Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NMH Holles St Semi-Private recommendations

Options
  • 22-05-2015 7:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a consultant in Holles St semi-p?
    My GP said they are all equally good but when I rang to make my appointment they asked who I would like to see..... Have to ring back today with a name!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Hi all
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a consultant in Holles St semi-p?
    My GP said they are all equally good but when I rang to make my appointment they asked who I would like to see..... Have to ring back today with a name!
    Thanks

Have a look on the nmh website and they have a list of the consultants and then maybe Google their names. They are all good I am sure. I am with Laoise OBrien. She's very busy, waiting time for appointments on Monday afternoons is usually around an hour however at times has been less and other times has been more!
    She came highly recommended by my GP and I do think she is great. Very straight talking.
    Best of luck with your choice. They each have a specific time/day of the week that they have their appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

We had Dr Stephen Carroll. A lot of people commented on how highly they'd recommend him. He was nice and we never waitied for any more than an hour, if that, for any appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ardeehey

We used Peter Boylan, former Master of the hospital and is very public figure, tends to be one of the experts used when it comes to investigations relating to maternity in hospitals. Found him to be a gentleman, very busy, he is like a whirlwind in and out but his attitude and professionalism is top notch. Only down side is that occasionally he doesn't take his own clinics but we had no issue with that. would absolutely use him again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Rhona Mahoney or Declan Keane are both exceptional.

Ardeehey wrote: »
    We used Peter Boylan, former Master of the hospital and is very public figure, tends to be one of the experts used when it comes to investigations relating to maternity in hospitals. Found him to be a gentleman, very busy, he is like a whirlwind in and out but his attitude and professionalism is top notch. Only down side is that occasionally he doesn't take his own clinics but we had no issue with that. would absolutely use him again.

Also recommend reading his book. Very matter of fact and to the point. Got it in a charity shop second hand but thought it was very good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

We went with Dr Michael Foley, aka Quick Mick! Publicly. As the nickname suggests, you won't see him for long at any appointment - it's an in-and-out kind of thing (but you get a scan at every appointment, and he'll always print you a photo.) He's known for being very fast and efficient, but also for picking up any problems at a glance. Some people find him too brisk, I actually found it reassuring. He wasn't there for the birth, but he did come up to visit us on the ward the next day (I've heard he's the only consultant who the midwives opt for when they're pregnant themselves, which says a lot.)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Whereisgerry?

I've just had my 2nd baby with Laoise O'Brien. Shes a fantastic lady - couldnt recommend her more. Shes young & has 2 young kiddies herself so shes been through it all herself. She was amazing during the births as well - cool, calm & 100% in control. If you want anymore info just PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Rhona Mahoney or Declan Keane are both exceptional.

Pretty sure neither does semi private any more though.

I've just had my 2nd baby with Laoise O'Brien. Shes a fantastic lady - couldnt recommend her more. Shes young & has 2 young kiddies herself so shes been through it all herself. She was amazing during the births as well - cool, calm & 100% in control. If you want anymore info just PM me.

Do you mind me asking were you seeing her privately or semi? Thanks.

Laoise O'Brien is good, I had her looking after me for something. I would be really sceptical of the "all the midwives" go for a certain doctor stories. I've heard they all go for about five different doctors, including one I wouldn't let near me, or they all go midwife led or public or private.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Blingy wrote: »
    Also recommend reading his book. Very matter of fact and to the point. Got it in a charity shop second hand but thought it was very good

I found his book incredibly patronising and off-putting while pregnant. 'Don't be annoying the midwives with different birthing positions, lie back and do as you're told like a good girl.' Urgh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I had Keane and Foley and they are very different but both excellent.
    Foley is really quick but a midwife recommended him as their choice of consultant,a few people don't like his bedside manner but i found him nice.
    Keane is lovely and I also found him good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

I am attending Dr. Orla Sheil. She is fantastic. Now very much to the point but in a good way and I get a scan on every appointment.

Couldnt recommend enough

lazygal wrote: »
    Pretty sure neither does semi private any more though.

Really. I didn't know that. I went private so just presumed they did semi.

I have also heard Orla sheil is very good

http://www.nmh.ie/maternity-care-options/semi-private-clinic.1026.html

List here. Maybe people can recommend based on it.

There's one on that list I will not recommend, not because of bedside manner but for medical reasons.

lazygal wrote: »
    http://www.nmh.ie/maternity-care-options/semi-private-clinic.1026.html

List here. Maybe people can recommend based on it.

There's one on that list I will not recommend, not because of bedside manner but for medical reasons.

+1 Lazygal... I'm pretty sure we are thinking of the same consultant that we wouldn't recommend for medical reasons...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Can one of you pm me the one you would avoid?

Pm sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Whereisgerry?

Blingy wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking were you seeing her privately or semi? Thanks.

I seen her privately on both children but I have a friend who is seeing her on the public system & shes very happy with her too.

Dolbert wrote: »
    I found his book incredibly patronising and off-putting while pregnant. 'Don't be annoying the midwives with different birthing positions, lie back and do as you're told like a good girl.' Urgh.

Sorry yes definitely some of it was. I suppose I found it handy for finding out Holles St policies and procedures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭deedless

Would you mind poking me too?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭deedless

PM ing even

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Emsloe

Could I get the PM too please - bit of a minefield and would be great to have an idea of who shouldn't make my shortlist when I have to make the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 EJD

Sligo1 wrote: »
    +1 Lazygal... I'm pretty sure we are thinking of the same consultant that we wouldn't recommend for medical reasons...

Hi Ladies, would you mind pm'ing me about this also please? Am booking into SP and not sure who to go with.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I think the consultant in question is one my friend went to privately. Her husband is a Doctor and he was recommended to them. They were very happy with him especially as she a had a few hairy moments after the labour! A girl in work has been to him 3 times and she raves about him.

I suppose each to their own. The consultant I wanted originally in mount Carmel ended up in court (after I gave birth) after a tragic ending but people would still recommend her.

I did domino so only saw the consultant once...can't remember her name...she had blonde hair and tbh my OH wasn't impressed.

Thanks for all the advice. I have booked with Dr Foley, first app is August :)

I'm booked in with Dr. Michael Robson - 2 other consultants I requested were pretty booked up and wouldn't be able to see me until 18/19 weeks when recommended 1st apt with consultant is 17 weeks hence me going with Dr. Robson. Has anyone been to him before? Really hope he's not the consultant the other posters said they'd avoid :(

EJD wrote: »
    I'm booked in with Dr. Michael Robson - 2 other consultants I requested were pretty booked up and wouldn't be able to see me until 18/19 weeks when recommended 1st apt with consultant is 17 weeks hence me going with Dr. Robson. Has anyone been to him before? Really hope he's not the consultant the other posters said they'd avoid :(

He definitely isn't the one I was told about. How many weeks are you now? I rang today and was told I was early enough to book into most consultants, I'm 6 wks

He definitely isn't the one I was told about. How many weeks are you now? I rang today and was told I was early enough to book into most consultants, I'm 6 wks

Ok well that's something! I'm 6 weeks too ;) I rang today also, and Laoise O'Brien and Peter Boylan couldn't see me until I was 19 weeks and 18 weeks and I really wanted to be seen a bit earlier than that so the girl on the phone said Michael Robson could see me at 17 weeks. I didn't have any info on anyone else so just went with that. Hard to know what to do.

• Advertisement

None of those docs are the one I wouldn't recommend. :). Best of luck! :)

Advertisement