Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a lug crimper

Options
  • 22-05-2015 1:41pm

I'd like to add one of these to my toolbox.

Ideally one that'll go to 120mm² for low voltage cables.
    What do you think are best?
    I'm inclined to go for a mechanical one but they're mad money.
    The hydraulic ones are much cheaper and I'm just wondering if they'll do as good or better a job?

What are the pros and cons?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The ordinary mechanical one might be easier and quicker to crimp lugs if 120 is largest you are thinking you'd be doing.

I think the hydraulic one might be the type you pump until the die faces meet, and the crimper then won't pump anymore but sort of has a pressure relief that let's it slip closed if you keep pumping.

Seems very cheap all the same for it.

Can't see myself needing more than 95mm² really but 120mm² is the closest I saw after a quick look. Pain in the hoop soldering the blighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

Thanks guys, it's more of an academic question at the moment. Is there any difference in the quality of the crimps between the tools?
    Obviously portability, wieldiness, convenience and die availability are considerations too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If 95 or 120 was the upper limit of what you would be doing, my choice would be the simple mechanical one. I have one here which goes from 6 to 120 square by use of a rotating die set always fitted to the tool. Simply rotate the die halves to have the size you want. Easy and quick to do any of those sizes.

Having used the hand powered hydraulic ones, its a lot of effort. I used battery powered one`s for lugs of 300 square before. That was the business. But mental money to buy those ones.

Edit: Just noticed shamfeen`s link. That is the 6 to 120 square type one. The dies are fixed in the head of it. You simply rotate the die halves to have the size you want, each hex half lining up to meet.

• Advertisement

Bargain!
    with a full die set

extra_happy.gif

RRP here :eek:
    DSC_1431_zpss044koel.jpg

16mm² cross section.

Cwaor it even stamps the CSA onto the lug!

CSA_zpsjkvbfsud.jpg

:cool:

...ahem! nerd.gif

Advertisement