Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bioshock: Convince me to play it and like it!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I only played Bioshock for the first time this year (just too many other games got in the way, I'm looking at you Demon's/Dark Souls!)

Found it excellent. One of the most atmospheric environments I've encountered with an engaging storyline and interesting characters. It feels old but I liked that - it takes ages to reload your gun for instance which slows down combat and resources are scarce so you need to be inventive with ammo etc.

I'm about half way through Bioshock 2 and it's inferior in most ways, still worth a play but its more like an epilogue to the first game. Also the combat has been modernised and thus feels like every other shooter :( I still plan on finishing it as the world is one I'm invested in now and I want to see how the third game pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Infinite will blow you socks off. The DLC is particularly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

All three games are excellent. Story is strongest in 1 and 3 but 2 has the best gameplay.

Treat yourself and play them all in order. I'm jealous because I'll never get to play BioShock for the first time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

gaius c wrote: »
    All three games are excellent. Story is strongest in 1 and 3 but 2 has the best gameplay.

Treat yourself and play them all in order. I'm jealous because I'll never get to play BioShock for the first time again.

Don't have time to play games atm, but I played through 1, 2 and infinite back last December, started to play through the infinite expansion set in Rapture but never finished it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I played Infinite recently and I packed it in after a few hours. I was spending way too much time either searching cabinets, or feeling like I was missing out by not searching through them. I can handle that in an RPG, but not in something that works best as a straight up shooter. I felt the same about the original Bioshock. Ultimately I think it's a fascinating series, but that aspect of the gameplay is not for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bioshock is a very hard game to go back to a play these days. After the hype I'm not sure if it's even a fun game.
    and from one controversial opinion to a correct one, infinite is kind of poo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Bioshock is a very hard game to go back to a play these days. After the hype I'm not sure if it's even a fun game.
    and from one controversial opinion to a correct one, infinite is kind of poo.

Theres always one and its usually retro :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I adored the game when it came out but tried to play it again recently and just put it down after a few hours because I just wasn't enjoying it. Maybe I burned out on it.

I'll stand by what I said about infinite though, it's a poor shooter and the story is nonsense. The second piece of DLC was surprisingly great, lots of fun to be had there. The story retconning of infinite though is embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I played it for the first time this year and I liked the "dated" feel. The slow reloading/switching weapons just felt more realistic and added an extra element of strategy (alongside the scarce ammo) to combat. The figure-it-out-yourself nature of some of the missions was like a breath of fresh air. The levels organically join up and are well designed to give a feeling of space and size (even if its mostly smoke and mirrors)

The second game undoes all of these "flaws" with faster combat and linear levels. The story is wafer thin also.

I probably spoiled myself with System Shock 2 which I played after Bioshock and found it to be a far better game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Free Hat

I have only played the first Bioshock.

I was like the OP in that I had it on my console for ages and played the first 30 mins but abandoned it and couldn't bring myself to get into it.

Eventually, I got back to it and began playing through it. I would say it is in my top 5 games of all time. Probably remember more scenes from Bioshock than any other game. The story is gripping and the gameplay is actually excellent I thought. Brilliant, brilliant game. Played through it again about 2 months after and enjoyed it even more!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

BioShock 1 and Infinite for me, picked up all 3 for a tenner today on the humble bundle, will be getting the content for Infinite now soon, will be playing that....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I have always been fascinated by the Bioshock Trilogy. I have all 3 games on Steam, and I have yet to play any of them properly.
    Bioshock is good but probably a little bit dated now. The style and level design is top notch, as is the whole steampunk weapons and setting. It's far from perfect though, the pacing is fairly poor and it throws in one too many fetch-quests. It has some interesting characters and a decent story but nothing special. A lot of people will tell you that the story is great, I suspect what they mean is that the twist is great, but i can't really say anything more there...

overall, it's a damn good shooter and well worth your time, even if it's cheerleaders probably praise it a bit more than they should.

I have Bioshock 2 on PC and haven't gotten around to it yet, haven't touched Infinite either.
    I cannot seem to pull myself into the game! I have a very similar feeling towards Half Life but as of this moment I can't be bothered with that franchise

I love Half-Life. It's also an imperfect gem. There's feckall story to worry about while you have fun mowing down almost everything that moves. The platforming sections are poor (like all first person platforming) but the combat is challenging, especially with the soldiers.
    Half-Life 2 is meh though. (yes, i went there!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Unfortunately it's very very hard to go back to BioShock 1 having played the second game as the gameplay mechanics/controls which were mildly irrating first time around get a promotion to uber frustrating in hindsight. Most everything else is vastly superior in 1 though. The level design and all round ambience are still right up there IMO, and the story ain't half bad either.

I loved the first one but got bored of the third one after an hour or two. Just felt like a generic shooter. I didn't like Columbia at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I loved the first one but got bored of the third one after an hour or two. Just felt like a generic shooter. I didn't like Columbia at all.

It gets lots of praise but I wasn't a fan. One was great and two was good (the combat was improved but nothing new in the story).

In three I didn't like only having two weapons. I found I just used the rocket launcher and rifle but not much else.
    I really liked the Rapture setting but Columbia just wasnt scary. The big Daddy knock offs were a pain. They just jump out of nowhere and charge you. The old ones needed planning. I just didnt care for the gameplay.

Advertisement