if he was he allowed to cross the finish line?

I've been told he wasn't but you can see his number there in the pic ;) Somebody should recognise him, he should be ashamed of himself tbh. It certainly would have been preferable if he was pulled of the course before the finishing straight though that probably would have brought up a few safety issues.

There were a good few more men in the top 100-200 as well btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I noticed there were fewer men this year than last alright, which is a good thing. It's clear why the organisers try to discourage it, while it might be fun to have a few men in the middle/back of the pack dressed up there is always the risk that one fast man enters and 'wins' the race.

https://plus.google.com/photos/+PhotographyservicesIe0/albums/6155515686650122721/6155516089799464482?pid=6155516089799464482&oid=109774640645115873350

Probably someone that craves attention and won't get it in a men's race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

What a gimp. Happened in the west of ireland mini a few years back. That lad was 5th and the organisers celebrated with him and published him in the results.he got his photo in the local paper too. I gave him some friendly advice when I met him afterwards, he didn't take it too well.

Results are live on the website!!!

ultrapercy wrote: »
    What a gimp. Happened in the west of ireland mini a few years back. That lad was 5th and the organisers celebrated with him and published him in the results.he got his photo in the local paper too. I gave him some friendly advice when I met him afterwards, he didn't take it too well.

He's in the results in 11th place; listed as being called 'Ciara'
    What a joke...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

What a joke...

Maybe that his alter ego name.

ultrapercy wrote: »

but he probably raised 10 million for charity and donated a kidney en route to that time. You guys are terribly harsh to this hero!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

What a joke...

He could be like Caitlyn ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Right so I'm moving up a moral place ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

So much for "Yes for equality" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

but he probably raised 10 million for charity and donated a kidney en route to that time. You guys are terribly harsh to this hero!!!!

Ireland is the land of equality now , he should be accepted.

rom wrote: »
    So much for "Yes for equality" :)
    shels4ever wrote: »
    Ireland is the land of equality now , he should be accepted.

I don't think we voted for polygamy.... :confused: 37000: "we do".....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Can't link on the phone but maybe someone could throw up a link to the thread that was on the main forum about 2 months ago - done to death at that time - might save a lot of angst ;)

It takes very little sleuthing to work out he is the boyfriend/partner of the Girl whose name he was running under.
    Is it OK to post personal details up here so we can slate him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    I don't think we voted for polygamy.... :confused: 37000: "we do".....

whats wrong with polygamy?

shels4ever wrote: »
    whats wrong with polygamy?

It wasn't claused for in the referendum, otherwise we'd all be at it ;) Can't do it if it's not in the constitution :rolleyes:

It takes very little sleuthing to work out he is the boyfriend/partner of the Girl whose name he was running under.
    Is it OK to post personal details up here so we can slate him?

that could be seen as cyber bullying. Let's all just agree he's a bit of a gob****e

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Sad (but not surprising) that someone who stoop to such levels for a bit of attention.

Obviously got the number from someone they knew. Personally, I would like to see that person blacklisted from entering future events if I was the organizers to discourage entry swaps.

Advertisement