Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC slower after adding more ram

Options
  • 22-05-2015 7:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Was unable to move this thread I started in molding,

I just added another 8GB kit to my PC, I have a 8GB kit already installed and has been running fine(G.Skill RipjawsX F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL) . The thing is, my that my PC takes a litte bit longer to do things and boot.

Is there a way of checking if RAM is performing correctly ?
    Also what settings should I be using with this ram (I thought it was just plug and play!)

PC Spec
    ASRock H87 Pro4
    16GB of G.Skill RipjawsX F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL (2 x 8GB Kits
    120 SSD (Boot Drive)
    Intel Xeon 1230 v3 3.30

Haven't really thinkered with the BIOS before so not sure what settings to change and what to change them to

Thanks in advance
    BobbyT28

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Should be plug and play. Use Memtest86+ to test it though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Just started memtest86. , I think the timings are incorrect, it's say 9-9-9-28. It should be 9-9-9-24.

How does it look to you??

memtest86 Screenshot from start of test. Looks like timings are off.

As stated on back of box it should be 9-9-9-24

Any one got any ideas?

BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Pretty sure there is a bios setting for selecting an XMP profile? No expert though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

There is no way in hell that ram timings makes the slightest bit of difference to day to day operations that anybody could notice.

• Advertisement

There is no way in hell that ram timings makes the slightest bit of difference to day to day operations that anybody could notice.

correction timings are 11-11-11-28 but box says they should be 9-9-9-24.

Don't know enough to dispute that. But why since I installed the extra 8GB of Ram has my PC become lagey and slower to do day to day things?

Thanks for the replies.

Bobbyat28

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    correction timings are 11-11-11-28 but box says they should be 9-9-9-24.

Don't know enough to dispute that. But why since I installed the extra 8GB of Ram has my PC become lagey and slower to do day to day things?

Thanks for the replies.

Bobbyat28

BTW, on 2nd pass no errors. How long does test run for?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It takes about 2.5-3 hrs roughly.

You can change the timings in bios settings press the correct key on prompt on keyboard at boot screen.

It takes about 2.5-3 hrs roughly.

You can change the timings in bios settings press the correct key on prompt on keyboard at boot screen.

Was still running 4hrs later! Just stopped it. Had done 2 pass and was on 3rd without any errors.

Went into bios and changed profile to 9-9-9-24. Anyway, would xfast lan and fast USB slow down things (they come with asrock mb)? Maybe it's in my head but I think goings maybe running a bit better, should I see a big difference on computer with double the ram or would the upgrade be slight? I'm currently using USB dingle for Internet access just wondering?

Thanks again.

For someone who has never ran any benchmark tests. How am I to know if my computer is running optimally or if it can run faster by tweaking things? Only built this pc last year and have only really had a chance to start messing with it now!

Thanks again for the reply.

BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Whip out the new ram and use pc for half an hour. Put new ram in and aee is there a difference

• Advertisement
Advertisement