Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Tools 11/12 vs. Logic Pro X

Options
  • 22-05-2015 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭

I'm a long time PT+Mac user. Home studio stuff - not commercial. I've been on PT9 since it was released 4 or 5 years ago. No major issues with it other than the odd glitch here & there.

Anyway, I'm about to upgrade my Mac and have run into a problem... PT9 won't run on the current version of OSX. So I'd need to upgrade to PT11 or 12. Apparently, Avid recently introduced a new subscription model for PT. I'm not keen on the whole idea.

I'm now wondering if I'd better switching DAWs completely. Logic Pro X seems to be the best option from what I've read. The cost of PT12 / Logic Pro x are the same (€200).

I'd love to hear from folks familiar with both PT and Logic to get your thoughts on switching from PT to Logic. What are the pros / cons - and any unforeseen pitfalls I need to think about.

I have a few external 3rd party plug-ins including Waves & IK Multimedia. Would I need to change all of those too?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

Any plugins that are available as AU should be fine...
    I'm running Logic Pro X, if you want I can give you a run through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

fitz wrote: »
    Any plugins that are available as AU should be fine...
    I'm running Logic Pro X, if you want I can give you a run through.

Cheers Tony - I might take you up on that. I'm still mulling over it for now.

I'll do a bit more research & give you a shout if I start to veer towards Logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Decided to avoid the hassle (at least for now) & stick with PT. I installed the previous version of OS X on the new Mac so I could stick with PT9.

Advertisement