Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subway charging extra if you use debit card

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

rubadub wrote: »
    I don't see them holding up much, in most shops its the coin counters who take longer.

I do think there should be a surcharge though, I like to pay my own way and not have others subsidise it. Some are calling the shops stingy, but I think it stingy to expect others to pay for you.

In other threads people have said that cash payments also cost a shop to process, so the surcharge should really be the difference in that, it could also be a discount, I have no problem which way it goes. If the difference is minute it is probably not worth the bother though.

Getting change is 2.45% for us its such a sickener and then of course you pay to lodge cash too (0.45% + 0.35c per lodgement).

Its hard to work out the cost difference but it would basically be people paying with coin would get a small discount paying with €5/€10 no discount €20 a small charge and €50 the full cash deposit charge it would obviously get very confusing as each domination has a different value depending on how likely it is you can then give that on to another customer as change and not have to lodge it. I rarely lodge €5 or €10 notes it tends to balance itself out quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

well first of all you have to find the card because they dont seem to realise that they need to take their card out until they have been told the total amount. Though to be honest the same people who cause delays using cards would probably cause the same delays using cash

This is very true. There's also an issue in a lot of stores where they have pitiful processing times. I know of a number of Centra stores who still don't have contactless terminals! It takes them about 45 seconds to process a card payment! It's not really an issue when it's younger people you are dealing with but when older people are trying to use self service checkouts and credit card terminals that's when the frustrations begin!

Subway are fully within their rights to pass the processing costs onto the consumer. Use cash for a €7 sandwich if you don't like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

I'm one of those people who was very slow at the till, still am bagging groceries, but the whole debit card thing has at least cut out my fumbling and mumbling with change

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

This is very true. There's also an issue in a lot of stores where they have pitiful processing times. I know of a number of Centra stores who still don't have contactless terminals! It takes them about 45 seconds to process a card payment! It's not really an issue when it's younger people you are dealing with but when older people are trying to use self service checkouts and credit card terminals that's when the frustrations begin!

Subway are fully within their rights to pass the processing costs onto the consumer. Use cash for a €7 sandwich if you don't like it.

Or go to a subway that doesn't charge for using cards. I often do not have cash on me. The Subway near Parnell Place in Cork do not charge and have contact less payment. Faster then using cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Flaccus wrote: »
    Or go to a subway that doesn't charge for using cards. I often do not have cash on me. The Subway near Parnell Place in Cork do not charge and have contact less payment. Faster then using cash.

All retail outlets charge the customer for the use of a card, either as a specific "extra" charge, or it is hidden in the price, but either way you do pay it. One might argue that making it a separate charge does allow one to avoid it by paying cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

I asked the Banking and Payments Federation of Ireland (new name for IPSO) about this a few months ago.

They said that retailers are obliged to accept all cards under the brands they have signed up for - Visa, Mastercard, etc. - and that requiring a minimum transaction limit or charging a fee means the retailer is a breach of their terms and conditions.

BPFI has no regulatory/enforcement powers but are apparently trying to address it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

if they ever did enforce it you would see some small shops go cash only or remove product and services like newspapers, lotto or €5 phone top-ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Pro consumer anti business law. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,036 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pretty much all consumer protections can be seen as that from the businesses side.

Cash handling costs and risks cost a lot more than people seem to realise, even business owners at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The Visa agreement is not law, it's a simple service contract. If, as a business, you want to accept card payments (and benefit from a wider customer base/reduce cash handling costs) then you either accept the terms of the service or you don't sign up.

• Advertisement

All retail outlets charge the customer for the use of a card, either as a specific "extra" charge, or it is hidden in the price, but either way you do pay it. One might argue that making it a separate charge does allow one to avoid it by paying cash.

A meatball marinara footlong with drink was 5 euro in Subway Cork Parnell Place....whether you pay cash or card

Same sub in Cruises St. Limerck was 5 euro cash, or 5 euro + charge if you use card.

Therefore the outfit in Cork do not have a charge hidden or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

A meatball marinara footlong with drink was 5 euro in Subway Cork Parnell Place....whether you pay cash or card

Same sub in Cruises St. Limerck was 5 euro cash, or 5 euro + charge if you use card.

Therefore the outfit in Cork do not have a charge hidden or otherwise.

And the Rent/Rates etc are the same for both units?

Either they change the customer (hidden or not) or it comes out of their profit margin.

And the Rent/Rates etc are the same for both units?

Either they change the customer (hidden or not) or it comes out of their profit margin.

Well you originally said "All retail outlets charge the customer for the use of a card, either as a specific "extra" charge, or it is hidden in the price, but either way you do pay it"

Now you have qualified this statement further with "or it comes out of their profit margin"

I could not care less about their rents or profit margins. The Subway franchises in Ireland I give my custom to charge the same price for a sub or at least the sub's that I like. I am making the point that one subway charges extra if you use a card, and the other one a couple hundred yards away does not. Therefore the one that does charge for using a card does not have a specific "extra" charge and neither is it hidden in the price. Therefore I choose to make my purchase in the one that does not charge for using a card.

Reminds me of the guy I used know who says the veg you get on a sub is not free as it's factored into the price. He never gets veg in his sub and claims he is subsidizing those that do get it, so his sub should be cheaper. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Subway franchises in Ireland charge the same price for a sub.

Not all Subways charge the same FWIW. Some add €2 to go for foot long, some add €2.20

Sorry to interrupt on the card charging...

Dodge wrote: »
    Not all Subways charge the same FWIW. Some add €2 to go for foot long, some add €2.20

Didn't know that. I should therefore edit my statement to say the subways I visit charge the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Dodge wrote: »

This is against their franchise agreement btw, They are bound to advertise uniform prices. I had to report a store that did this before after not mentioning it til the last second when the sandwich was already made and then got angry at me for refusing to pay. I got all the apologies in the world from corporate and a book of vouchers for free subs (Was about 10 of them if I recall correctly, some were for 6 inch, others footlongs)

I would not have reported them if the teller had not acted they way they did.

Advertisement