Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thierry Henry on Sky

• 22-05-2015 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭

Where did they dig him up from ? He's almost incomprehensible and dour. Not a good fit for television

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

He is really awful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Where did they dig him up from ?

He is quite a famous former player. Scored a few goals for Arsenal too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

ronjo wrote: »
    He is quite a famous former player. Scored a few goals for Arsenal too.

You'd never think it though. He commentates like he's had a steady job as the designated paint watcher for Dulux.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Corholio wrote: »
    You'd never think it though. He commentates like he's had a steady job as the designated paint watcher for Dulux.

To be honest I havent heard him on Sky as I am living in Central Europe but i did hear he is not the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

he's crap on the telly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I find myself only realising he's talking on like the 6th or 7th word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

hes not good but id rather listen to him then owen or robbie savage

He'd put you to sleep.

He'd be better suited to radio cricket commentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's really poor and adds nothing to the tactical analysis that Jamie and Gary give.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He is awful. When he is rambling on its like a blank spot in the middle of the show, very boring and little interaction or openings for the co-presenters to jump in and have a discussion.

Also, can we please go back to just Neville on the Monday nights, having Carragher there as well has badly diluted what used to be an interesting analysis show. It used to be that Neville had the time to properly dissect an issue, now he just speaks in soundbites so that Carragher has his chance to repeat the same stuff.

The odd bit of "banter" between the two of them is not worth the decrease in quality. Carragher is just redundant there, give him his own show if they want to use him but he has badly lessened the quality of the MNF.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Henry is pretty poor to be honest. Niall Quinn is on par with him too. Neville is by far the best sky have. Carragher Redknapp and Souness are decent and add good insight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I quite like Lee Dixon and would love to see him at sky but I don't think he's "glamorous" enough for them.

Henry just seems very bland.

I find myself not liking Neville as much anymore, I don't like him as a commentator at all now. I also find him at times being quite harsh on United players during games so as to seem like he's not biased or something. It seems like he knows that people have said he's great at doing analysis so he does it even more and over-analyses things now. But least he's still better than Henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Henry probably reads his kids the yellow pages at night. The hi-jinx that must of went on in the Arsenal dressing room eh....pranksters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

rob316 wrote: »
    He's really poor
    He's signed a six-year contract for £24m. !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Corholio wrote: »
    I find myself not liking Neville as much anymore, I don't like him as a commentator at all now. I also find him at times being quite harsh on United players during games so as to seem like he's not biased or something. It seems like he knows that people have said he's great at doing analysis so he does it even more and over-analyses things now. But least he's still better than Henry.

Neville has always been poor in the commentary box. His voice is simply too annoying to have him "commentate" anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

He really is poor at the job, I hope they don't try and shoehorn him in to Monday night football next season.
    Or Friday nights if sky is doing that.

To be fair he was pretty decent at the World Cup (I thought anyway) - a disaster on Sky though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Other than Neville and Carragher to an extent most ex pro's aren't great but Henry has taken it to a new level of bad.

The BBC and ITV have a few but we don't see them every week and so there opinions don't get bland very quick.

Seeing the same guys week in week pretty much saying the same thing and with Sky not wanting to rock the boat with clubs in case they lose access pundits are never really going to be to honest in their opinion.

The best team of pundits on TV is BT's European Football Show team with a good mix of Journo's and 1 or 2 ex pro's but even they won't get on anything to do with PL teams because they aren't glamorous enough names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

When Henry and Redknapp are together on Saturday night football, they analyse the games as if the viewers are a bit simple and have no knowledge of the game.

They were reviewing how teams dealt with Fellaini one week and how Chelsea had Zouma in there to deal with him. They analysed it as if viewers were stupid and made it out as if it was an analysis masterpiece while anyone who's ever watched more than 2 games could see what Chelsea had done.

Watching Neville and Carragher, I feel like I'm learning and seeing things I might not have noticed when watching a game but Redknapp and Henry analysing is almost condescending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Loves Sunderland does Thierry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

jacool wrote: »
    He's signed a six-year contract for £24m. !!

Sky are morons to pay him that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

I'm unusual as a Utd fan in that i like Souness, friends of mine say he's very biased towards Liverpool but i haven't noticed it,even last season when they looked like winning the league and most were fawning all over Liverpool he seemed a lot more grounded and had no problem pointing out flaws in their play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I'm unusual as a Utd fan in that i like Souness, friends of mine say he's very biased towards Liverpool but i haven't noticed it,even last season when they looked like winning the league and most were fawning all over Liverpool he seemed a lot more grounded and had no problem pointing out flaws in their play.

Souness is a terrible analyst and is very biased. Carragher makes some good points but his analysis of Sterling's contract situation was extremely biased and his analysis lacks real rationale. Henry is just shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've seen more emotion in Kenny Cunningham's eyebrows than in Henry.

He's all style, no substance. He sits there, legs astride, in a nice suit while he trots out cliches and pat answers. Basically Sky have forked out £24m for a French Jamie Redknapp.

I find him boring and he looks as if he's not interested. He needs to be more passionate; you might say he needs a bit more va-va-voom. (:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

sky88 wrote: »
    hes not good but id rather listen to him then owen or robbie savage
    I think Michael Owen has improved a lot as a co-commentator. Robbie Savage is one of those guys that you either love or hate. Personally I think he is great.

Henry is way worse than those guys imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Sky are morons to pay him that much.

The recent price increase should help cover it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

He'd be my favourite player to ever play the game but I'm not a fan of his punditry, he seems a bit awkward but I'm sure he'll improve in time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Neville & Carragher have been great together. Henry is one of those guys who was "media coached" to death as a player and has just become incapable of forming any kind of opinion of his own. The guy is as dull as dishwater. I think he's more of a BBC style pundit to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭e.r

He seems to say deh deh deh deh deh deh deh before he makes his point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

It's like the reversal of what he was as a footballer, he's boring as hell as a presenter and just got the gig because he was such a talented player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

His voice is really soothing, Sky should get value for that money and stick him on 1am-3am slot announcing all football scores from around the world and their viewing numbers will increase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Neville has always been poor in the commentary box. His voice is simply too annoying to have him "commentate" anything

Disagree strongly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

More boring then Scholes and that's saying something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

He's especially awkward when trying to be humorous or take the piss with the other guests. It's not his first language so little bits of slagging and humour are lost on him which is only natural I suppose.

It's not his fault sky couldn't see through his name and offered him so much money. He should really forget trying to have the banter like Neville/carragher though and put more focus into saying something interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

When Henry arrived, everyone at Sky was acting as if they had bagged the Second Coming. I couldn't understand it. He always was a dour, mono-voiced, strange individual in after match interviews. His antics after he scored the handball goal for France against Ireland was very odd indeed. He always seemed like too much of an oddball for mainstream television. I had the same feeling when BBC tried to headhunt Paul McGrath for the 2006 World Cup....but he ended up unable to do it because of his personal problems

Bret Hart wrote: »
    More boring then Scholes and that's saying something.

Scholes boring? In voice possibly but opinion certainly not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

When Henry arrived, everyone at Sky was acting as if they had bagged the Second Coming. I couldn't understand it. He always was a dour, mono-voiced, strange individual in after match interviews.

There was talk of a bidding war between BBC and Sky after the World Cup last year to sign Henry up as a pundit
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tv-giants-fight-over-arsenal-4119297
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/world-cup-thierry-henry-captured-3720661

I couldnt understand the appeal of Henry as a pundit ,he was rubbish anytime he was on Sky or the BBC .
    Emperors new clothes syndrome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Genuinely would put Henry down there with Owen and Scholes as the worst of the worst. Pity there wasnt a few more the caliber of Neville and Souness around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sky are paying him £4m a season! That's shocking. No wonder he hung up the boots no club would have matched that.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Genuinely would put Henry down there with Owen and Scholes as the worst of the worst. Pity there wasnt a few more the caliber of Neville and Souness around.

Lou Macari has to be up there as particularly awful - makes me wonder why he watches football at all - he just seems to hate it so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

When Henry arrived, everyone at Sky was acting as if they had bagged the Second Coming.
    Sky overhyping something, surely not? Their understated transfer window closing coverage is a byword for journalistic quality. Surprised they haven't received any Pulitzer's for it.

As for Henry he's terrible like pretty much all of Sky's "Analysis". They are too buddy buddy with managers/players and have too much to lose to actually call things as they are. I watch the two halfs of live coverage and change channel for everything else. I don't want to hear the lies about how it's the best league in the world or how great a manager Sam Allardici is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

As for Henry he's terrible like pretty much all of Sky's "Analysis". They are too buddy buddy with managers/players and have too much to lose to actually call things as they are. I watch the two halfs of live coverage and change channel for everything else. I don't want to hear the lies about how it's the best league in the world or how great a manager Sam Allardici is.

I think Sky's coverage has actually become alot more objective in the last few years.
    Neville and Carragher are reasonably objective ,Jamie Redknapp isnt afraid to put the boot in and has really improved as a pundit and Souness will speak his mind too .

I was shocked to hear Carragher and Redknapp slate Man City and the quality of the Premier league after Barcelona knocked them out of the Champions league .
    I never thought I'd hear that on Sky.

Its still biased coverage but nowhere near as bad as it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Absolute bore to listen to, the one time he made me laugh though was the 'how dare Hernandez celebrate his winning goal, he should have thanked Ronaldo for the assist' crap, this from the guy who celebrated like a madman after caressing the ball with his left palm twice before knocking it to Wiltord for 'that' goal!

Cannot stand the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Absolute bore to listen to, the one time he made me laugh though was the 'how dare Hernandez celebrate his winning goal, he should have thanked Ronaldo for the assist' crap, this from the guy who celebrated like a madman after caressing the ball with his left palm twice before knocking it to Wiltord for 'that' goal!

Cannot stand the guy.

Gallas.

Kirby wrote: »
    Gallas.

My bad, Gallas indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

He's not great I must admit but in fairness he's not speaking his own language. Are there any other sky pundits for whom English isn't their native tongue? No Carragher jokes ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Anyone who thinks Henry is bad should check out Clinton Morrison from Monday night's Soccer Republic.

Anyone who thinks Henry is bad should check out Clinton Morrison from Monday night's Soccer Republic.

So that's where he is these days!

• Advertisement
Advertisement