Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Academic reference?

Options
  • 22-05-2015 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭

Two decades after I graduated, I'm looking at applying for a postgrad but I see that I need 2 references, one academic. How on earth would I go about obtaining one of those? Looking over the transcript of my degree, I seriously doubt I made much of an impression on the lecturers who corrected my exams in the mid-90s.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Honestly I'm not sure. Maybe a simple letter from the admissions office of your alma mater would satisfy some colleges?

It probably depends on the course you want to do and how much competition there is for places. Have you tried contacting the course director or admissions office?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hi mrsdewinter, I had exactly the same issue as yourself (finished college in 1994'ish).
    I asked a colleague in work that is doing a Phd in a semi-related field to act as my academic referee and that was accepted. So find the most highly educated person you know and ask them to be your academic referee would be my recommendation.
    I'm sure the college will understand, what else could anyone do?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Ask the college you are applying to what they suggest?

I had a similar issue applying for a postgrad and they accepted the transcript without the reference once I explained it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

MrWalsh wrote: »
    I had a similar issue applying for a postgrad and they accepted the transcript without the reference once I explained it to them.

Same here, they really do not expect an academic reference if it has been a long time since you were last in formal education.

Advertisement