Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electoral register

Options
  • 22-05-2015 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

just went to vote only to find out I'm not registered despite sending in the form in plenty of time along with my wife's form. She was registered and all was fine. I have heard stories of other people who have had the same issues. It is ridiculous that this has happened. I have voted on everything for the last 10 years since I've turned 18. This has really annoyed me that I was even removed from the register in the first place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Aronaay wrote: »
    just went to vote only to find out I'm not registered despite sending in the form in plenty of time along with my wife's form.
    Assuming you were using the standard forms, why weren't you both on the same form?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Aronaay

It was for the supplementary register you can only put one person on it

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

Another Irish farce. In the UK, unless you move, you remain registered.

Here, you get letter after letter and it seems they've staff whose full time job is to call to see if you are registered (no thanks...I do not need to know the actual arrangements!)

How much does it cost for this total inefficient system?

You can send an e-mail confirming your details, but you only know you have to do that after you get a letter and you will still get them calling to your door. Total farce, as I say.

We use online banking etc. and accept the security. Why can't this all be done online?!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tiradon

Just for balance - I don’t think that’s strictly true about the UK. As far as I’m aware, in the UK an annual form is sent to each household. This can be done via post or through door-to-door enquiries, depending on the area. If not returned, it could lead to fines etc and removal from register. I stand to be corrected though as this is just from my, probably dated, experience dealing with UK consumer market (about 8/9 years ago at this stage). So maybe it’s not as farcical as it seems. Agree with the online comment though - maybe if/when a postcode system comes in, it can be simplified.

Honestly! wrote: »
    We use online banking etc. and accept the security. Why can't this all be done online?!
    To be secure, you need to track the votes. To be private, you can't track the votes.

They tried this in the Netherlands and it failed spectacularly.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    To be secure, you need to track the votes. To be private, you can't track the votes.

They tried this in the Netherlands and it failed spectacularly.

What votes? Did you read the post?

Honestly! wrote: »
    What votes? Did you read the post?

Apologies. I took "this all" to be the voting system, not the electoral register.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wicklow Will

Tiradon wrote: »
    Just for balance - I don’t think that’s strictly true about the UK. As far as I’m aware, in the UK an annual form is sent to each household. This can be done via post or through door-to-door enquiries, depending on the area. If not returned, it could lead to fines etc and removal from register. I stand to be corrected though as this is just from my, probably dated, experience dealing with UK consumer market (about 8/9 years ago at this stage). So maybe it’s not as farcical as it seems. Agree with the online comment though - maybe if/when a postcode system comes in, it can be simplified.

You can now register to vote, on line in just 3 mins, in the UK. O for the day when we are as progressive here! Three attempts over two years, before our vote moved from Greystones to Delgany! See this link for details on UK system: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/register-to-vote-new-online-service-launched

You can now register to vote, on line in just 3 mins, in the UK. O for the day when we are as progressive here! Three attempts over two years, before our vote moved from Greystones to Delgany! See this link for details on UK system: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/register-to-vote-new-online-service-launched

Yes, but this is Ireland and despite the "new" government mandate, there has been little if any advancement in efficiencies it local government and not much at national level. The Revenue Commissioners technology upgrades are decent enough though.

The level of manual labour in Cunnty Councils is still obscene and it seems like it's for job protection a lot of the time!

Advertisement