Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with site slow on all mac browsers

Options
  • 21-05-2015 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Hi guys,

First time posting. I have created a web site in wordpress. It's based on the photocrati theme.

The site renders fine on a windows PC but it's very slow on a mac. On all browsers. I have a MacBook Pro and the issue is in all browsers. I thought it might be the mac itself but have tested it on other macs and have the same problem.

The site is www.brendanose.com

Any help is appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You're right, very slow on a Mac.

A few suggestions:

Run a speed test on GTMetrix.com, fix all the problems highlighted and you should see a significant improvement.
    Use a CDN (cloudflare.com is free).
    Turn off dynamics css generation in Photocrate theme (apparently).
    Talk to the authors of Photocrati, you're not the only one to complain about speed issues.
    Use a WordPress cache plugin
    Try your site with one of the default themes, still slow?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Works fine on Firefox for me.

Slow on Chrome though, check the developer tools on Chrome and see the network. Not sure what the issue is, but css and js seems to load slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Not sure it's just mac browsers but there's possibly a load order issue that's making it worse on mac.

Pingdom Tools report is showing it as very slow:

http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/bc15Vw/http://brendanose.com

But there's not one resource that seems to be the problem.

As usual with Wordpress it's a big mess of theme css and various scripts so it's hard to find which one is the actual problem.

Maybe if you temporarily switch the site to a basic theme and test again GTMetrix or Pingdom and see if you can isolate the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kerry_2008

Hi all thanks for the advice. I didctge gtmetrix test and a big red flag was to enable gzip compreasion.

I installed the w3 cache plugin all in ine and changed cache header settings and enabled gzip compression and it seems a lot faster. Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Kerry_2008 wrote: »
    Hi all thanks for the advice. I didctge gtmetrix test and a big red flag was to enable gzip compreasion.

I installed the w3 cache plugin all in ine and changed cache header settings and enabled gzip compression and it seems a lot faster. Thanks for the help

Yes that has helped a bit.

I would still keep working on optimising the site though. Cloudflare will give the site a significant boost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement