Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Houdini strop/strap

Options
  • 22-05-2015 7:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    My baby keeps pulling down/wriggling out of his car seat straps. He only wears a top (no coat) in the car and manages to do it no matter how tight I pull them :(
    It is very stressful as I keep pulling over to fix them.

Has anyone used a Houdini strap on a car seat? Is it safe in the event of a crash?
    Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Not really recommended from what I've read. The current advice is to go for a strapped that can be opened with one click to get the child out of the seat as quickly as possible in case of emergency. Can you have the straps as tight as possible? I tighten ourselves every time because of the way the straps are designed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

lazygal wrote: »
    Not really recommended from what I've read. The current advice is to go for a strapped that can be opened with one click to get the child out of the seat as quickly as possible in case of emergency. Can you have the straps as tight as possible? I tighten ourselves every time because of the way the straps are designed.

They were so tight he had a red mark yesterday!!!! :(
    I have tried telling him "no" while he was wriggles out of them.
    They are so tight....he kind of wriggles out but can't pull them down.

My concern with the Houdini is that maybe it could damage his organs in a crash?? (I know that is probably OTT)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

There is a safety device that Velcro's onto the straps coming from around there back. Can't remember what it's called. Think I've seen them in Bella baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

I have a friend who had this problem. Her solution was - put a cardigan or a light hoodie on the seat. Put the baby in, strap then in. Then button/zip up the cardigan or hoodie, so that the car seat straps are fastened underneath. She swears by this method! And apparently it's safer than the Houdini straps in the case of a crash. I haven't had to try it myself yet though.

I have a friend who had this problem. Her solution was - put a cardigan or a light hoodie on the seat. Put the baby in, strap then in. Then button/zip up the cardigan or hoodie, so that the car seat straps are fastened underneath. She swears by this method! And apparently it's safer than the Houdini straps in the case of a crash. I haven't had to try it myself yet though.
    Sorry how does that work? Do you put the baby into seat then but the hoodie on backwards?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

Millem wrote: »
    Sorry how does that work? Do you put the baby into seat then but the hoodie on backwards?? :confused:

No basically the idea is that you put the hoodie on normally, but with the straps fastened underneath. So that the child can't reach the clip, or wriggle out.

As I've said I've never had to use it myself in practice! But she does it all the time.

I guess it would work better if you used quite an oversized hoodie or cardigan? As the straps are underneath, it shouldn't affect the safety of the baby.

If you give it a try, let me know how you get on! So I'll know for future reference, if necessary.

No basically the idea is that you put the hoodie on normally, but with the straps fastened underneath. So that the child can't reach the clip, or wriggle out.

As I've said I've never had to use it myself in practice! But she does it all the time.

I guess it would work better if you used quite an oversized hoodie or cardigan? As the straps are underneath, it shouldn't affect the safety of the baby.

If you give it a try, let me know how you get on! So I'll know for future reference, if necessary.

I still don't get it :(
    My problem is he literally throws himself left to wriggle his right arm out and then throws himself right to get his left out. If I put a hoody on the straps would be looser?? I am going To ring incarsafetycentre where I bought my seats as they sell 2 devices :)

lmullen wrote: »
    There is a safety device that Velcro's onto the straps coming from around there back. Can't remember what it's called. Think I've seen them in Bella baby.

Is this it?
    http://incarsafetycentre.co.uk/product/5-point-plus-15-30months/

Incarsafetycentre recommended this for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Millem wrote: »
    I still don't get it :(
    My problem is he literally throws himself left to wriggle his right arm out and then throws himself right to get his left out. If I put a hoody on the straps would be looser?? I am going To ring incarsafetycentre where I bought my seats as they sell 2 devices :)

I think what the poster is saying is essentially rather than having their coat/zippy zipped up or buttoned behind the straps as normal, leave it open and then when you have tightened the straps zip up the hoody outside the straps by pulling the jumper through the tightened straps

I got the besafe belt guard....so far so good!!
    http://www.pushchairsandcarseats.co.uk/item/3132/besafe-belt-guard.aspx
    Tony kealys sell them for €5. They are not the same as the Houdini strap. The straps just slide in and out.
    They also sell the 5 point anti escape harness but I reckon he still would escape :(
    They checked the harness and I did have it fitted correctly he is just a little monkey :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement