Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet Switch

• 22-05-2015 12:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭

Hi, considering purchasing an Ethernet switch(http://www.pcworld.ie/Mobile/Product/tplink-tlsf1005d-5port-ethernet-switch/322040/402.0.6) to connect both my PS3 and PC directly to my modem. However, I read this* regarding them and ISP, and was concerned about the price issue. Does anybody have any experience/clarification?

*Secondly, I would forget the switch and just use your router because if you bypass it and use a switch your Router will get a public IP address, and your Xbox will get a Public IP address and those cost money. Your ISP only "rents" you one public IP address, so If you want to pay double for halfing your bandwidth than by all means use a switch. Simple solution, put your Xbox 360 on the DeMilitarized Zone (DMZ) in your router, this will give you and open NAT, and give you a better connection to all the other gamers.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Future proof by ensuring any switch you purchase has poe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

my friend wrote: »

Had a look at that and they're a bit out of budget :P any idea on the qs in the op?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Connecting one port of the switch to your router and then connecting your other devices to the other switch ports will work just fine. That other nonsense you quoted does not apply as it refers to bypassing your modem/router which you would never do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

degsie wrote: »
    Connecting one port of the switch to your router and then connecting your other devices to the other switch ports will work just fine. That other nonsense you quoted does not apply as it refers to bypassing your modem/router which you would never do.

Perfect then. Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Could always use a Poe Injector on a non Poe switch if the need arose.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

The majority of people will never need POE

The majority of people will never need POE

They'll be the same people that don't need a switch.

my friend wrote:
    They'll be the same people that don't need a switch.

Pointless for a household, what use will they get of it?

Pointless for a household, what use will they get of it?

Cctv

Cctv

Your advise should be get a POE switch if you plan on adding CCTV in future. Getting a POE switch now is a huge expense for something you may never add or need. Dumb ethernet switches are very cheap, just get that now and replace it later when needed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement