Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving child in car

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Dunford wrote: »
    our child care here in spain works out at about 3€ an hour. also, its pay as you go.
    If my experience of wages in Portugal relate to Spain as well, they are a lot lower than here.
    That said costs in Ireland are high.
    We had our son in a Montessori and paid for his first year. 15 hours a week cost 65euro which was great value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If my experience of wages in Portugal relate to Spain as well, they are a lot lower than here.
    That said costs in Ireland are high.
    We had our son in a Montessori and paid for his first year. 15 hours a week cost 65euro which was great value.

I pay 30€ for 12 hours in the local play school. Brilliant value.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,427 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Its impossible to not leave children in the car sometimes

I've got 3 kids all of them under 6

Its time for school. Oldest kid is getting dressed, youngest child is ready to go, so I put her into the car and strap her in. I walk the 20 steps back to the house to get her 4 year old sister and bring her to the car with her older brother. The 2 year old is safer strapped in the car by herself, than she would be if I brought her back into the house and then tried to strap all the 3 kids into their seats at the same time.

In the real world, children are fully never supervised 100% of the time
    Its impossible

How is anyone supposed to cook dinner with toddlers in the house if you can't give them some toys to play with while you cook the food.

Its much more dangerous to leave a child 'unattended' in a house than it is to leave a child strapped into a car seat in a locked car parked in a safe parking space for 90 seconds while you pay for petrol or collect an older child from a creche

Its also more dangerous sometimes to take the child out of the car where she/he could run off, or distract you while his/her sibling runs off and gets hit by a car.

Parenting is all about exchanging risks, everything we do involves a risk of one side or another. All we can do is use our own best judgement and decide what risks to take

Even if we could eliminate all danger from our childrens lives, this in itself would cause damage to the child, because encountering danger and dealing with bangs and falls and scrapes and uncertainty are all essential parts of learning how to live in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I put my child in the car yesterday morning to go to daycare / work. Had him strapped in and all. Realized I forgot my phone. It was a hassle but I unstrapped him again, took him out and brought him in with me to get it.
    I would not like to leave him in the car alone - for one thing, he would roar after me, and for another, I would just be nervous in general about leaving him there alone. So call me irrational if you want, but I will always avoid situations where my child is left alone, as much as I can. My colleague laughed at me when I told her - said she would often leave her child in the car while she dropped her older child in to playschool. Each to their own.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I just spotted on facebook, this interesting experiment about car temperatures. The experiment was done by Calgary Humane Society and Calgary Fire Department:

The temperature outside and inside the cars at the start was 24 degrees centigrade.

After 10 minutes, the car with the windows fully wound down registered at 36.3 degrees, the one with the windows open a crack registered 37.2 degrees, and the one with the windows fully up registered 38.3 degrees.

In just 10 minutes. Wow.
    Like, on a nice summers day, you could easily be 10 or 15 mins queuing up for icecreams and pay for fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'm sitting in the car with my 1 year old asleep atm. I'm boiled so I've had to roll down all the windows... and it's not a warm day outside! you couldn't leave a child on their own in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I've never had to wait 10 mins to pay for petrol.
    I've often been 10 mins stopped in traffic on a warm day, nothing I can about that other than not drive on a hot day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Ah yea but when your driving or stopped in traffic the car is running and you can have the aircon on?

That said, if I had to pay for petrol I would run in so long as I could see the children in the car from where I was paying. Which I can in my local shop and petrol station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

A stranger tried to get in to my car. I had the baby in the back. Freaked me out. And I read a few cases of it happening around the city in the few weeks after that. One where a guy had robbed a car at a petrol station with two kids in the back, gone on a joyride. The keys had been left in to keep the radio and aircon on while they paid. Out of his head on something.

I never left a child in a car after that. Fuel... Got it on the way home from work or at night when they were asleep. I don't bring children to supermarkets anyway. I can't think of any other situation where I would do it. Our carseat popped out if she was asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

When i had 1 child i always took her out. never thought anything of it.
    now that i have 2 i generally get OH to get petrol in the evening. failing that i pop to my local petrol station. fill up, run in and pay. on one occasion it was slightly busier and i just asked could i pay the €20 for pump 3. people in the queue were fine as its a local place where we all know each other. the car is in sight when i run in too.

The other day we were all under the weather. i needed to pop out to get something for dinner. the butchers is also on the forecourt where the petrol station is. i normally walk to it. but it was raining and kids were in fowl form . i parked right outside i could see the kids from the counter no problem. .

ive also left them in the car in a carpark when ive walked over to get a ticket. i got a funny look one day when i seen a lady looking in the window and seen them in it. i was a few metres away but in my opinion it was safer to go get the ticket than take out baba put him in sling take out toddler and then have to walk over and back with a ticket and then head off in to the shops. both my kids are healthy and havent had reflux so i can see the other side of this.

My 3yr old will be starting pre school in september and i hadnt even thought about it. i will probably walk some mornings but if not the entrance is around the back out of sight so i will drag out the then 17mnth old too id say. espercially as i dont know if pick ups will take 10 seconds or 10 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 amie lee

I think every situation is different its not easy with small ones sometimes U have to leave them for few sectons it just makes life easier its not like U going off doing a trolley of shopping for an hour leaving babies in car.just cause people view your kids in public do they want to come to your home and view everthing U do there weather U watching them ever second of the day in the house its just not possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭SF12

Akrasia wrote: »
    Its impossible to not leave children in the car sometimes

In the real world, children are fully never supervised 100% of the time
    Its impossible

Parenting is all about exchanging risks, everything we do involves a risk of one side or another. All we can do is use our own best judgement and decide what risks to take

Even if we could eliminate all danger from our childrens lives, this in itself would cause damage to the child, because encountering danger and dealing with bangs and falls and scrapes and uncertainty are all essential parts of learning how to live in the real world.

Utter common sense
    The problem is that the parenting experts out there that are constantly quoted on every website, newspaper and TV programme would have you believe otherwise. When people are fed a diet of hysteria about parenting, they naturally begin to become completely paranoid about everything themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

SF12 wrote: »
    Utter common sense
    The problem is that the parenting experts out there that are constantly quoted on every website, newspaper and TV programme would have you believe otherwise. When people are fed a diet of hysteria about parenting, they naturally begin to become completely paranoid about everything themselves.

100% agreed.

Now each to their own but I do wonder how parents (my own family included) get to enjoy their time with their kids when they are constantly on guard for 'threats'.

Next they'll be saying you cant smack a bold child either ...... gets coat and does a runner :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

mitresize5 wrote: »
    Now each to their own but I do wonder how parents (my own family included) get to enjoy their time with their kids when they are constantly on guard for 'threats'.

I don't know what kind of enjoyable time you have, but trips to the petrol station and the supermarket, where you leave the kids sweating strapped into a seat are WAY down my list of fun things to do with my children! I avoid both of those like the plague.

We'll be on our bikes in the park instead. :D *waves*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

mitresize5 wrote: »
    100% agreed.

Next they'll be saying you cant smack a bold child either ...... gets coat and does a runner :-)

There's things my parents never did with us that their parents didn't see anything wrong with, and there's things we don't do that they saw nothing wrong with because the advice has changed, like starting solids later. Nothing paranoid about it whatsoever and avoiding leaving your children alone in a car isn't a major inconvenience.

And I hope you're joking about smacking. It's not only the least effective form of discipline, it will soon I hope be illegal. Physical chastisment of children is not acceptable under any circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Yes, the car could blow up, but there’s a far higher chance of a toddler escaping your grasp and running out on a busy road and getting crushed to death. There’s also a higher chance of you having an accident with the kids in the car. If you think it’s unsafe to leave children unattended in the car then you shouldn’t have them in the car in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

You wouldn't leave a million quid in notes sitting on your back seat. Surely a child is worth more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Hoboo wrote: »
    You wouldn't leave a million quid in notes sitting on your back seat. Surely a child is worth more.

Yes but how many times has a baby been abducted from a car vs a wallet stolen from the seat. The majority of criminals aren’t out to steal a baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The same as a lot of things, the appropriateness if leaving a child alone in a car depends on a lot of variables in my opinion.
    Some of the horror stories being posted as examples of why not to leave a child alone in a car are completely missing the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

sillysocks wrote: »
    Yes but how many times has a baby been abducted from a car vs a wallet stolen from the seat. The majority of criminals aren’t out to steal a baby!

Correct, but its the minority Id be concerned about. Fires btw dont distinguish between money and babies. I agree its the smallest of chance, one in a million, but Id prefer not to be that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hoboo wrote: »
    Correct, but its the minority Id be concerned about. Fires btw dont distinguish between money and babies. I agree its the smallest of chance, one in a million, but Id prefer not to be that one.

How do you feel about leaving kids/babies alone in a room in the house? The bedroom for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

like most things in life its a question of a bit of common sense. hard and fast rules applied to bringing up kids (or life in general) rarely lead to a happy life.

situations are different so take each case on its merits. you dont apply the same criteria to leaving your kids sitting in the car while you go into a quite county shop from where you can see them out the window, to leaving them sitting in your car on capel st while you head over to brown thomas for a spot of lunch.

as a parent with a car its safe to assume you are least 18 years old so you should have the mental capacity to assess a situation decide the level of risk versus what you consider an acceptable level of risk and act accordingly.

now its easy for me to say this as i never have to worry about my kids being taken, as it has often been said to me, ''if anyone every took any of your kids they would be back with them in about 15 minutes begging to give the little horrors back.''

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

This thread is 3 years old

Advertisement