Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kerry blue breeders

• 22-05-2015 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I'm looking to get a Kerry blue terrier for my dad... I'm looking for breeders in the Munster region... I'm from limerick myself...

All help would be appreciated... It's proving difficult to find breeders of this dog done here...

I'm hoping to buy one after the summer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Try the breed club

http://http://www.ikc.ie/dublin-irish-blue-terrier-club

However you may have to travel beyond Munster for a quality dog from a reputable breeder & go on a waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pat potter

I have contacted the women on that link all ready just waiting for a reply...

I have got in contact with the Ulster kerry blue kennel club... that have two breeders with pups now, but I'm not in a position to take one.

I just assumed that a dog that originated from kerry would have breeders from the region...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

My father is a kerry blue man, has bread them for over 30 years now and has had many a champion dog. no pups at the moment but i could ask him if he knows anyone with some.

Be careful where you get one, there are some very sorry looking kerrys around the place

Ya if you get a chance I'd appreciate it.... well I'm going to buy dogs with papers... are you safe once you have papers?? Or are there dodgy Kerry's with papers?

Is it easy to tell how a pup will turn out? My dad's birthday is October, so if a bitch was just getting covered now pups would probably be ready around October which would suit perfect!

But I'll see, there are dogs up the north from champion show dogs.... but there hitting the £650-£700 Mark which is nearly 1000 euro which is over twice or budget...

Don't need a show dog... just a proper kerry blue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

pat potter wrote: »
    Ya if you get a chance I'd appreciate it.... well I'm going to buy dogs with papers... are you safe once you have papers?? Or are there dodgy Kerry's with papers?

Is it easy to tell how a pup will turn out? My dad's birthday is October, so if a bitch was just getting covered now pups would probably be ready around October which would suit perfect!

But I'll see, there are dogs up the north from champion show dogs.... but there hitting the £650-£700 Mark which is nearly 1000 euro which is over twice or budget...

Don't need a show dog... just a proper kerry blue

I'll see him over the weekend so I'll ask the question. I know my das dogs sell for around the €1,000 mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

You need to up your budget a bit to get a quality dog from a reputable breeder. It costs a lot of money to rear quality dogs, pay Stud fees, health test etc. Also there might be a waiting list too. Show Dogs are proper Kerry Blues btw.

Sorry I know there proper dogs that are on show...
    What I meant is like any dog you can buy dogs that are show dogs, and dogs that aren't used for show dogs... show dogs will always cost more... Because of the care and effort put in.... and careful breeding.

I just meant I want a Kerry blue from a proper breeder... It dosent have to be a from a show dog... Its dad dosent have to best in class...

Sorry if I caused offence...

I'll let the mother and sister know about the cost, See what there willing to spend!!

Thanks for the help so far by the way!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

With the likes of a Kerry Blue I'd only buy from someone who shows them, show breeders don't strictly breed show-only puppies, they might see potential in some from their litter and the rest get sold as pets. People who show their breed(s) of choice are generally very passionate about that breed and have the best example of them, which I think is an important step in finding the right puppy.

It's not uncommon for Kerry Blue's to be prone to dog aggression, so I would believe it would make it all the more important to get one from the right person.

For example when it comes to my breed of choice, there's a very close knit group of people who breed and show them, they all know each other and work with each other. Now, the same breed for sale online in this country looks almost like a totally different dog, and are most likely mentally quite a different dog even though they have all the physical characteristics of being the breed, but they simply do not look right.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Advertisement