Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meal delivery services

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭capefear

Due to working long hours for the next two weeks I ordered a weeks food from one of the food delivery companies. Its lunches and dinners for a week. I will keep you updated during the week on how it works out.

I saw a site thehealthyway.ie which will prepare all your meals for a day for €25 and delivery them to your premises every morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,616 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well obviously the more food is massive, as i would have had to make an extra meal on top of the delivery for each day so you can add another 30 quid on to their price there. But as i said, that was exactly my reasoning for looking into these services in the first place, i can't be bothered in the kitchen at all really but i haven't found it too bad. i usually do all my prep sat/sun morning for the week.
    Based on your spent above, its about $2.5-2.75/meal (this is about what I get too). So an extra meal a day will be $20/week. A extra cost none the less.
    Doing it yourself is obviously going to save money, I'm just saying that when you factor in what your time is worth, its a lot less than it first appears. Even more so when you look at people who meals for one every day.

I just don't think its as outrageous as people are suggesting.
    People are saying that 90-127euro per week is very expensive, but at the same time are likely spending more on that per week themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Cook your meals for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday on Sunday and cook your meals for Thursday, Friday and Saturday on Wednesday and then on Sunday cook a fresh dinner as a treat + a cheat meal if you do them.

It's understandable though, being lazy about cooking. I've always said if I'd the money I'd hire a personal chef who would prepare all my meals to fit my macros and also a pt and nutritionist to keep track of my caloric requirements. It would be so amazing having to make such little effort but having better results than ever. If I was really rich I'd probably even just start pinning altogether since you'd have access to the best doctors and pharmacy grade steroids lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Mellor wrote: »
    Based on your spent above, its about $2.5-2.75/meal (this is about what I get too). So an extra meal a day will be $20/week. A extra cost none the less.
    Doing it yourself is obviously going to save money, I'm just saying that when you factor in what your time is worth, its a lot less than it first appears. Even more so when you look at people who meals for one every day.

I just don't think its as outrageous as people are suggesting.
    People are saying that 90-127euro per week is very expensive, but at the same time are likely spending more on that per week themselves.

I'd happily pay €90 for four meals a day 7 days a week ha! But good luck finding that! like i said it still works out around 150 quid a week when i factor in the extra meal yet i'm doing it myself for 70ish that's a big saving. the fact i've been off the drink and i'm fresh means i've more productive time on my hands so a saving of approx 70/80 quid a week is definitely worth 2/3 hours out of my time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I like the idea. And this is something I’ll use in the future. For example, I’m going away to Spain this weekend and I’ll get back at about 7pm Sunday night. Now the last thing I want to do is spend an hour grocery shopping (inc driving to and from there and getting parking etc.) and another hour cooking and cleaning. It would be nice to have all my meals already made for me and delivered. Especially when I’m hung-over.

Thou this is not something I would use on a regular basis. Healthy eating and fitness is a lifestyle. And in order for it to become a lifestyle you are going to have to learn how to do everything by yourself without anybody pushing you.

But have any of you ever used hassle.ie. Its a cleaning service that charges €12 p/h for your house. If you get a cleaner on a Sunday I’m sure they will also help meal prep for you if you show them how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

GiftofGab wrote: »
    But have any of you ever used hassle.ie. Its a cleaning service that charges €12 p/h for your house. If you get a cleaner on a Sunday I’m sure they will also help meal prep for you if you show them how.

Unlikely. Ironing isn't a given so I wouldn't expect them to agree to prep your food.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

GiftofGab wrote: »

Some people just have no shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,616 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd happily pay €90 for four meals a day 7 days a week ha! But good luck finding that! like i said it still works out around 150 quid a week when i factor in the extra meal yet i'm doing it myself for 70ish that's a big saving. the fact i've been off the drink and i'm fresh means i've more productive time on my hands so a saving of approx 70/80 quid a week is definitely worth 2/3 hours out of my time.
    It's worth it for me too, I do a batch on a sunday and freeze them for days I've no lunch prepped.
    I'm just pointing out that a time has a value too. I could understand how some people value those hours at more than the $75 savings.
    For example, say a PT, instead of spending 3 hours in the kitchen, he takes 2-3 clients. And pays for the meal service, coming out on top overall.

But this is still missing the point. The meal service isn't competing with people who prep their meals. It's a service for people who don't. People who are buying breakfast/lunch out everyday. They are probably spending more than $150 a week on food, and they probably aren't eating close to how they should.

Mellor wrote: »
    It's worth it for me too, I do a batch on a sunday and freeze them for days I've no lunch prepped.
    I'm just pointing out that a time has a value too. I could understand how some people value those hours at more than the $75 savings.
    For example, say a PT, instead of spending 3 hours in the kitchen, he takes 2-3 clients. And pays for the meal service, coming out on top overall.

But this is still missing the point. The meal service isn't competing with people who prep their meals. It's a service for people who don't. People who are buying breakfast/lunch out everyday. They are probably spending more than $150 a week on food, and they probably aren't eating close to how they should.

Very true and all good points.

I was coming at this from the point of simply trying to make it through a Whole 30 as easily as possible. I think i made the right decision in the end. The more i've looked at it as the weeks have went on it would have been lazy for me not to cook and splash all that extra cash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

I have a quick question - is it best wake up earlier and cook my food for the day? or cook it for 2/3? If so, what is the best way to store meat? in particular, chicken! I don't want to be sick!

How long will sweet potato last in the fridge?

Also, is there a site for easy, quick paelo recipes for complete newbies?

GeneralC wrote: »
    I have a quick question - is it best wake up earlier and cook my food for the day? or cook it for 2/3? If so, what is the best way to store meat? in particular, chicken! I don't want to be sick!

How long will sweet potato last in the fridge?

Also, is there a site for easy, quick paelo recipes for complete newbies?

I cook for 5 days in advance (on sunday) and store 4 days food in the fridge and the last day in the freezer which i take out on the 4th day. I cook separately each day at the weekend and then prepare for the next week again sunday.

I store beef (chili) and chicken in the fridge up to four days, sweet potato the same although i'm not fussy with texture etc so it gets a bit soft by day 4.

Loads of places do simple simple recipes online, quick google search and you'' get loads.

one i use is: http://paleoleap.com/10-easy-paleo-recipes-beginners/

I cook for 5 days in advance (on sunday) and store 4 days food in the fridge and the last day in the freezer which i take out on the 4th day. I cook separately each day at the weekend and then prepare for the next week again sunday.

I store beef (chili) and chicken in the fridge up to four days, sweet potato the same although i'm not fussy with texture etc so it gets a bit soft by day 4.

Loads of places do simple simple recipes online, quick google search and you'' get loads.

one i use is: http://paleoleap.com/10-easy-paleo-recipes-beginners/

Are you sure chicken is safe after 4 days in the fridge? I thought 1/2 days max?! Also, do you reheat it or just it cold with a salad?

Are you sure chicken is safe after 4 days in the fridge? I thought 1/2 days max?! Also, do you reheat it or just it cold with a salad?

i've been doing it for years and i'm still alive, i keep it in sealed tupperware.
    i usually heat it up but if i'm out and about i'll eat it cold no problem.

I'd store 2 and freeze 2,myself

Another newbie question! How do I best prepare chicken? I am limited with a table top oven and 2 hobs (student life) Sorry for the silly question

• Advertisement

Frying pan or boil it in a pot of water, for me

Another newbie question! How do I best prepare chicken? I am limited with a table top oven and 2 hobs (student life) Sorry for the silly question
    bluewolf wrote: »
    Frying pan or boil it in a pot of water, for me

Boiled chicken is pretty grim. Get some Coconut oil and use a small amount to pan fry it with some spices

Boiled chicken with jd bbq sauce is heaven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

In college, I used to spice it up, wrap in tinfoil and boil.

Did not taste grim.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Boiled chicken with jd bbq sauce is heaven

I'd love to know where that falls in to the paleo guidelines :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

For any fellow Cork heads, i discovered Bodychef today. €75 for 5 days worth of 3 meals a day (breakfast/lunch/dinner) delivered to certain spots in and around the city. Or €65 for 5 days worth of 2 meals a day (dinner/lunch). Found them on facebook. Menu for next week is up.

DuffleBag wrote: »
    For any fellow Cork heads, i discovered Bodychef today. €75 for 5 days worth of 3 meals a day (breakfast/lunch/dinner) delivered to certain spots in and around the city. Or €65 for 5 days worth of 2 meals a day (dinner/lunch). Found them on facebook. Menu for next week is up.

Great value!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

this is old I know but id been struggling with my prep (takes ages and meals were Soooo repetitive)

was looking up this forum and started on bodychef after the rpevious posted recommended it.

food is really good its pricey at 75€ but for me its worth it. delivered to the office every morning 3 meals a day calories carbs protein fat and sugar counted. tasty and portion controlled which for me is vital.

dunno what the stuff in dublin etc is like but a friend of mine in london uses

http://www.paleo-chef.co.uk/5easysteps/

seems like this is a way forward of us lazy girls that want to stay eating well...

Thanks guys!

Advertisement