Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you buy your parts?

Options
  • 22-05-2015 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Where did you guys order your parts from an what was the experience like?

I want to order everything from one place to save on the delivery charges and so far Amazon UK look like the best option because they have a wide selection of parts and the prices seem to be ok.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/

Bit of a wreck-the-head with how they accept payment but got all my parts in one go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

azerty.nl, but i always check www.tweakers.net/pricewatch to see where I can get it cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Amazon.co.uk and Overclockers.co.uk are my normal pit stops. Don't mind paying their slightly higher prices as their RMA and customer service is top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Same as above.
    Recently had issues with graphics card bought with overclockers. Week after had a brand new one sent home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I normally go to Amazon.co.uk and Scan.co.uk. I very occasionally venture onto overclockers.co.uk but I've found their prices to be higher than everyone else's, and even their "sale/weekly special" prices are not great and easily beaten with a rudimentary look on other retailers at "normal" prices. I've had a surprise in discovering that BT.com (as in British Telecom) sometimes have prices on graphics cards (another surprise ... ) that beat most others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

OcUK & Amazon for me. Scan the odd time as well

I never understood the love for HWVS. I would rather pay a bit more for a stellar aftersales service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I avoid HWV as well, not worth saving a few quid only to have to face a pretty bad aftersales service if anyone goes wrong - learnt the same with Pixmania.

I buy stuff from Amazon and Dabs occasionally, but mostly second hand on adverts or ebay, very rarely buy new parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Amazon and HWVS

Amazon for single items, hwvs for larger orders.

I've had fairly good luck with parts, and never had a communications problem with hwvs either so I'm not too bothered by their after sales support

• Registered Users Posts: 3 art777

Hey guys, another question. If I was to buy from Amazon, the price they show includes all sorts of taxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭N64

For all European Amazon sites, the price you see at checkout is the final price you pay. There will be no nasty surprises with added taxes upon delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I'm looking at buying a case, mobo and processor from Amazon.de. It's telling me that the seller of the motherboard does not ship to Ireland though. Is there any way around this or am I as well off to just get the motherboard from somewhere else? My order has fallen through with HWVS twice now so I'm just giving up on them

• Registered Users Posts: 3 art777

I ordered from Amazon UK and some of the parts were only delivered to the UK. I just picked the same item but from another seller on Amazon.

I think when you are searching for an item, Amazon offers you the seller with the best price and sometimes they dont ship internationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Use parcel motel if they won't ship Irish.

I'd say the best seller, all in is Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I use Elara if I need something fast cos I can collect from their warehouse nearby, bit more expensive though. Have used Dabs before but they messed up badly so they are off the list. Use Amazon,Scan and Overclockers for most other things but the weak Euro is a pain in the hole. Use MemoryC for small bits. No love for HWVS from me either, just seems like far too much hassle/stress if you need to contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CodexVII

I used HWVS as well but they've been nothing but trouble so far. Case arrived but my other package with €800 worth of components is still sitting somewhere in their warehouse and not picked up by UPS. I really hope it gets sorted out by the end of the week.

I think I'm just unlucky though since everyone else seems to have no trouble with them. But sending one package and forgetting to ship the other, that's really troublesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

CodexVII wrote: »
    I used HWVS as well but they've been nothing but trouble so far. Case arrived but my other package with €800 worth of components is still sitting somewhere in their warehouse and not picked up by UPS. I really hope it gets sorted out by the end of the week.

I think I'm just unlucky though since everyone else seems to have no trouble with them. But sending one package and forgetting to ship the other, that's really troublesome.
    it was holiday in western europe.., sunday + monday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Lemming wrote: »
    I normally go to Amazon.co.uk and Scan.co.uk. I very occasionally venture onto overclockers.co.uk but I've found their prices to be higher than everyone else's, and even their "sale/weekly special" prices are not great and easily beaten with a rudimentary look on other retailers at "normal" prices. I've had a surprise in discovering that BT.com (as in British Telecom) sometimes have prices on graphics cards (another surprise ... ) that beat most others.

OverclockersUK will price match other UK retailers if you call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CodexVII

Asmooh wrote: »
    it was holiday in western europe.., sunday + monday

One of my packages still arrived on Monday. I was saying that they forgot to ship my second package last Wednesday (Which they did). I gave them a call this morning and it's just been picked up by UPS now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

OverclockersUK will price match other UK retailers if you call them.

Or I can just go use the other retailers and not go through the added extra hassle of showing O/C that their prices are higher than most everyone elses as standara and can they please match so I can buy just from them.

Seriously, when their "specials" are normal price on other sites, there's something amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Lemming wrote: »
    Or I can just go use the other retailers and not go through the added extra hassle of showing O/C that their prices are higher than most everyone elses as standara and can they please match so I can buy just from them.

Seriously, when their "specials" are normal price on other sites, there's something amiss.
    Overclockers are one of thr cheaper UK retailers... what are you talking about? Not to mention their customer service is top notch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't get it either, pretty much every time I look at their prices they're higher than other retailers. Never bought off them once - not because I've anything against them but I genuinely find their prices mediocre.

I wouldn't bother having to call them to have a price matched when I can just buy it directly from another website with a click!

Advertisement