Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible efibre performance

Options
  • 22-05-2015 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I've had terrible efibre performance since installation last summer. I've had numerous drops in service, plenty of occasions when I've had over 100 drops per day. I've been through the mill with Tech Support of trying everything from changing my modem, moving cordless phones etc but to no avail. I've had half a dozen engineers out who have tried various different fixes which have only proved temporary. In fairness, they have all come to the same conclusion that the line into my house from the kerbside manhole needs to be changed. 
    My frustration is that each time I go with what proves to be a temporary fix, I end up starting at the beginning again with Tech Support when it breaks down again. If I hear "move the cordless phone, we'll try lowering your speed, or you need a new modem" again I'll crack up!
    I'm paying for 70mb efibre, reducing my speed to 15mb is not a satisfactory answer for me, especially when it doesn't work at this speed either! I have children doing exams and am renting a Vodafone 4g Cradlepoint to get us broadband.
    Customer service in eircom doesn't appear to be able to converse vocally, only by email or through boards. Shame.
    I'm about to give up after 24 years as a customer. Their customer service procedures are a disgrace, although their staff are, in fairness, trying their best.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Deise West wrote: »
    I've had terrible efibre performance since installation last summer. I've had numerous drops in service, plenty of occasions when I've had over 100 drops per day. I've been through the mill with Tech Support of trying everything from changing my modem, moving cordless phones etc but to no avail. I've had half a dozen engineers out who have tried various different fixes which have only proved temporary. In fairness, they have all come to the same conclusion that the line into my house from the kerbside manhole needs to be changed. 
    My frustration is that each time I go with what proves to be a temporary fix, I end up starting at the beginning again with Tech Support when it breaks down again. If I hear "move the cordless phone, we'll try lowering your speed, or you need a new modem" again I'll crack up!
    I'm paying for 70mb efibre, reducing my speed to 15mb is not a satisfactory answer for me, especially when it doesn't work at this speed either! I have children doing exams and am renting a Vodafone 4g Cradlepoint to get us broadband.
    Customer service in eircom doesn't appear to be able to converse vocally, only by email or through boards. Shame.
    I'm about to give up after 24 years as a customer. Their customer service procedures are a disgrace, although their staff are, in fairness, trying their best.

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi Deise West

I am genuinely very sorry to hear of the issue you have experienced. I you would like me to look in to this for you please feel free to PM me your eircom account number at your earliest convenience.

Thanks
    Al[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Deise West

Hi Alan
    We had a telephone call from an Engineer today who was about to restart the process that the other Engineers had done. We referred him to Martin (previous Engineer) who, after a thorough process of elimination, came to the conclusion that our line needed to be replaced. 
    Can you please let us know where we stand. 
    Still renting Vodafone 4g to get through exams!

Alan
    I PM'd you my account number yesterday. Were you able to investigate?

Alan
    I PM'd you my account number yesterday. Were you able to investigate?
    Hi Deise West

Yes I received your PM thanks. I am awaiting clarification from our techncial support department. As soon as I have more information I will let you know right away.

Thanks
    AL

Hi Alan
    Any update?

• Advertisement

Any update Alan?

Any update Alan?
    Hi Deise West

The most recent update from our techncial support team is that fault reference 1848021 has been closed as there is no fault on your line.

I see there has now been an official complaint logged for investigation (reference number 1857473)

In the event that an official complaint has been lodged this will be investigated and a member of management will contact you within 10 working days to discus their findings.

Thanks
    Al

Alan 
    Thanks for responding. The fault has not been repaired, internet is still up and down. How can a reference get closed off without consultation with the customer?

Alan 
    Thanks for responding. The fault has not been repaired, internet is still up and down. How can a reference get closed off without consultation with the customer?
    Apologies Deise West

You should have been alerted - this is usually done by text upon fix of the line fault - apologies for this.

Ultimately the lodged complaint will need to be investigatred by the complaints department however I can see that your current speed profile is set to 40Mb download and 16Mb upload. I understand this is not as you mentioned in your opening post 70Mb but it's important to note all speeds are advertised and provided with the condition of 'up to' as there are unfortunately going to be slower speeds in some cases. It's also important to note that the speeds are advised in terms of connecting directly to the router/modem.

When you avail of evision an automatic 20Mb is dedicated to the evision service and a further 5 to 8Mb when the box is actually in use - this is also another reason why your speed profile is set to 40Mb download speeds.

I can also see that the last complete loss of service occurred on the 25th of May at 15:39.

Thanks
    Al

Alan

Thanks for responding.

I have been with your Engineer when he checked the speed availability in the manhole outside my house, and at my modem. Both were 70mb! I was told when I entered into contract with Eircom that I would not get 100mb, but I would get 70mb. I agreed to this.

Due to the fact that there is an issue with my service, Eircom have taken the view that they should turn down my speed to 40mb. The last time there was an issue with my line , they turmed it down to 50mb, then 30mb, then 15mb before it completely failed! The Engineer applied a fix, which he was surprised worked, but said that I needed to get a new line if it went again. Sure enough its gone again, and Eircom are running down my speed to hopefully solve it again!

As you mentioned above I did not get a call or text informing me that Eircom had thought that they had fixed the problem. I am aware that the speed was turned down, I thought it was to 15mb like before, perhaps if Eircom had communicated properly with me I would have know it was 40mb.

In relation to your comment above " last complete loss of service occurred on the 25th of May at 15:39" - what do you mean by "complete"? Our line dropped a number of times on Monday 01st June. We were away for 3 days prior to this, so therefore no drops on those days.

• Advertisement

Alan

Thanks for responding.

I have been with your Engineer when he checked the speed availability in the manhole outside my house, and at my modem. Both were 70mb! I was told when I entered into contract with Eircom that I would not get 100mb, but I would get 70mb. I agreed to this.

Due to the fact that there is an issue with my service, Eircom have taken the view that they should turn down my speed to 40mb. The last time there was an issue with my line , they turmed it down to 50mb, then 30mb, then 15mb before it completely failed! The Engineer applied a fix, which he was surprised worked, but said that I needed to get a new line if it went again. Sure enough its gone again, and Eircom are running down my speed to hopefully solve it again!

As you mentioned above I did not get a call or text informing me that Eircom had thought that they had fixed the problem. I am aware that the speed was turned down, I thought it was to 15mb like before, perhaps if Eircom had communicated properly with me I would have know it was 40mb.

In relation to your comment above " last complete loss of service occurred on the 25th of May at 15:39" - what do you mean by "complete"? Our line dropped a number of times on Monday 01st June. We were away for 3 days prior to this, so therefore no drops on those days.

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi Deise West

In advising "[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]last complete loss of service occurred on the 25th of May at 15:39" [/font][font=Times New Roman","serif]I am saying that this (according to technical supports programmes) is the last time the broadband experienced a loss of signal[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Apologies for the disappointing lack of clarification with this. [/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Thanks[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Al[/font]

Advertisement