Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving child in car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭whats_my_name

Sometimes I wonder how any of us are here at all!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Stoned Since 2011

Sometimes I wonder how any of us are here at all!

Quiet alot according to new born stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭whats_my_name

Quiet alot according to new born stats.

Point being that my parents certainly didn't take 4 of us out of the car every time they popped into the shop to pick up a loaf of bread, (it would of cost them a fortune!) & the 4 of us are still here, as are many others.

I don't agree with people being so against leaving a child in a car on their own to quickly do something, though I'm talking 2/3 minutes tops. But in saying that you would also have to take into consideration the age of the child, a new born asleep in a car seat I would leave there while I popped into the shop, a curious toddler who could open the car seat & car door I wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

I think she was right. She was only away for 90 seconds, but she didn't know in advance that it was only going to be 90 seconds. In the creche my son attends (and I imagine in most creches), you don't just grab the child and go, there's a little handover where a staff member goes through everything they've eaten that day, any issues, any supplies needed, their activities, even how many dirty nappies they had! So if there are several other parents collecting at around the same time, you could be left waiting for your turn. And then you've to put on their coat, maybe their shoes, pack their bag, etc. Between everything, you could be up to ten minutes in there. I'd be very uncomfortable with leaving a small baby alone and out of sight for that long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

At our creche the door is about 4ft from the car. And they don't do a handover (note is in bag). So I step out of the car, ring the bell. Put children in, and off we go. I would be a couple of steps away from the car. But... When I was on mat leave we didn't use the car much. Walked mostly. So thinking back on it, I've never personally left a child in a car. But i don't think it would be particularly high risk if you are close enough and can see them.

Now, my little girl had reflux, so i had a very close eye on her at the start because she was liable to throw up at any moment and start choking. So i can understand taking the baby with you too. 90 seconds is a long time in that scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

We wait at the door of Ts playschool while they file out. If I manage to get a park beside the driveway where I can directly see inside the car I will leave my 1 yo to collect him at the door. In the mornings when we have to go inside to drop them off (down a corridor out the back of the playschool). In only takes 60seconds but My 1yo comes with me. I remember a case years ago in New Zealand where a 1-2 yo died after being left in the car and choking on a golfball. We don't have any hazards in our car. But imo... It's not worth the risk. Yes it makes things difficult. But I don't think I'm being over vigilant... If they are insight it's ok for a minute. If you can't see them... Even for a minute... They should be with you. Things can go wrong in seconds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

vicwatson wrote:
    Cars go on fire for no reason sometimes

There is always a reason

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

So me leaving my daughter sleeping in the car outside my house, checking her regularly means I am a terrible parent???

Bollix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Left my my then 3 1/2 yo in the car once,when I got delayed I went to check on him. He tried getting out of his seat belt and was caught in it and distressed as it was at his neck.
    I never did it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Maybe in Ireland it doesn't happen, but here in France every single year there are babies/toddlers who die after being left in the car in hot weather. It doesn't take very long either.

I'd never ever leave my son in the car alone. I'm not being hysterical, it's a real risk here.

http://www.childsafetyeurope.org/publications/info/factsheets/children-in-cars.pdf : 26 deaths of children in cars between 2006 and 2009 in France and Belgium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The hot car deaths are horrible.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/08/06/how-do-you-leave-your-child-to-die-in-a-hot-car-we-examined-some-of-the-21-suspected-cases-this-year-to-find-out/

In one case I read about the toddler had pulled all.of their hair out before they died.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

lazygal wrote: »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/08/06/how-do-you-leave-your-child-to-die-in-a-hot-car-we-examined-some-of-the-21-suspected-cases-this-year-to-find-out/

In one case I read about the toddler had pulled all.of their hair out before they died.

That... is the single most disturbing thing I have EVER read on boards.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Jesus. That's horrific.:(

I wouldn't be too concerned about a car going on fire or theft - it is extremely rare after all. But would still take him out of the car if I was going anywhere - the sole exception is if I'm literally feet away from the car and can see it at all times.

The reasons I take him are:
    - He usually wakes up when the car stops so would be hysterical and terrified at being left alone. I did it once briefly and it took him ages to calm down.
    -I might be longer than I intended because of queues or talking to someone or whatever.
    -General safety, he could choke on something while I'm gone, or wiggle out of straps and get his neck caught etc.
    -if I collapsed somewhere (admittedly this is a rare scenario) I could be rushed to A&E or whatever and it could be hours before people realise I had a small child with me.

lazygal wrote: »

I want to read this article... But I wont... As I have a feeling I will be upset for the rest of day if I do....

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I want to read this article... But I wont... As I have a feeling I will be upset for the rest of day if I do....

same here ..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Poor Gerry Ryan the late DJ banged on and on about not leaving kids in cars as he had once come on the scene of a car fire at a petrol station one day where a small child was only saved by a quick thinking passing stranger.
    Personally I never ever left kids in a car.
    If your properly organised it should be fairly easy to avoid having to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

nc19 wrote: »
    So me leaving my daughter sleeping in the car outside my house, checking her regularly means I am a terrible parent???

Bollix

No it doesn't, but it doesn't mean that people who wouldn't leave their child alone in the car at all are over protective over the top parents either.

Each to their own.

Personally, if I arrive home and my 1 year old is asleep, I'll stay in the car with him until he wakes... Life is too short, I read a book or browse the internet on my phone while listening to the radio. Gives me time out too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Long before the days of mandatory baby seats, my mother used to place me in my carrycot on the back seat of the car. One day, she popped into the local shop for 2 minutes to pick up bread and milk, leaving me and my 3 older brothers in the car. Incidentally, the shop was at the top of a steep hill and as my mother was in the shop, my 7 year old brother decided to play with the handbrake and let it down :eek: As the car rolled off down the hill towards the busy junction at the end of the road, my 3 brothers hopped out leaving me inside unsecured in my little basket. Thankfully the shopkeeper spotted the car moving and ran out, hopped in the open door and braked. God only knows what would have happened otherwise. So yeah, that's what unsupervised kids can do in the space of a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 aine100

I saw a car go on fire and explode (ok a small explosion not a Die Hard explosion.. but still) from a vantage point in the Market Yard once, and all it took was 5 minutes.
    I wouldn't leave mine in the car, but I suspect my hubby used to when doing the creche collection. I also think a creche collection is better than a supermarket visit. I know of someone who left 2 small kids in the car and went into Dunnes (wine street) for something very quickly and when she came out there was a crowd surrounding the car and a security guard who gave out to her. (a few years ago now)
    Even if you are just gone for 2 minutes you will feel the wrath of every other parent who noticed and is outside who didn't know how long you were gone for. I just don't think its worth it.

Mind you sometimes carrying a baby and trying to keep toddlers with you while moving from a car into a shop with cars driving by is probably just as dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

ach now.
    There is a difference between parking the car in a City centre Location where your handbag wouldnt be safe in the car, to leaving a sleeping child outside a rural Bungalow.

I've excepionally rarely left the Kids in the car in public areas, but its a judgement call on the circumstances and the Kids.
    When you know they are going to be Sound asleep for a half hour, and will go bloody ballistic if woken, and you know you are going into a shop that never has queues, and you know theres almost Zero Chance of the car being robbed or burned or stoned (or whatever other random criminal activity may happen), then you'll just do it.

Or my creche, which is to the rear of a Company car park, to which you need a code to access, and security guards about the place, and parents coming and going at the same time as yourself, again nothing will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

A locked, parked car for a few minutes is irresponsible parenting, but a creche for 50 hours a week is fine.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

PollyWants wrote: »
    A locked, parked car for a few minutes is irresponsible parenting, but a creche for 50 hours a week is fine.

At least my creche has a trained nurse as manager there, and each and every staff member is fetac certified and first aid trained. And the child loves it there - he runs in every morning delighted to get cracking on playing with his friends.

PollyWants wrote: »

Wtf has crèche got to do with this thread????!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

http://www.childsafetyeurope.org/publications/info/factsheets/children-in-cars.pdf : 26 deaths of children in cars between 2006 and 2009 in France and Belgium.

Not that it is going to change anybodies mind but it is actually 7 deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭thereitisgone

Jeez ye would hate Scandinavian countries so. Way to much freedom

Jeez ye would hate Scandinavian countries so. Way to much freedom
    Ah cause parents are allowed to leave children in cars by themselves in Scandanavia, are they?

Ah cause parents are allowed to leave children in cars by themselves in Scandanavia, are they?

No just the over protection vibe in this thread, kids nearly all walking to and from school here from the age of seven same as twenty years ago, what big change has happened in Ireland that has not happened here in Finland that makes it dangerous to walk to school in ireland

No just the over protection vibe in this thread, kids nearly all walking to and from school here from the age of seven same as twenty years ago, what big change has happened in Ireland that has not happened here in Finland that makes it dangerous to walk to school in ireland
    But no-one's talking about walking to school? We're talking about leaving babies and toddlers in the car.

But no-one's talking about walking to school? We're talking about leaving babies and toddlers in the car.

I think if you read through this thread again much more than that are discussed

• Advertisement

Firstly to note... Finland and a couple other Scandinavian countries have been ranked in the top 10 safest countries in the world. Ireland has not!!! Therefore, I would possibly feel safer in these countries than in Ireland in regards to crime activities etc etc...

Secondly... This has absolutely nothing got to do with leaving children in cars and the dangers of it....

Advertisement