Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When you've found a job...

Options
  • 23-05-2015 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all, just got a job sorted in a restaurant in the US for the summer. Should i continue to hand out my resume over the weekend or wait to see what my hours will be like?? I feel a bit idle just stopping searching but then there's the risk i'll be asked to work or be interviewed on the same day as my new job.... help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Handing out your resume doesn't obligate you to anything so go for it.

Its pretty common for people on minimum wage to have two jobs so employers should take that into account when scheduling an interview. I wouldnt worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

keep ploughing away.

Not sure what youll be doing, but with most restaurant jobs, your compensation would mainly be tips rather than salary

many restaurant jobs are also part time so you would have plenty of free time to find a second (or third) part time job

Its a different mentality here......people chop and change all the time.

Restaurants are also used to people coming and going all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Deffo keep handing them out. Just giving someone your resume, doesn't commit you to anything. It can't hurt to have as many irons in the fire as possible, or something to fall back on if the first job doesn't work out. You may not like it, or they may not be able to offer you enough hours at first to pay the bills.

I've ran restaurants in the US. It is not uncommon to give new hires a couple of easy shifts at first, (weekday shifts, lunch time shifts, not in the restaurants busiest section etc) to see how they do & how well they can sell. If they do well, they get the really good shifts, where the restaurant is packed full all night long. They aren't thrown in at the deep end, at the very beginning.

As another poster has said, 90% of your income will come from tips. The more you sell, the more tips you make. The more you sell, the happier your manager will be with you and you'll be given more hours and shifts. So it's not a bad idea to have other options, just in case it takes you a bit of time to get up to speed in how they do things over there.

Advertisement