Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Attack

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Vladpills

BeyondBelief, ill contact the vets in UCD the second he shows me the bill, and ask what was done, and why.
    End of the day, its my money im paying, and I want to know where it went.

Pat, you maybe misunderstood the situation - My dog attacked his. A SIMILAR incident occurred to him 2 years ago.

The beer revolu, again, thats the concern....our vet said one thing, and the owner said another...constantly contradicting the situation. It makes it feel as if he's specifically trying to victimize himself, and ignore the opinion of a qualified professional.
    Ill give the UCD vets a call, see what they though, and if they say he anyhow insisted, or it was not necessary, or anything of that matter,

I will talk to the owner, and explain, that bringing the dog to UCD was on his own initiative. If they say that the dogs life was indeed in danger, and he was right to raise alarm, itll be a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

first things first dogs on leads!!

second house insurance might cover you for this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Sorry OP just trying to get the correct picture of this-

I am unclear as to whether he is saying his dog is sick again now(2 years later) as a result of the bite 2 years ago or if the bills are from 2 years ago?

Is the dog owner coming to you 2 years later looking for his bills from UCD to be paid or has he been hassling you since?

What have you paid him for already? I suppose you could look for detailed bills and offer to pay the vet directly if you will be paying more bills?

Has he ever given you anything in writing to confirm you had paid him and he accepted payment?

Has he ever provided you with any detailed bills?

I doubt his pet insurance company would speak to you about what he has or has not claimed for.

It does seem a bit odd but I don't suppose you have any way of proving he is trying to scam. I obviously don't know if the courts would entertain any claim from him now but I don't think you would be in a good position as you had a 16 year old alone in charge or a larger dog without a lead.

Edit: I see some of my questions had been addressed in a previous post while I was tying up this reply.

BeyondBelief,

Thats the thing, he paid for the bill himself, so the clinic is not looking for any more money, he wants me to compensate whatever he paid.

He didnt get a referral from any other vets as far as I know, and instead brought his dog in at around 8 or 9pm, which as he stated was within "emergency hours".

He said that he paid 500 euro deposit. The local vets said they'll confirm what was said in their clinic, regarding the fact that he said, that he has insurance.

Ganmo, thats very true! My cousin said he didnt have enough time to react to put the dog on a lead. Like I said earlier, lead and muzzle on the dog at all times now. The area where we usually walk her, doesnt require a lead. Plenty of dogs without leads running there, and from the information I managed to find, dogs on that route are not required to be on a lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

Vladpills wrote: »
    BeyondBelief, ill contact the vets in UCD the second he shows me the bill, and ask what was done, and why.
    End of the day, its my money im paying, and I want to know where it went.

Pat, you maybe misunderstood the situation - My dog attacked his. A SIMILAR incident occurred to him 2 years ago.

The beer revolu, again, thats the concern....our vet said one thing, and the owner said another...constantly contradicting the situation. It makes it feel as if he's specifically trying to victimize himself, and ignore the opinion of a qualified professional.
    Ill give the UCD vets a call, see what they though, and if they say he anyhow insisted, or it was not necessary, or anything of that matter,

I will talk to the owner, and explain, that bringing the dog to UCD was on his own initiative. If they say that the dogs life was indeed in danger, and he was right to raise alarm, itll be a different story.

I would check as soon as you can with ucd as I know from others self referrals are only during the day, but really you can't do anything until you have spoken with them. also the deposit was 700 when my friends paid it, but you will only know when you have spoken with them for sure.
    And if they say that the dog is now well and needs no more vet help make sure you get it in writing and follow up with a solicitor letter saying this is the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

To play devils advocate the dogs condition may have worsened agter the first vet examined it and needed to be brought to ucd.

A puncture wound in a dangerous area or deep internal bruising in these areas (chest or abdomen) could look mild initialy while the dog is in shock post an attack but worsen over time when shock wears off and the pain and extent of the injuries kick in....

Infection would also require more follow up and dog bits frequently get infected.

Ask to see the vets receipt.

In the end of the day though...your off lead dog did attack his while it was on a lead and under control.so you are 100 percent at fault for injuries.

Even if he has insurance you are laible for the bills.if he claims the insurance premiums will rise next year so i can see why hes asking you to pay the damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

The area where we usually walk her, doesnt require a lead. Plenty of dogs without leads running there, and from the information I managed to find, dogs on that route are not required to be on a lead.

unless you normally walk her in your own private enclosed garden, you require to have her on a lead. just cause other dogs owners are being irresponsible doesn't mean "no lead required"

saying that your man sounds like a nut. if he wanted the dog treated at a specific vet he should have said immediately not visit every vet in the country till hes happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I would check as soon as you can with ucd as I know from others self referrals are only during the day,

There's an emergency/out of hours clinic at UCDVH too. From posts on here it's expensive and I'm not sure how it ties in with the "day time" UCD clinic - I think it might be separate entity but I'm sure others who have used it can confirm.

Again to re-iterate as I think other posters may have missed the point made by the OP too since they're still talking about how much the OP should or shouldn't pay - the other owner has insurance.

They can claim for any bills and get reimbursed a few weeks later so there's no way the OP should entertain them at this stage imo. If they don't want to claim for whatever reason then that's their decision - let them cover the costs themselves. (Their policy will go up anyways every year btw)

unless you normally walk her in your own private enclosed garden, you require to have her on a lead. just cause other dogs owners are being irresponsible doesn't mean "no lead required"

saying that your man sounds like a nut. if he wanted the dog treated at a specific vet he should have said immediately not visit every vet in the country till hes happy

Would this be a viable point to bring up?

I mean, we brought him to the nearest vet, since it was an emergency in his opinion, thats fine.
    Got the vet check.
    He wasnt happy with the outcome, and decided to bring the dog to a different place.
    Should he have brought her to his vet first? The local vet didnt refer the dog, and he went to UCD completely on his own judgement.

This is really starting to bother me now, cause he received first help, but just wasnt happy with the outcome.

Ill get in touch with UCD this evening, and post on here what the story is.
    Guess ill work from that.

For now, thank you for all your valuable advice and opinions on this matter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ill get in touch with UCD this evening, and post on here what the story is.
    Guess ill work from that.

You might have better luck getting the original vet to contact them - I've had issues before where they weren't so helpful when I called but then my vet called them instead - she's not somebody you mess with lol! :pac:

They would have at least gotten an itemized bill if not discharge notes as well - I've gotten a write up printed and emailed to me when I was there (this wasn't the OOH clinic though so may be different).. and possibly filled out insurance claim forms while they were there.

Now if they were claiming the bill from the first vet to cover part/all of the excess they'd need to talk to each other so the vet would definitely be able to get more information than you I think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

There's just no way he got a vet bill in Belfield of €600. He's totally trying to milk the situation. UCD don't offer out of hours AFAIK, if you go there evenings or weekends you are dealing with one of a group of private practices on the southside that lease the premises to offer emergency care to their clients.

To put €600 in perspective, my girl spent three days in intensive care in UCD in an oxygen chamber, she had an ultrasound on her heart, neuro exam, a high-risk bronchoscopy under anaesthetic and histology - it was €900 and the deposit when she was being admitted was €300.

Total scam. I would offer to pay the excess on his policy, and that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

boomerang wrote: »
    There's just no way he got a vet bill in Belfield of €600. He's totally trying to milk the situation. UCD don't offer out of hours AFAIK, if you go there evenings or weekends you are dealing with one of a group of private practices on the southside that lease the premises to offer emergency care to their clients.

Boomerang is totally right about the UCD after hours service. It's a totally different entity to the UCD vetinary school and attached clinic. When my own vet is closed, UCD after-hours clinic is where I go because my own clinic and a few other clinics throughout the city combine their services to offer this emergency facility. Once the night walk-in service ends, they hand the facility back to the vet team at UCD proper.

The vets that work there change every couple of days because they are attached to practices elsewhere in the city during daytime hours.

In the 3 times I've attended with my dog, most recently in February, a deposit of 200 euro is required if the dog needs overnight admission. Upon collection early the following morning, the remainder of the bill is paid before discharge back to your own vet. If "exploratory surgery" did happen, an overnight stay would have been required.

Like others, I'm struggling to believe how any vet would put a dog through unnecessary surgery at an owners insistence if your own vet deemed the dog to be ok.

If the "surgery" did happen at the emergency clinic in UCD, the dog would have been discharged for followup treatment back to it's own vet. Did this happen? Who took out his stitches after the "exploratory surgery"?

It's quite unlikely that a vet in the emergency clinic would talk to you if you weren't the dog's owner. However, either ask your vet to enquire or try to get the name of the vet that the dog was discharged back to following his treatment at the emergency clinic.

You did the correct thing when your dog attacked his dog, you brought him to a local vet to be checked out. You paid that bill. Please do not pay one penny more until more clarity on the situation is received.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

You helped this guy already. He is taking the piss now. Do not give him any more money and let the local gardai know what he is up to. He is trying to take your money, obviously a scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Responsibility and circumstances to one side... IF you decide to pay more than you have done... Pay it to the VET directly! Deal with the VET only.

Bills and paperwork are easy to forge. People (sometimes) are only out to milk a situation.

My wife's poor dad got done for 70k off a shower of scumbags... That weren't even hurt. They actually wanted cash up front at the accident site - and went on to fool both insurance companies.

Like you... The accident was his fault, with minor damage. They, however - wanted more than their fair share.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 offline

This is one of the strangest line of events I ever read .
    The injured party walked you cousin home , while insisting his dog had live threatening injuries ? How far of a walk was this ?
    Call me crazy , but if I feared for the live of my pet , the only route I would take , is the shortest way to the vet , everything else is secondary and can be sorted later on .

Hope you get this sorted out , I would be very suspicious .

Please excuse me for saying this , it is just my opinion not any form of critic . The muscle is not the solution to controlling your dog . You said she is heavily pregnant , which often results in her being more protective/assertive especial towards strange dogs . She should not be put in a stressful situation like this ( feeling the need to protect herself from strange dogs ) in her condition . Nor would I personally take the risk of exposure to who knows what kind of infection risks in her very advanced stage of pregnancy . I know this is OTT , but to me it is not worth the risk . Again , please don't take this as critic , it just my opinion , and a point I thought worth highlighting.

Advertisement