Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Austin.

Options
  • 22-05-2015 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I am being sent to Austin for a week with work in the middle of July and just wondering where should I go explore and experience? I have the option of taking off days after and just using my holidays so I might do that too and travel around perhaps.

Hopefully I will have my full license by then so I can rent a car but either way I suppose there is public transport.

The only thing that I don't fancy in any way is 40 degree heat :eek:

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭larry1

Hey guys,

I am being sent to Austin for a week with work in the middle of July and just wondering where should I go explore and experience? I have the option of taking off days after and just using my holidays so I might do that too and travel around perhaps.

Hopefully I will have my full license by then so I can rent a car but either way I suppose there is public transport.

The only thing that I don't fancy in any way is 40 degree heat :eek:

Thanks.

You''ll defo need a car! Lake Travis zip lining is well worth a day trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Bad assumption. You will need a car every day and for every type of activity. I was on a work assignment there several years ago. Downtown Austin has footpaths (sidewalks) but there are none in the suburbs. Every time I had to go the 100m to my local 7-11 to buy a pint of milk, I had to drive as the walking option would have involved either walking through private lawns (which came right down to the road's edge) and risk being shot by a card-carrying member of the NRA or walk on the road and compete with the traffic.

I was there from mid-July to the end of August, you're looking at 40 C every day - a dry blistering heat which burns your lungs unless you only take short, slow breaths. When you sit in the car after it's been parked for a few hours and go to put on your seatbelt, the metal buckle will feel like it's on fire when you grab it.

In Texas only poor people use public transport - what little of it there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

coylemj wrote: »
    Bad assumption. You will need a car every day and for every type of activity. I was on a work assignment there several years ago. Downtown Austin has footpaths (sidewalks) but there are none in the suburbs. Every time I had to go the 100m to my local 7-11 to buy a pint of milk, I had to drive as the walking option would have involved either walking through private lawns (which came right down to the road's edge) and risk being shot by a card-carrying member of the NRA or walk on the road and compete with the traffic.

I was there from mid-July to the end of August, you're looking at 40 C every day - a dry blistering heat which burns your lungs unless you only take short, slow breaths. When you sit in the car after it's been parked for a few hours and go to put on your seatbelt, the metal buckle will feel like it's on fire when you grab it.

In Texas only poor people use public transport - what little of it there is.

Very much agree.

Never ever assume a US city has adequate public transport, its extremely rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭barry181091

Thanks all - unfortunately the car thing won't be an option unless I can some how get one with my provisional license. I just won't be able to get a full license in time. Otherwise it will have to be taxi's everywhere. :(

I am also thinking of going to San Francisco for the week after as it will cost me virtually nothing apart from the holiday days. I imagine public transport there is much better. Again I am probably wrong :o

I am also thinking of going to San Francisco for the week after as it will cost me virtually nothing apart from the holiday days. I imagine public transport there is much better.

Good idea. Its a pretty city. San Fransisco is built at the tip of a penninsula so there's no room for the usual american spread out sprawl so its compact/small. You can walk across it in a few hours. A week is a long time though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Thanks all - unfortunately the car thing won't be an option unless I can some how get one with my provisional license. I just won't be able to get a full license in time. Otherwise it will have to be taxi's everywhere. :(

I am also thinking of going to San Francisco for the week after as it will cost me virtually nothing apart from the holiday days. I imagine public transport there is much better. Again I am probably wrong :o

really walkable city. I don't use my car unless I am leaving the city. It is actually 7 miles x 7 miles and there is a fairly good bus and streetcar network. The antique trams are good if you happen to live on their lines- but they are mostly for tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Was in Austin last year. City centre isn't too big and we walked everywhere. My friend who lived there did have a car but we were able to take the bus from his apartment right on the South of the city into the centre each day. Also caught the nightbus home a few times. There's a tram that runs west to east but we never took it. The locals all hate it because the route is of no use to most residents apparently. Great city if you like drinking and live music. Agree you'll definitely need a car if you want to go anywhere but the city centre.

Was in Austin last year. City centre isn't too big and we walked everywhere. My friend who lived there did have a car but we were able to take the bus from his apartment right on the South of the city into the centre each day. Also caught the nightbus home a few times. There's a tram that runs west to east but we never took it. The locals all hate it because the route is of no use to most residents apparently. Great city if you like drinking and live music. Agree you'll definitely need a car if you want to go anywhere but the city centre.

That's the answer I wanted to hear ;) Ah, sure I will just get taxis everywhere really.

Yeah...SF is expensive for accommodation! Even hostels. I could always go somewhere else in the US. The likes of NY doesn't really appeal to me, perhaps there are hidden gems around the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That's the answer I wanted to hear ;) Ah, sure I will just get taxis everywhere really.

Austin is probably doable for a week or two with no car but I'd advise you to tell the people you'll be working with that you will not have a car so that they put you in a downtown hotel. If they put you in a hotel in the suburbs, you will be very isolated in the evenings.

The likes of NY doesn't really appeal to me, perhaps there are hidden gems around the country...

New Orleans. An amazing city, very unique and different from other US cities.

Its close (400 miles?) to Austin too.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    Austin is probably doable for a week or two with no car but I'd advise you to tell the people you'll be working with that you will not have a car so that they put you in a downtown hotel. If they put you in a hotel in the suburbs, you will be very isolated in the evenings.

Download Uber and set it up with your Credit card. It's cheaper than taxis and you'll never be waiting for a ride. I used it when I was in Austin for SxSW tech conference and it was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Download Uber and set it up with your Credit card. It's cheaper than taxis and you'll never be waiting for a ride. I used it when I was in Austin for SxSW tech conference and it was perfect.

That's right. You don't call a cab, you Uber.

Instead of creating a junk new thread, just thought I would post here.

I am going to Austin via London, so do I do Immigration/Customs in Dublin or Austin? I presume its no more strict in Austin compared to Dublin? As I have never been to the US, its all new.

Instead of creating a junk new thread, just thought I would post here.

I am going to Austin via London, so do I do Immigration/Customs in Dublin or Austin? I presume its no more strict in Austin compared to Dublin? As I have never been to the US, its all new.

You do it in Austin. You're correct, they are no more or less strict anywhere. They have laws/guidelines they need to follow and that's it.

They'll take your passport, scan it and ask you a couple of questions. They will will then take your photo and fingerprints, stamp your passport and you'll be through.

Be clear that you are there for "business" and not to work (ie visiting colleagues etc). The other thing is only answer the question you're asked. All they want is direct and honest answers. Don't waffle. I remember a few years back, an Irish guy went through the booth next to me, slammed his elbows on the desk and shouted "how are ya, boss". At the official....don't be that guy and you'll be fine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Thanks all - unfortunately the car thing won't be an option unless I can some how get one with my provisional license. I just won't be able to get a full license in time.

Aside from the full license, be aware that you usually have to be over 25 to rent a car too. (I know it's not relevant to you at this point, just raising the issue for anyone else who reads this thread later).

Also, hows the queues in DA this weather? Have a flight at 9 (To London that is) but really dont want to have to arrive at 6 :p I wish they gave rough waiting times on their website.

Advertisement