Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Kerry Referendum thread

Options
  • 22-05-2015 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭

Kerry North/ West Limerick seems to be one of the constituencies that could swing either way today - Tralee and surrounding areas like Fenit and Blennerville are likely to vote Yes, but Listowel, Castleisland and rural areas are probably Nos, judging by previous referenda. Kerry South would appear more clear-cut as aside from Killarney, the constituency is likely to return one of the higher Munster Nos. What's the feeling on the ground in your locality?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Not long back from voting.
    Smallish queue in our small rural polling station. Women on duty said there had been a steady turnout all day. A lot of younger people too, but overall from what I have been hearing the No vote would be ahead I'd say. I've heard a lot of very vocal older people quoting bishops and priests. I think I've seen 2 Labour posters and about the same from Sinn Fein. In this part of the country the "shy" vote is more likely to be "Yes". A lot of people impressed by the views of Sr Stan, Mickey Ned O'Sullivan and Mary McAleese though, so you never know.
    All done and dusted now - just the count tomorrow -- the last time we'll see the 2 Kerry constituencies before they become just one at the next General Election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Tallies:

North Kerry: Yes 55.8%, No 44.2%

South Kerry tally is a bit lower for Yes side but still a yes (no official tally though)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Tallies:

North Kerry: Yes 55.8%, No 44.2%

South Kerry tally is a bit lower for Yes side but still a yes (no official tally though)

Tally sheets in today's Kerryman (complete for KNWL, sketchy for Kerry South). One of the biggest surprises was that Fenit had one of the highest Yes votes in the country at 84%, there is a traditionally strong left vote there, but I'd hardly have thought it more liberal than the Kerry average. Dingle's leaning may be due to its cosmopolitan population, while Pat Carey seems to have swung Milltown-Castlemaine. Brosna, Moyvane, Gneeveguilla and Glencar were the few boxes with No majorities, but none by a huge margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Yes - saw those tallies in the Kerryman - pity they are so poor for Kerry South but KyN-LkW is very interesting.
    If anyone had told me that Abbeyfeale would vote Yes - even narrowly - I'd hardly have believed it. Listowel had a very high Yes too -- the influence of Deenihan, Ferris and even perhaps Billy Keane (?) has to be a factor.
    In Kerry S I'd expect some areas like Dunquin to have a more liberal tint but remember that all of the west Kerry boxes had a strong SF vote in the last local election. The scale of the vote in places like Cloghane is a surprise but I was struck by how many people kept referring to the ideals of a republic, equality etc and made a clear distinction between religious and civil marriage. (Not to mention quite a few women who said they had gay grandsons, sons etc -- never underestimate the Irish Mammy!)

Thanks to all who did the tallies though -- great reading for the election nerds like myself.

Advertisement