Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killester - What's it like to live in?

Options
  • 22-05-2015 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

My family is currently considering buying in Killester. I'm just wondering how safe it is, what amenities are there. Is it more a place for older OAPs live or young families and students live. What are the transports facilities like ? I know it has a DART station but what is it like During peak hours.

We currently live in Baldoyle, so I'd like to know if it's similar.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,736 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No experience living there but have travelled through it on the DART at peak times, you pretty much will not get a seat on it at all before about 9am, standing room will even be at a premium. There are some trains where the Howth or Malahide will be running close to each other, if you can time which one is directly behind that would be your best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

My family is currently considering buying in Killester. I'm just wondering how safe it is, what amenities are there. Is it more a place for older OAPs live or young families and students live. What are the transports facilities like ? I know it has a DART station but what is it like During peak hours.

Thanks

Living here for a year and a half now so pm any questions you have. Transport is good, got the dart and 5 or 6 bus routes into town, generally a quiet area, would say a fairly mature age range?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I haven't lived there but my sister and some friends have. I really like the area, it does that a lot of older people but at the same time young families as well. There are a good few nice parks beside you near the sea and quite a safe area near town. I think it would be a nice overall location. Very safe mostly settled estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Lived there for 2 years. Very quiet and settled area, I'd consider it a very safe area, good transport links. Excellent supervalu, also few shops and boi branch. Wasn't much in way of pubs when i lived there. The beachcomber which was just okay and the ramble Inn which looked a bit dodge from the outside! Close to town, malahide road, saint Anne's park and clontarf. Great area to buy I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

I grew up in Killester- if you want to PM about a specific are or questions feel free.

It's a great area to live and would go back there in a heart beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Great area to live in from my view. Some good points:
    • St Annes Park (My favorite park in Dublin)
    • Clontarf Seafront (Great for a walk/run)
    • Transport into city (DART/Bus both easy)
    • Harry Byrnes (Best pub in Dublin IMO)
    • Coffee at the Nuthouse
    • Dollymount Strand/Howth/Malahide all quick spin away
    • Great SuperValu in the village

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

It's safe and settled, OP. I lived there for 6 months and grew up relatively close to there too. If you're on the young side, it could be perceived to be a bit boring (I'd zero interest in any of the local pubs save for the odd few pints), but it's well serviced by local transport - the DART being particularly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

Thanks

I live in Killester, have a young family. We feel extremely safe, the people around us are incredibly nice. As for amenities, name it and its there or close by. Its a mix of ages, very settled. The dart is busy in the morning but it's a short journey to town. Busses same.in the evening its less busy. Harry Byrnes, Beachcomber, goblet and rambler are grand for a drink with varying clientele but always enjoyable I find. Some nice takeaways and restaurants around too. We have absolutely no regrets buying in Killester and are delighted to be here. Good luck with your decision

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Stream

Hi,
    We're also looking at the Killester area. Can anyone comment on how good the schools are in the surrounding area and which schools are in the Killester catchment area (apart from St Brigids and St Marys Holy faith which I presume are given they are in Killester)?

Primary
    St Brigids Killester (Boys and Girls)
    Belgrove Clontarf (Boys and Girls)

Secondary
    St Pauls Raheny (boys)
    St Fintans Sutton (boys)
    St. Josephs Fairview (boys)
    St Mary's Holy Faith Killester (Girls)
    Holy Faith Clontarf (Girls)
    Manor House Raheny (Girls)

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    S

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

belgrove is an excellant school, hard to get into as far as I am aware. I went to Manor house myself and so did my sister. Its a good school. My brother when to St Pauls got on grand there too

• Advertisement
Advertisement