Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Received Final Payment notice despite receiving no previous bills or notices

Options
  • 22-05-2015 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Hi, 

I cancelled my account a few months ago. This was done post-contract. I was very sure of this and made 100% with the agents I spoke to before doing so. If you pull my calls you will here this. Despite this I got an email a few months ago to say there was a bill for €166. I tried to see if I could view the bill online as I couldn't understand why it would be high (expected 40 max). As the account was ceased I was unable to see any details of the bill.  I tried live-chatting with an agent. They were pretty unhelpful and just said it was because I cancelled within contract but they couldn't see all the details. I advised I was 100% confident that I was out of the 18 month contract. There had been a point a few months in where I tried a trial of evision but this was under the understanding that it would not start a new contract. I had this confirmed numerous times on teh account and on the phone. The agent said there was no one working so I would have to ring back the next week. 

I decided I would wait for the bill to come in the post so I could call up and go through the details. The bill never came and I received no further emails about it either. So I presumed they had cleared up the misunderstanding and settled the account. 

Now today in the post I get a letter from a bloody debt collector. It is titled "final notice". This is despite me never receiving a bill in the post and not being able to access the bill online as account was ceased. This is ridiculous. 

I need this cleared up today. I want it escalated and resolved. I can provide account number and contact details by PM but I want a senior escalation person to contact me directly. I am absolutely livid and I do not want to waste my time ringing through and explaining all this over and over again. 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Goolay wrote: »
    Hi, 

I cancelled my account a few months ago. This was done post-contract. I was very sure of this and made 100% with the agents I spoke to before doing so. If you pull my calls you will here this. Despite this I got an email a few months ago to say there was a bill for €166. I tried to see if I could view the bill online as I couldn't understand why it would be high (expected 40 max). As the account was ceased I was unable to see any details of the bill.  I tried live-chatting with an agent. They were pretty unhelpful and just said it was because I cancelled within contract but they couldn't see all the details. I advised I was 100% confident that I was out of the 18 month contract. There had been a point a few months in where I tried a trial of evision but this was under the understanding that it would not start a new contract. I had this confirmed numerous times on teh account and on the phone. The agent said there was no one working so I would have to ring back the next week. 

I decided I would wait for the bill to come in the post so I could call up and go through the details. The bill never came and I received no further emails about it either. So I presumed they had cleared up the misunderstanding and settled the account. 

Now today in the post I get a letter from a bloody debt collector. It is titled "final notice". This is despite me never receiving a bill in the post and not being able to access the bill online as account was ceased. This is ridiculous. 

I need this cleared up today. I want it escalated and resolved. I can provide account number and contact details by PM but I want a senior escalation person to contact me directly. I am absolutely livid and I do not want to waste my time ringing through and explaining all this over and over again. 
    Very sorryt o hear this Goolay

If you would like to PM me your eircom account number I will be happy to look in to this further for you

Cheers
    Al

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Are there no checks before "outstanding amounts" are sent to debt collectors?  

Is there a manager responsible for this step who takes responsibility for the consequences?

This is a very serious step and extremely stressful for those on the receiving end.  Of course there are no consequences for Eircom when they do this type of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Just a quick update to say Alan was able to get this sorted for me on Friday. It was confirmed pretty quickly that I was in the right, and the bill went from  €166 to €16.43!

Would feel pretty bad for anyone who doesn't question their bills though!

Thanks again Alan. 

Just a quick update to say Alan was able to get this sorted for me on Friday. It was confirmed pretty quickly that I was in the right, and the bill went from  €166 to €16.43!

Would feel pretty bad for anyone who doesn't question their bills though!

Thanks again Alan. 
    Yes but if it could be cleared up so quickly why was it ever sent to a debt collector in the first place?

What about "the parent with three young kids" for example who has far more to be doing that negotiating the Eircom switchboard and who doesn't know anything about the existence of boards.ie where Eircom can at least be called out publicly?

I bet you didn't get an explanation from Eircom as to why this ended up with a debit collector or why the documentation wasn't checked properly?

A number of posts beginning to appear in the forum about this:(

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Yeah absolutely - was just thanking Alan directly as he was able to resolve without me having to ring up. 

But yes it's ridculous that I had to receive a threatening letter from a loan agency despite having never received a final bill in the post, without being able to view bill details online and mainly for the fact that I didn't owe the ridiculous amount they were suggesting. 

Now that I think about it, they should really write off the €16.43 as an apology. 

• Advertisement

Yeah absolutely - was just thanking Alan directly as he was able to resolve without me having to ring up. 

But yes it's ridculous that I had to receive a threatening letter from a loan agency despite having never received a final bill in the post, without being able to view bill details online and mainly for the fact that I didn't owe the ridiculous amount they were suggesting. 

Now that I think about it, they should really write off the €16.43 as an apology. 
    Exactly - and that's what I mean about the no consequences bit - a whole pile of accounts can be forwarded wrongly to one of these companies whose function it is to terrorise people and make their lives miserable. Does anyone in Eircom care?

Advertisement