Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re.Store coffee prices

• 22-05-2015 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been in new Topaz rebranded "Re.Store" garages and seen prices of the coffee. Its crazy! theyve 4 or 5 different sizes.

I know its a convenience store. But garage coffee should 2e, 2.50 tops for a large. their large coffees are over 3e. (I dont know why Im ranting without facts, I'll get exact prices next time Im in)

Its not even that good a coffee.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The small tea is €2.00 and it is Y U C K

but it is a petrol station where they make profit on what the shop sells - not the forecourt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Has anyone been in new Topaz rebranded "Re.Store" garages and seen prices of the coffee. Its crazy! theyve 4 or 5 different sizes.

I know its a convenience store. But garage coffee should 2e, 2.50 tops for a large. their large coffees are over 3e. (I dont know why Im ranting without facts, I'll get exact prices next time Im in)

Its not even that good a coffee.

Why "should it be" €2?

Its a free market. They offer coffee at a price. You are free to accept that price or buy it elsewhere. But on another note, how do you think they are paying for all this rebranding? They just recoup the costs from you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

snubbleste wrote: »
    The small tea is €2.00 and it is Y U C K

but it is a petrol station where they make profit on what the shop sells - not the forecourt

Thats a total myth, they make a good deal of money from fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭doublej

Especially the company owned,company operated outlets as the company retails fuel AND wholesales it to itself, a double margin contribution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

A fuel station is a convenience store and is priced accordingly.

I love my coffee. Probably a bit of a coffee snob tbf and picky about where I buy coffee where possible.

That said out of necessity for caffeine early on a Monday morning I've been know to fill the car and pick up a coffee.

€2.50 isn't an out of this world price and thankfully most decent fuel stations have a machine that's capable of making an average/drinkable cup of coffee, again in particular for say 7am on a Monday morning in a rush to a meeting.

What does annoy me though is going into a coffee shop, paying the same price and getting served muck. No excuse for this and it happens a lot hence I cherry pick where I go these days or drink tea for fear of the coffee if be served.

Thankfully on the flip side check out the likes of 3fe for a proper coffee. People who love, understand and enjoy the process to amazing coffee.

Fresh and large variety of beans brewed by professional baristas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

doublej wrote: »
    Especially the company owned,company operated outlets as the company retails fuel AND wholesales it to itself, a double margin contribution

about 8c-10c a litre in total between retail and distribution - yes, its profitable, but tiny compared to what they can make on the forecourt. Basically on a €50 fuel sale, the gross profit before any costs at all are taken into account is €2.80 - €3.50

On a sandwich and coffee costing €6, the profit before costs would be higher thn that - though costs in the food area would be higher than fuel.

I saw their new coffee prices at abbeyleix and haven't been back there - sorry, but starbuck prices on a fuel forecourt froma self service machine? No thanks!

I love Costa Coffee, but cannot stand it out if the machines in the Esso garages. Absolutely hate the stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ktc99

delahuntv wrote: »
    about 8c-10c a litre in total between retail and distribution - yes, its profitable, but tiny compared to what they can make on the forecourt. Basically on a €50 fuel sale, the gross profit before any costs at all are taken into account is €2.80 - €3.50

Actually more around €1.20-1.25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ktc99

delahuntv wrote: »

Well actually you're right if it is company owned and operated! I was just taking into account privately owned. Sorry about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 uki

Yes totally agree. The coffee is not even fresh. It comes from a flask.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭rabjoshu

Some push-button coffee machines are turning over a staggering €1m-a-year each for busy service stations.
    Vast profits are being made by selling the commodity coffee and charging €2.70 for it.
    A €1m a year push-button machine would make €900,000 profit before staff costs were taken into account. "It's insane - that's just a push-button espresso machine. It's commodity-grade coffee."
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/pushbutton-coffee-machines-making-1m-a-year-in-busy-service-stations-35522611.html
    :eek: :eek: I'm in the wrong business

• Site Banned Posts: 129 ✭✭nosilver

rabjoshu wrote: »
    :eek: :eek: I'm in the wrong business

Some guy "guesses" that some stations have €1m turnover from a machine based on nothing except that he sells coffee too.

Indo turns the guess into a fact

That is what you call fake news.

At €1m a year on one coffee machine you'd have queues forming. Say 2.50 a coffee, that would be 400,000 cups, 1100 a day every day of the year. Even taking that the machine is going 24/7, that's a cup every 1.3 minutes, 24hours a day, 7 days a week, every week. Basic deduction which independent.ie never does, would immediately tell you this is bull.

nosilver wrote: »
    Some guy "guesses" that some stations have €1m turnover from a machine based on nothing except that he sells coffee too.

Indo turns the guess into a fact

That is what you call fake news.

At €1m a year on one coffee machine you'd have queues forming. Say 2.50 a coffee, that would be 400,000 cups, 1100 a day every day of the year. Even taking that the machine is going 24/7, that's a cup every 1.3 minutes, 24hours a day, 7 days a week, every week. Basic deduction which independent.ie never does, would immediately tell you this is bull.

Not to mention the OP deciding that a coffee "should cost"
    Has no idea of overheads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Back to paying €11.80 for a coffee and a croissant now that the BOOM is back ... who likes a f*cking Boom ???

Sure your wages go up by 15% ... but the cost of living goes up 80% .... rent goes up 300% ....

I mean just **** off economy and crash again please!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Re-store medium cappucino is €3.40, got one on Sunday and was shocked at the price. Had a look for a price list and couldnt find one on display in the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Heard this guy interviewed on Newstalk some time ago, talking about the business of putting Coffee 'Machines' into petrol stations, once the model is cracked it is highly profitable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0857192507/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_66?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

"Martyn Dawes is a successful entrepreneur. He founded his first business, MDA (Martyn Dawes Associates) in the recession of 1991. That business continues to trade successfully to this day (now called Dawes Ryan Consulting). His idea for Coffee Nation came from a combination of seeing how many cups of coffee were being sold in convenience stores in New York and reading about the business model of a photocopier company. Four years later, after proving the concept, he raised £4 million in development capital from a London-based private equity firm. Coffee Nation grew fast and secured long-term contracts with major retailers including Tesco, Sainsbury, Esso, Moto, Welcome Break and Somerfield. In 2008 the company was sold for £23m, returning investors four times their money and was sold again finally to Whitbread/Costa in 2011 for almost £60m. Martyn and Coffee Nation have won numerous awards..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

nosilver wrote: »
    It is not clear that the coffee seller said anything about a €1m turnover from a single machine. There is nothing with actual quote marks to suggest that.
    Coffee expert Colin Harmon estimates a €1m a year push-button machine would make €900,000 profit before staff costs were taken into account. "It's insane - that's just a push-button espresso machine. It's commodity-grade coffee.

Mr Harmon, owner of the 3FE speciality cafe in Dublin, said: "A bog-standard cup of coffee out of a petrol station will cost you about €2.75. We source some of the best coffees in the world so our base price is about €3.50 and we still make a profit."
    The actual quoted bits are fine. For all we know he said a machine takes about 90% profit. Which was then turned into a bogus number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,740 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Harmon said it on RTE 1 8.30pm last night.

Advertisement