Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearing immigration when departing the USA...?

Options
  • 22-05-2015 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

I just left the States recently via a small US Regional airport with a transit through a large airport and an eventual departure from JFK but never went through any sort of immigration desk in any of the three airports. I had to scan my passport at the first small regional airport as part of the check in process but nobody looked at it after that and I never got a stamp or anything.
    How will they know that I left the country before the end of the 90 days allowed on an ESTA...?
    Is this the normal procedure now...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

There has never been any outgoing immigration in the US in my travels, which is kind of odd when you think about it.
    You probably entered information on our airline booking and if you travelled on those dates, then well and good.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Emsloe

ardmacha wrote: »
    There has never been any outgoing immigration in the US in my travels, which is kind of odd when you think about it.
    You probably entered information on our airline booking and if you travelled on those dates, then well and good.

They used to retain the little green card back in the day didn't they? The one you stapled into your passport on your way over. I still have the remnants in my old passports.

OP there are no formalities to worry about when leaving the US, all went as it should for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Emsloe wrote: »
    They used to retain the little green card back in the day didn't they? The one you stapled into your passport on your way over. I still have the remnants in my old passports.

+1 The airline check-in clerk used to remove the green stub from your passport when you were coming home and if they forgot and it was still there when you got home, there was an address in Kansas or Kentucky you could post it to (with proof that you had left the US) in order to avoid complications the next time you visited the US but those days are long gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

The airlines pass your International departure details on to the correct department about a day after you left the country. You can actually log in to see it here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Perfect, thanks for that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement