Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving child in car

Options
  • 21-05-2015 10:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

Was sitting outside the creche today waiting for herself. Whilst waiting another car pulled up. It was a woman and she proceeded to take her baby which looked about 4 months old out of the car in the car seat and carried her in to the creche. 90 seconds later she arrives out.......struggling. in one arm she has the already mentioned baby in car seat,in the other,she was carrying a roughly 1 year old boy. Then when she got to the car, more struggling trying to put in the car seat and then strapping the 1 year old in to his car seat, an awful lot of hassle. Plus you can see the car from inside the creche

If thst was me....i would probably leave younger baby in car with a window slightly open. Lock doors, fly in get older child and out again in 90 seconds.

Im probably going to be accused of terrible parenting or you dont deserve children etc etc

But was this woman's method overkill seeing as she was out in 90 seconds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Was sitting outside the creche today waiting for herself. Whilst waiting another car pulled up. It was a woman and she proceeded to take her baby which looked about 4 months old out of the car in the car seat and carried her in to the creche. 90 seconds later she arrives out.......struggling. in one arm she has the already mentioned baby in car seat,in the other,she was carrying a roughly 1 year old boy. Then when she got to the car, more struggling trying to put in the car seat and then strapping the 1 year old in to his car seat, an awful lot of hassle. Plus you can see the car from inside the creche

If thst was me....i would probably leave younger baby in car with a window slightly open. Lock doors, fly in get older child and out again in 90 seconds.

Im probably going to be accused of terrible parenting or you dont deserve children etc etc

But was this woman's method overkill seeing as she was out in 90 seconds.

She did the right thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

People live terrified lives in today's world, not always with justification, but the 'what if' is not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Problem is if you get delayed or anything... She was right. I don't leave my two in the car alone ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Nope, wouldn't leave them. It might be a quick pickup but who knows, someone might need to discuss something or you're otherwise delayed and 90 seconds turns into several minutes. If I need petrol I go to a place where you pay at the pump because this means I don't have to lug them in and out of the car. A lot can happen in 90 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭threescompany

I think that was OTT...... What could go wrong in 90 seconds? We put ourselves under too much stress just to conform to ridiculous standards. I have regularly left my kids locked in car ( obv just for a min or two ) while I legged it for something. I would never leave them distressed / crying in car. Also to add. I'm a very easy going mother & think my laid back attitude has made motherhood to 4 kids a much easier journey. Im all for safety but that's just taking it too far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Never leave a child alone in a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Never leave a child alone in a car.

Yep, I agree and think it's really that simple.

Can completely see where the OP is coming from, but is it a chance to ever take, no matter how little time for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...... What could go wrong in 90 seconds?...

Car gets stolen.

Yep, I agree and think it's really that simple.

Can completely see where the OP is coming from, but is it a chance to ever take, no matter how little time for?[/QUOTE

To haul a baby out of a car for 2 mins to collect another child, crazy . If the car is parked safely and the child is not crying or distressed, no reason not to.

beauf wrote: »
    Car gets stolen.

Or engine goes up and if the doors are locked and the kids are strapped in seats that need unbuckling. Might sound paranoid but we also choose car seats that unbuckle with one click. And locking kids in a car is not something to recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Cars go on fire for no reason sometimes

I think that was OTT...... What could go wrong in 90 seconds? We put ourselves under too much stress just to conform to ridiculous standards. I have regularly left my kids locked in car ( obv just for a min or two ) while I legged it for something. I would never leave them distressed / crying in car. Also to add. I'm a very easy going mother & think my laid back attitude has made motherhood to 4 kids a much easier journey. Im all for safety but that's just taking it too far.

This isn't a ridiculous standard. Locking kids in a car is not safe and we all.know how easily a one minute errand extends to a longer absence, queue at the till, card doesn't work etc. I consider myself laid back and easy going about many things to do with my children, but car safety isn't one of the places I take chances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

beauf wrote: »
    Car gets stolen.

But " what if " carrying the 2 babies and her struggling caused her to let the older child slip out of her arm and fall and bust his head.

But on the other hand,an asteroid could also land on the car too.

But " what if " carrying the 2 babies and her struggling caused her to let the older child slip out of her arm and fall and bust his head

Younger child in sling/buggy, in to collect older child, older child into car seat, younger child into car seat, buggy or sling put away. I did this many times with two born within 15 months of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/court-told-of-hysteria-26180470.html

This story always stayed in my head. Not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

lazygal wrote: »
    Or engine goes up and if the doors are locked and the kids are strapped in seats that need unbuckling. Might sound paranoid but we also choose car seats that unbuckle with one click. And locking kids in a car is not something to recommend.

As in the engine goes on fire :confused: The battery shorting off metal is the only way a car will go on fire other than some gurrier setting it on fire ;)

vicwatson wrote: »

I have to say...I cannot believe some of these paranoid comments.
    I dont 'belong' here as my kids are now mid teens.

But guess what, they are 6 foot tall rugby playing healthy clever kids...and shock horror, would have been left in the car for 5 mins or so while i ran to pay for petrol, dropped in dry cleaning etc.

I hadnt realised just how paranoid parenting has become....glad things were more relaxed 'in my day'

Yeh I can see your points that the car could go up in flames, get stolen etc. it is possible. However the chances are extremely minute & I suppose they chances I am willing to take for a few seconds.
    Likewise you could say that carrying a newborn/ car seat in 1 hand & 1 year old with the other ( and possibly a bag) in a car park holds it's own risks. Kids can scarper like lightning and it's hard work carrying those newborn seats /baby while at the same time holding hands of feisty toddlers at 5.30pm& trying to load both in car. Accidents are more likely to happen with more kids. Genuinely the toddler could run off or get knocked down. Again unlikely, but it could happen- just an alternative view point.

I have to say...I cannot believe some of these paranoid comments.
    I dont 'belong' here as my kids are now mid teens.

But guess what, they are 6 foot tall rugby playing healthy clever kids...and shock horror, would have been left in the car for 5 mins or so while i ran to pay for petrol, dropped in dry cleaning etc.

I hadnt realised just how paranoid parenting has become....glad things were more relaxed 'in my day'
    I'm glad the advice has changed. I'm not paranoid, I assess the risks and act accordingly. If some parents had been more vigilant about other things to do with child protection some children might not have gone through some terrible things. Vigilance as a parent doesn't mean you're paranoid.

I'm glad the advice has changed. I'm not paranoid, I assess the risks and act accordingly. If some parents had been more vigilant about other things to do with child protection some children might not have gone through some terrible things. Vigilance as a parent doesn't mean you're paranoid.

Normal vigilance is fine.....over the top vigilance is bad for the child as well as it makes him nervous of the world he lives in
    But to compare leaving a child in a safely parked car for a couple of minutes to child protection issues is frankly ridiculous

• Advertisement

Normal vigilance is fine.....over the top vigilance is bad for the child as well as it makes him nervous of the world he lives in
    But to compare leaving a child in a safely parked car for a couple of minutes to child protection issues is frankly ridiculous

Point being, advice has changed. No one would recommend leaving children in a locked vehicle. No matter how quick you think the errand will be. There's plenty of things my parents did that I wouldn't do, such as start solids at three months, because times change and advice changes too. I'll take the minor inconvenience of taking my children out of the car for necessary trips rather than lock them in, strapped into seats, and take a chance.

Point being, advice has changed. No one would recommend leaving children in a locked vehicle. No matter how quick you think the errand will be. There's plenty of things my parents did that I wouldn't do, such as start solids at three months, because times change and advice changes too. I'll take the minor inconvenience of taking my children out of the car for necessary trips rather than lock them in, strapped into seats, and take a chance.

Times change????? My kids are 13 and 14, not 50!!!
    Advice hasnt changed....people HAVE become more paranoid. And I feel sorry for the kids

But yes, you do as you see fit.....

The point is When you take your kids out of car they are equally being exposed to danger. Buggy could get run over, you could trip & lose grip of buggy etc.
    If cars were that dangerous we wouldn't get in them if there was a chance they'd blow up..... Come on!!!!!! I respect your opinion but genuinely believe it's as safe ( if not safer) to leave baby in car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Like the engine going on fire or the car blowing up like in the movies. Don't believe everything you see in the movies ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

True. But then its also true that to say theres no risk is not true. Its just not very likely. I've seen about 4 or 5 vehicles go on fire in my lifetime. So the odds IMO are pretty remote. Likewise cars get stolen with kids in them.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-open-fire-after-car-stolen-with-children-inside-26615829.html

But the odds are pretty remote. Whereas dropping kids, letting buggies roll is probably much more common. But there nothing wrong with being careful.
    Dunno why why both sides have to exaggerate that kids are over protected, or under-protected. Trying to out tabloid the other. Some people may just have separation anxiety for any number of reasons.

My mind was more wondering who's kids are they, if not her own, child minder, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Like the engine going on fire or the car blowing up like in the movies. Don't believe everything you see in the movies ;)

Cigarette butt igniting the petrol fluid fire is another one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

vicwatson wrote: »

Then you might have a better chance to save child from outside the car, then if trapping in flaming car with the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If people are going to get irrational then we might as well also mention the possibility of baby monitor power supplies exploding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Stoned Since 2011

If people are going to get irrational then we might as well also mention the possibility of baby monitor power supplies exploding.

have you stats on that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Baby powder dust explosions

Advertisement