Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying from China (import duty and tax)

Options
  • 22-05-2015 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi, Im looking to buy a few small electrical items from China.
    I am told by a friend that I will have to pay tax etc.... on these when they reach Ireland,
    They will be sent by DHL,
    is this true?
    I thought that you could take a risk and you might not have to pay it??
    any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,336 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A value will have to be declared on the item for customs, DHL will then collect this amount from you, you won't have an option to not pay it. If the value is very low, think it's below €25 including the cost of delivery there is no duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 andycahill

Do DHL have to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Tracking my package from China over the last few weeks... Arrived in customs last Friday.... No sign of it budging.... Got a letter on Tuesday asking me for prove of the value I paid for including shipping. Sent that And got an email saying that x amount would be due on the item upon delivery to my address, which arrived about two hours ago

how much did you have to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,336 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

andycahill wrote: »
    Do DHL have to do this?

I've received items with DHL from US and from China and have had to pay import duty on both. One item had a value of around $100, the other around $80, the worst thing is the the shipping cost is added to the total value and this total value then is subject to import duty and VAT, rates depend on the category of the item. Duties were around €30 on each, DHL took a hefty fee of this too.

• Advertisement

I wonder if you just get it posted by normal mail will it be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

andycahill wrote: »
    I wonder if you just get it posted by normal mail will it be ok?
    I find stuff gets through normal mail easier than with couriers.

An post will charge €6. Some couriers will charge a %, some a fixed rate, which is nearly always higher, about €15 typically.

Since VAT is on shipping it also makes sense to use cheaper postage for that reason too.

Duty does not get applyed if the goods are under €150 worth. I do not think duty is charged on shipping costs, but VAT is.

My theory of stuff slipping through normal post is that its not worth their while to collect a low VAT amount and admin fee of €6, while couriers seem to jump a the chance to get their higher admin fees.

Many years ago on TV news a revenue spokesman actually said the limit was €45, which was the limit for gifts.

Revenue officially do not collect below €6 in VAT, so even though the lower limit is €22, a typical item like a DVD at a VAT rate of 23% has a working limit of €26.08 -since only items above this value will have VAT equal or above €6. This limit will change if the VAT % changes.

I am not sure if this limit goes for couriers too, if not then if you bought a €1 item and had €22 postage your combined value is €23 and so in theory you might be liable, and the couriers might jump at the chance to get their admin fee. Another method is to split the postage, many chinese sites offer "free postage", I also find if you order separately from the likes of DX it comes faster -my theory on that is that they hold off sending stuff until its all gathered and sent in 1 parcel, and they might have various warehouses far apart.

With the euro so weak I have been looking to EU sites and finding better prices than £ or $ based sites -and no risk of customs.

Advertisement