Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Odd behaviour In cat

• 22-05-2015 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

My cat has become extremely distant, anyone know why? he had kittens in march all healthy and homed, except for one we though we would keep as company for her. she used to cuddle me and head n=bnt me but now if i was in her direction she runs and hides. Also next door had a pup and she is forever teasing the dag and starting fights. She has the whole garden but will sit as close to where the pup is just to annoy her.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

You did something that came across to her as scary or upsetting. You may not even know you did it; it could have been a loud noise at the wrong time or moving her litter box. In any case, if she was a loving, trusting cat before, she can be again. You will have to "tell" her everything's OK and communicate your wish to be friends again. Try sitting quietly in the same room without approaching her. Catch her eye (which should not be difficult since she'll probably be watching you) and blink at her very slowly. Don't stare; cats see that as hostility. Just throw her "eye kisses" from time to time until she responds by blinking back. It also helps to talk quietly (without looking at her) about how you are sorry for upsetting her and how much you want to be friends again. Keep a couple of treats or some catnip around so you can give her a good feeling without putting your hands on her until she solicits touching again. It'll work out OK if you're patient and kind. She should stop taking out so much frustration on the dog, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Sadly she is no longer with us. She went out in may and never returned. I beleve she felt threatened by her tomcat son

I'm so sorry for your loss, Tony. I just noticed the date on your original post, too, my apologies. If you have cat questions in the future, you can absolutely do no better than to consult the Way of Cats Blog; the owner is a genius with cats. I can't post the full URL because I am new to the forums, but a quick Google will get you there.

Speedwell wrote: »
    I'm so sorry for your loss, Tony. I just noticed the date on your original post, too, my apologies. If you have cat questions in the future, you can absolutely do no better than to consult the Way of Cats Blog; the owner is a genius with cats. I can't post the full URL because I am new to the forums, but a quick Google will get you there.

I still have the son. He is 6 monts old and still a baby. He plays with me but will not allow too much affection for some odd reason.the affection is given to me only wheb he wabts to give it. Is that normal?

Sometimes he will tease me tj chase him throughout the house 😊🹠which is funny.

He will sometimes more often then not sleep on the bed but inly on the edge and no where near me. When i pick him up and put him closer he justs mives off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

tonyheaney wrote: »
    . He plays with me but will not allow too much affection for some odd reason.the affection is given to me only wheb he wabts to give it. Is that normal?

Yes. Some cats are more affectionate than others but all cats like their own space. Don't try to force any cuddles on him, he'll just start avoiding you:)

• Advertisement

That's kittens for you. They're just like kids who twist away from your hugs and want to go be all independent. They get into a teenage stage, too, when you almost wonder why you bothered having a cat. But it's all so worth it when they're two and start to look to you as the beloved friend and mentor. Just be the friend and understand that cats are cats. Feel free to PM me if he starts getting on your nerves, lol.

Have you got little guy fixed yet? You don't have to wait till he starts peeing on the walls. The earlier the better, as a matter of fact, because the little ones recover faster.

I was told by the vet i have to wait till his 6th month which is more or less now or end of august. How will the snip affect his mentality? i have 2 kids and they went on holiday in June with their mum and when thy did they only saw a little kitten. Now ginger is a big tom. They are due back next week.

taken 3 weeks old 2m2u9ll.jpg

taken 2 days ago 167jsp5.jpg

Taken last night e8wsc4.jpg

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Moved from Zoology.

The current state of veterinary science is to do what they call "early spay and neuter". There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to wait. My kittens were fixed at several weeks old. Testosterone in a young tom will make him exhibit those unattractive tomcat behaviors (marking and fighting primarily). Little guy will be much happier and more comfortable if he's not being yelled at all the time to not do what his nature urges him to do, trust me. Yes, it will make him a little less aloof, but not right away because he's "that age". (What beautiful markings, too!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

He's gorgeous - gingers have lots of personality (both the feline and the human versions)

• Advertisement

on_my_oe wrote: »
    He's gorgeous - gingers have lots of personality (both the feline and the human versions)

He certainly has a wacky personalty. Makes me chase him all over the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Oh lawd that wee button nose!
    I'd get him done asap, the only behaviour change you can be sure of is a quieter cat.

Kovu was neutered at five months. He's still daft as the day is long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

If anything my boys got more friendly once snipped, get it done ASAP, young toms will wander and get injured fighting if not neutered.

He's adorable :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Kovu wrote: »
    Oh lawd that wee button nose!
    I'd get him done asap, the only behaviour change you can be sure of is a quieter cat.

Kovu was neutered at five months. He's still daft as the day is long.

You named your cat after yourself? Such narcissisicm!;)

That's better than what I first thought....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Hahahahaha. I know! He got the name as a little handful of fluff as he managed to get a scratch right across his eye.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Clearly it's the cat posting; cats are the human overlords after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Pac2015

tonyheaney wrote: »
    Sadly she is no longer with us. She went out in may and never returned. I beleve she felt threatened by her tomcat son

This is normal it can happen I had a female who was just like yours very affectionate and loving we moved home and she was with us for several months then she felt threatened by some stray cats in the area and also I started to foster cats for rescues she did not like it and ran away she came back once I believe to see was I still fostering cats and went off again we never saw her since that was Sept 2013.

Advertisement