Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regarding raptors how safe are free flights for Parrots

• 22-05-2015 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm doing research on parrots as maybe one day I might get one. Would anybody have experience letting parrots do Free Flights in Ireland? I am wondering if it's rare enough that they would encounter birds of prey? I'm interested in birds the size of the African Grey or Macaw, so really my query would be about those kinds of birds. I don't see birds of prey here much and when I do they are small ones, kites and hawks.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Never mind raptors, Crows and the like will have a go at any unusual looking bird that takes their fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭soapbloggs

Oh boy, would that be to eat or harass? I'm wondering if a Macaw would be too big for a crow to pester...then again I used to see groups of crows on the continent mobbing birds of prey, though in defense I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

soapbloggs wrote: »
    Oh boy, would that be to eat or harass? I'm wondering if a Macaw would be too big for a crow to pester...then again I used to see groups of crows on the continent mobbing birds of prey, though in defense I'd imagine.
    Groups of crows, are the main problem, a single crow wont touch them but when you get a group of crows together they are like a gang of trouble makers looking for a victim or something to amuse them.

I am not saying you cant free fly them, as i have never tried but you would certainly need to be careful of where you do it and when.

Not too familiar with training birds to free fly but, i would imagine you are always taking a risk doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd be more worried about losing the parrot than predators. There are colonies of parrots in the UK descended from lost pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭soapbloggs

Yes in London they've a healthy population alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Do not free fly its not worth it. Plus the fact that most parrots will hate it. They live in flocks of hundreds in the wild and being made to fly alone is frightening for them. I used to fly my african grey on a harness but I stopped because she didn't like it. Plus the fact that can so easily get lost I know one man who lost his 8 year old congo grey and he was devasted.

I built a huge aviary out the back for my grey and planted trees and everything in it so shes not out in the open and its big enough for her to fly around in if she wants to but she spends most of the time chewing branches and foraging for food I hide around it

Advertisement