Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 14), May 22-23

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Up against the last team to beat us in the league this evening. 20 games ago we lost 1-0 away to Pats and since then we've won fifteen and drawn four league games. I think even the most ardent Pats fan will admit that a defeat tonight = season over already. Even a win will still see them ten points adrift of the champs. Anyway should mean we see an all out attack from Pats probably targeting Barrett in the centre of defence who was a tad shaky against Derry although in fairness to him it was mainly his passing rather than defending that was the issue in that game.

I predict Dundalk will take the lead scoring after a lightening quick counter attack before Pats equalize late on. Would be happy enough with the draw as we have a fairly decent four games coming up with a good opportunity to pick up wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I'm expecting an unbelievably dire 0-0 draw at the Cross tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Pighead wrote: »
    Up against the last team to beat us in the league this evening. 20 games ago we lost 1-0 away to Pats and since then we've won fifteen and drawn four league games. I think even the most ardent Pats fan will admit that a defeat tonight = season over already. Even a win will still see them ten points adrift of the champs. Anyway should mean we see an all out attack from Pats probably targeting Barrett in the centre of defence who was a tad shaky against Derry although in fairness to him it was mainly his passing rather than defending that was the issue in that game.

I predict Dundalk will take the lead scoring after a lightening quick counter attack before Pats equalize late on. Would be happy enough with the draw as we have a fairly decent four games coming up with a good opportunity to pick up wins.

Pats are one of the few teams that are capable of beating us so a draw would be an excellent result when you consider our existing lead. Gartland and O'Donnell are big losses. I know O'Donnell probably wouldn't have started but the energy he brings off the bench has helped with a lot of the late goals we've scored lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

CHealy wrote: »

Yeah Caulfield was spot on in implying we'll come down and play behind the ball to thwart your beautifully fluid, low-contact Tiki-Taka.

Nutsy should take a leaf from JC's book with your all-out attacking blitzkrieg in Tallaght earlier in the season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

anncoates wrote: »
    Yeah Caulfield was spot on in implying we'll come down and play behind the ball to thwart your beautifully fluid, low-contact Tiki-Taka.

Nutsy should take a leaf from JC's book with your all-out attacking blitzkrieg in Tallaght earlier in the season.

Thats the difference between Dundalk and you two at the minute. We go to win games, yougo set up for a point!

• Advertisement

Last 0-0 home game for Cork was back in 2012
    Last two home games have seen five goals scored each time.
    7 home games this season have seen 25 goals. An average of almost 4 a game.

Yet you predict a dire 0-0. Your negativity is clouding your thought process. 0-0 is the last result I'd expect this evening. Cheer up. Things could be a lot worse. You could be a Drogheda supporter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Shels match is 7.15pm to facilitate work on the floodlights.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Yet you predict a dire 0-0. Your negativity is clouding your thought process. 0-0 is the last result I'd expect this evening. Cheer up. Things could be a lot worse. You could be a Drogheda supporter.

The game in Tallaght became farcical towards the end, both teams were winning throw ins in the far corners and working it back to their defence rather than risk taking a shot.

Might not be 0-0 but likely low scoring. Might be able to make it down there.

dfx- wrote: »
    The game in Tallaght became farcical towards the end, both teams were winning throw ins in the far corners and working it back to their defence rather than risk taking a shot.

Might not be 0-0 but likely low scoring. Might be able to make it down there.
    That's Cork away for you. Ultra defensive and determined not to lose. At home they're a different team. I'd be surprised if there's a ground in the league that has seen more goals than the cross this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Thats the difference between Dundalk and you two at the minute. We go to win games, yougo set up for a point!

Actually wish that was true. It would mean our tardiness in getting forward was actually intentional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

First LOI game in a year. It's always strange watching the match as a neutral but should be a decent game of ball at Richmond

I was present for the 0-0 draw in Tallaght earlier in the season. You'd be of the same opinion as me if you were too.
    anncoates wrote: »

I wasn't just having a go at Shamrocks tactics btw, I've been extremely critical of JC's style, more so away from home obviously.

I was present for the 0-0 draw in Tallaght earlier in the season. You'd be of the same opinion as me if you were too.
    Again, Cork are a different animal at home than away. They generally don't do 0-0's at home.

Again, Cork are a different animal at home than away. They generally don't do 0-0's at home.

I agree we play much better football at home, but we've only played yourselves out of the top 4 so far, and we lost that 2-1. Tonight will tell alot about wheter we are up for it this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

First LOI game in a year. It's always strange watching the match as a neutral but should be a decent game of ball at Richmond
    Im going to that game too as a neutreal. Could be one of the games of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The last season and a third City at home seem to play one very good half and one poor half, but it tends to be enough.

Last week against Drogs was a typical example. Shocking the 1st half, more like it the 2nd.

Even at this stage we are playing for European places nothing more. Just hand trophy to Dundalk now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Harps can set themselves a new record start to a season tonight, done 11 undefeated league games 3 times now with this year and once each in the 70s and 80s. (outright record for us is 17)
    If Athlone beat Youths we could be 9 clear too! But as i know harps so well, im still waiting for the bubble to burst! UCD in form too so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Thinking can get a point in Dalymount, a win would be a shock but great. Last week showed it can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Youths Athlone match abandoned at 45 minutes due to generator failure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Youths Athlone match abandoned at 45 minutes due to generator failure

So annoyed about that. It was a game we were never going to lose, despite a lot of effort from Athlone.

I spoke to the match delegate and he said the ref wasn't going to start the 2nd half unless he was sure he could finish. Seemingly, the fire in the generator did a fair bit of damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

That was unpleasant, battered by Dundalk who can manage to dominate a game and still play Mc Millan. We had chances but ultimatley it was all Dundalk who took their chances, exceptionally clinical team.

Not gonna moan about the refs because we both have the same incompetent refs but would love to play Dundalk with 11 men tho.....

Jamie Mc Grath ♥

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

0-0 in the cross, poor quality stuff. Cork hit the bar with 5 to go, probably the best of the limited chances.

And prediction of the week goes to........................

Worst LOI game I've seen since the winter Sunday morning games in the 90's. Brutal stuff from both sides, Dundalk must be pissing themselves laughing at us, Rovers and Pats. They could break all sorts of records this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Utter rubbish. 2 crap teams trying not to lose. Disgusted.

Good game in Finn Park, havnt heard a celebration like that in years!
    Home winning record gone but still unbeaten, Il take it!

UCD are definitely going to start hunting us down though. Surprisingly strong side...
    And wait for it... I thought the ref had a good game!!! Not supposed to happen in loi!

Edit: Attendance 1155... I heard a clap for ucds second, could have been from the dugout

Cork were ****
    Rovers were drunk.

Cork were dire. Worst I have ever seen us play at the Cross. No bit of drive all. As for Rovers. They want to start practising how to take throws. You're meant to find a player, not throw it straight out over the line again ;)

Worst game of the year.

Possibly the worst League of Ireland game ever played. Really was embarrassing stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

overshoot wrote: »
    Good game in Finn Park, havnt heard a celebration like that in years!
    Home winning record gone but still unbeaten, Il take it!

UCD are definitely going to start hunting us down though. Surprisingly strong side...
    And wait for it... I thought the ref had a good game!!! Not supposed to happen in loi!
    In both games we've been 2-1 up in the last 10 minutes and lost the lead. I'd say we'll have to beat ye in the other two games if we're to have a chance. Though if I'm being honest, it may not be a bad thing to have another season in the first division as we've a very young team (well, moreso than usual).

We do seem to be getting a head of steam up though. 8 games unbeaten. Sheriff next week and I would expect us to easily beat Cabinteely on a decent pitch the week after.

• Advertisement

In both games we've been 2-1 up in the last 10 minutes and lost the lead. I'd say we'll have to beat ye in the other two games if we're to have a chance. Though if I'm being honest, it may not be a bad thing to have another season in the first division as we've a very young team (well, moreso than usual).

We do seem to be getting a head of steam up though. 8 games unbeaten. Sheriff next week and I would expect us to easily beat Cabinteely on a decent pitch the week after.

Haha u were the clap so! Good game, thought we may have nicked it as with the last 2. 6 goals conceeded in 3 games. Mailey(possibly out of necessity) was on the bench but Cowan at least 2 weeks away, need them badly. Coll Mia tonight too for whatever reason, it showed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

gimmick wrote: »
    Utter rubbish. 2 crap teams trying not to lose. Disgusted.

If Rovers were crap, we were absolutely dirge. At least they came to play a bit and with anyone up front would have won it very handy. They had every bit of good play that was in the game. Wish we looked anything like that playing away from home.

Corholio wrote: »
    If Rovers were crap, we were absolutely dirge. At least they came to play a bit and with anyone up front would have won it very handy. They had every bit of good play that was in the game. Wish we looked anything like that playing away from home.

Which was about 2 mini breaks being honest. Cork were utter rubbish, name it what you will, but Rovers were nothing better then crap themselves.

Longford, Drogheda and Galway were better when they came to the Cross and they all lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

dreamers75 wrote: »
    That was unpleasant, battered by Dundalk who can manage to dominate a game and still play Mc Millan. We had chances but ultimatley it was all Dundalk who took their chances, exceptionally clinical team.

Not gonna moan about the refs because we both have the same incompetent refs but would love to play Dundalk with 11 men tho.....

Jamie Mc Grath ♥

You saying McMillan is poor?
    He was fecking excellent and ran his bol*lox iff for the team tonight.And the ref got it right regarding the Browne sending off. Bolger also lucky to stay on the field for his relentless kicking of Towell and everyone else that came within a foot of him.Seems to be the Buckley way these days sending out his sides to kick everyone when there is so much talent & decent football in that Patricks side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

McMillian has been excellent for Dundalk. Great hold up play & brillant workrate. Horgan was brillant last night. He could have had 5 or 6 if it wasn't for Clarke. Jamie McGrath looks a very good talent too for Pats.

You saying McMillan is poor?
    He was fecking excellent and ran his bol*lox iff for the team tonight.And the ref got it right regarding the Browne sending off. Bolger also lucky to stay on the field for his relentless kicking of Towell and everyone else that came within a foot of him.Seems to be the Buckley way these days sending out his sides to kick everyone when there is so much talent & decent football in that Patricks side.

Im saying he is utterly **** and how you manage to beat everyone and still play him is impressive.

His tackle for the yellow wasnt malicous it was just a poor tackle and gaurantee if it was bolger going in like that studs up it would have been a red.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Im saying he is utterly **** and how you manage to beat everyone and still play him is impressive.

His tackle for the yellow wasnt malicous it was just a poor tackle and gaurantee if it was bolger going in like that studs up it would have been a red.

McMillan has been outstanding his entire time since he has arrived in Oriel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Slow progress for Shels, another win, and somehow still in contention for a play-off place.

Desperately need a goal scorer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Considering Rovers were bullied off the pitch three times last season by Cork especially down in Cork, it's good to be able to fight it out again, even to 0-0.

A striker to help Drennan as a sub/chasing a game would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Was impressed by Miele for Shams. Seemed pretty adventurous with the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

3 wins on the trot! Hasn't been pretty at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Got people talking about LOI at work today. Some of the lads went the to Cork match and said it was awful football. Did mention that the atmosphere was amazing though. Suppose that's something. Might wander down with them next time if they head back (if being the key word) since I can't go to Galway games, I might as well pop in while I'm stuck down here for some football fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Which was about 2 mini breaks being honest. Cork were utter rubbish, name it what you will, but Rovers were nothing better then crap themselves.

Longford, Drogheda and Galway were better when they came to the Cross and they all lost.

They passed it forward infinitely better than we did. Nults wasn't threatened that much, but at least they didnt cut a trench with sideways passes or cut the sky with hoofs anywhere near as much as we did. The last 20 minutes of the first half was all Rovers, we never had any sort of play like that in the entire match. Nothing to do with breaks at all, we never had any pressure on for them to have to break, it was just them playing better than us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Happy with a point away in Dalymount, although from extratime it was a terrible match. Two clean sheets in a row is nice though, give McGuinness some confidence.

Wow. Very unlike me to be so wide of the mark. Surprised at myself and struggling to comprehend how I got it so wrong. In fairness though how on earth can this game end 0-0? A draw is useless to both sides. Surely both sides should have been taking risks looking for that crucial goal?

Anyway, great weekend for the Champs. I'm not going to annoy my fellow Dundalk fans by shouting from the rooftops that the league is more or less done and dusted but I'll be shocked if we throw his lead away. Horgan is a gem. Second best player in the league this year after Towell. Shocking season for Pats so far. Where has it all gone so wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Wow. Very unlike me to be so wide of the mark. Surprised at myself and struggling to comprehend how I got it so wrong. In fairness though how on earth can this game end 0-0? A draw is useless to both sides. Surely both sides should have been taking risks looking for that crucial goal?

Anyway, great weekend for the Champs. I'm not going to annoy my fellow Dundalk fans by shouting from the rooftops that the league is more or less done and dusted but I'll be shocked if we throw his lead away. Horgan is a gem. Second best player in the league this year after Towell. Shocking season for Pats so far. Where has it all gone so wrong?

Some of our big players havent played well and some are in decline. Ger O'Brien and Fagan being injured hasnt helped. The signings with the exception of Desmond havent impressed.

Massive match next Friday if we lose our season is pretty much over.

kksaints wrote: »
    Massive match next Friday if we lose our season is pretty much over.
    Wouldn't say that. Yourselves and Longford are shaping up nicely for a very exciting battle for fifth place. One to keep an eye on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Shels win three in row!

I can't see why Vinny Byrne is playing at all up front. He's slow, he's overweight and he sure doesn't work hard

He was taken off immediately afterwards Shels went 1-0 up and Alan O'Sullivan played well. I'd like to see more of him

I especially like Evan Osam the young left back on loan from Shamrock Rovers. One of the better players on the team imo

Onto to Dundalk for the cup next Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Philly_C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

kksaints wrote: »
    Some of our big players havent played well and some are in decline. Ger O'Brien and Fagan being injured hasnt helped. The signings with the exception of Desmond havent impressed.

Age and injuries are catching up with Pats. When they were at their peak in 2013, they were an excellent side.

Ultimately, it comes down to Buckley not recruiting the right players and not being ruthless enough when it comes to promoting younger players and moving older players on. Gannon/O'Brien being a perfect example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

That and Buckley just being all-round too nice a man to execute the 2 in a row achievement that Fenlon & O'Neill were able to manage

• Advertisement
Advertisement