Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI Women's Mini Marathon - 1st June

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Not sure why some people are getting so precious about that fella doing well in the race. It's quite silly and I wouldn't consider running that race myself but what harm has he done?

Insulting him, snooping around on facebook and wanting to post his personal information is far worse.

[QUOTE=Firedance;95736320]He has taken a place from every woman that finished behind him, when you're a club runner (or fast runner) racing for a place its,hard enough without someone like him racing against you (when you're expecting only female competition) Every girl he passed would have felt disheartened & frustrated I'm sure. So he did plenty of 'harm' in that regard.[/QUOTE]
    He p*$$ed me right off, so that's plenty :D
    FD has it in a nutshell. I scraped into a nice tidy round number in the overall official placings. If he had squeezed me out I would have been evil. He has done that to (disclaimer "I am not a mathematician") at least 36089 people by bumping them back a place and bumped at least 3700 women out of their nice tidy round number placing so burn the fecker oops I mean disqualify and ban em both :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Insulting him, snooping around on facebook and wanting to post his personal information is far worse.

He is being insulted because he is a dick and what he did was wankerish.

"snooping" on Facebook and wanting to post his personal information is not far worse. All that information is publicly available and was obtained without any special skills or indeed effort. He put himself out there by racing against women in a women's only race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Shock man runs in women's race, !!! He didn't cheat or try to pretend he was a some,there isn't really a story there why not go after the lads who also ran it further down the field , I'm not sure what is sadder man running in a women's race or sad people on the internet trying to make a story out of nothing really. It's not letsrun here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I posted in the Trivial Things....thread about guys running in this race. It's not wacky any more and surely it's time they left the race to the ladies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

shels4ever wrote: »
    Shock man runs in women's race, !!! He didn't cheat or try to pretend he was a some,there isn't really a story there why not go after the lads who also ran it further down the field , I'm not sure what is sadder man running in a women's race or sad people on the internet trying to make a story out of nothing really. It's not letsrun here!!

You're missing the point, I think. No-one really has a problem with a few fellas putting skirts on and running for a laugh. This guy was racing, and regardless of his motivations, whether he was impelled by charity considerations or just cynically trying to improve his girlfriend's placing for next year, his actions in racing so close to the head of the field directly affected A) the placings of what are elite athletes, and B) their actual race, in that some could have been negatively affected simply by his presence in the race. We've all been passed by someone and immediately experienced a 'slump' as the spirit and fight drains away. He fully deserves a ban, and her too.

• Advertisement

davedanon wrote: »
    You're missing the point, I think. No-one really has a problem with a few fellas putting skirts on and running for a laugh. This guy was racing, and regardless of his motivations, whether he was impelled by charity considerations or just cynically trying to improve his girlfriend's placing for next year, his actions in racing so close to the head of the field directly affected A) the placings of what are elite athletes, and B) their actual race, in that some could have been negatively affected simply by his presence in the race. We've all been passed by someone and immediately experienced a 'slump' as the spirit and fight drains away. He fully deserves a ban, and her too.
    Yes should never have been allowed finish but the organisers saw fit to let him and make less fuss. No need to have a moral campaign on it , some sad guy ran a women's race, should be dq and stopped from finishing. shamming on the Internet is just stupid and reckless as you never know the story behind it and any issue he may have.
    Your point b is off men are banned from women's races as they actually improve women's performace ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

So the only harm he he did is that people finished one place higher in the race? Grabbing your pitch fork over this is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

So the only harm he he did is that people finished one place higher in the race? Grabbing your pitch fork over this is pathetic.

Are you deliberately ignoring the posts about putting the women around him off / influencing and effecting their race ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

So in your Opinion, finishing in 11th is OK?
    At What point would it not be OK? What if he finished in 9th? 5th? 3rd? What if he had been battling out with Maria for 1st position, would that be ok? Sure why no just let men run the Women's Olympic marathon!!

Regardless of what has been said about the Marshalls picking out the top 10, if he had been running in those positions he would have been negatively affecting the race of the leaders. As it is, he has already been affecting races of prize winning runners (AG winners who he has finished ahead of).

If you can't see what's wrong here you are blind.

BTW to counter your previous point; no-one has posted any personal info on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

This is like that episode of Father Ted where Dougal is struggling to comprehend the difference between right and wrong :D

• Advertisement

Yes should never have been allowed finish but the organisers saw fit to let him and make less fuss. No need to have a moral campaign on it , some sad guy ran a women's race, should be dq and stopped from finishing. shamming on the Internet is just stupid and reckless as you never know the story behind it and any issue he may have.
    Your point b is off men are banned from women's races as they actually improve women's performace ;)

I think you guys may have a point here. It seems that turning a blind eye to cheating might be the way to go. Obviously the more you let people away with cheating, the less people will cheat.

In case you missed the spirit of this post, I'm being sarcastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Out of curiosity I checked the race number again on the results page, the place is still there, 11th, but there's no name or time against it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Out of curiosity I checked the race number again on the results page, the place is still there, 11th, but there's no name or time against it anymore.

It was there earlier this morning but not there now you are right....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Cool, I am delighted they are looking into it.
    I know a few people that were looking for a high placing (beat last years placing etc) so once they are bumped up a place they will be delighted. Hopefully everyone is moved up soon.

I know this sounds paradoxical, given the rampant juicing at the top level, but in many ways amateur athletics is zero tolerance for any hint of cheating or unfair advantage. Many runners need little prompting to tell you about the time so and so (and they will know the person's name) cut a corner in a road race, or went the wrong side of the markers on a muddy xc course. No-one gets away with anything at this game, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Good! So 39 position for DG and 19th for a club mate of mine, plus the right placing for every runner from 11th onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Pink11 wrote: »
    Anyone know where we can view photos online? Saw loads of photographers!

Yes I "posed" for a photo in the finish area - would love to know where to find it!

I have looked on the website and fb but cannot see these photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Just wondering : are the people who have position 0 and an asterix (*) beside their time - are they people who didn't hit the timing mat along the route?

PaulieC wrote: »
    I think you guys may have a point here. It seems that turning a blind eye to cheating might be the way to go. Obviously the more you let people away with cheating, the less people will cheat.

In case you missed the spirit of this post, I'm being sarcastic.
    there was no cheating here just an idiot that though he would look good beating some women.
    I have never said that it was ok with what he did and should be DQ'd and prevented from finishing. My issue is with internet manhunts that go out of control (In this case this has not happened , but could have).
    I feel this will come up again and again with a women only race now, there are to many attention seeking idiots around, they should all be pulled off the course before the finish and not allowed to run.

there was no cheating

You contradict yourself. You don't know that there was no cheating. what if he was doing it to benefit his girlfriend come next year's race?

• Advertisement

You contradict yourself. You don't know that there was no cheating. what if he was doing it to benefit his girlfriend come next year's race?
    Do you really think that , and he though that it wouldn't be noticed when crossing the finish line? there is more cheating by posters here to get GFA for marathons so moral high ground take by some is a joke.

Who knows what people think they can get away with?

Who knows what people think they can get away with?
    He was an idiot running a race, didn't try to hide the fact that he was a man running. I doubt the master plan was to get her an entry in a faster section next year. Would have been far easier ways to do that( ask around here and I'm sure people will tell you how its done properly .)

there was no cheating here just an idiot that though he would look good beating some women.
    they should all be pulled off

must. resist. sexist. jokes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Streak101

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Just wondering : are the people who have position 0 and an asterix (*) beside their time - are they people who didn't hit the timing mat along the route?

or maybe didn't cross the start line, there's normally quite a few that take off early. I expect Monday quite a few didn't want to hang around in the cold and wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Sorry to be a pain and repeat myself but anyone know where pictures are online?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not sure why some people are getting so precious about that fella doing well in the race. It's quite silly and I wouldn't consider running that race myself but what harm has he done?

Probably didn't do much harm. But he's still a d1ckhead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Pink11 wrote: »
    Sorry to be a pain and repeat myself but anyone know where pictures are online?

here are some:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/in-pictures-women-s-mini-marathon-2015-1.2233459

Advertisement