Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Bank League 2015-2016 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 The Sceptic

The game was scheduled to take place in Liam Fitzgerald Park - Thomond with the replay of last weeks cancelled game re-fixed for Mardyke this coming Saturday. Liam Fitzgerald Park is one of the worst pitches I have seen to retain surface water (no disrespect to the club, but it just is what it is).

On that note obviously not too many pitches were playable in hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Again you wont find a website that covers the leagues like that since Rob Murphy and knockon.ie finished up.
    If you wanted info on Transfers etc you could try contact the personnel in the Leinster branch office or those on leinster junior committee who are involved in the competitions or contact the clubs as there is no website covering the games like rob did.
    Suttonians lost a huge number of players once they went down junior like quite a few clubs do and they are in big rebuilding phase...

Cheers, I used to go to the a few grassroots/20's AIL games with the lads depending on who knew someone who was playing, sort of dropped off and then with knockon going down its just another hobby Im losing interest in due to time etc without the pull of quality coverage to draw you in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Ulster Senior Cup final on tonight of all nights...
    Ballymena v Ballynahinch in Ravenhill - at least it is in Ravenhill....
    There is also 2 Ulster Senior league games scheduled to be played - Banbridge Dungannon and Queens Belfast Harlequins
    Connacht Senior Cup final is on

Munster Senior Cup 2 quarter finals
    Friday night
    Young Munster and UL Bohemians.
    Cork Constitution host Garryowen on Saturday

Connacht Senior Cup final is tomorrow night in Wegians and is between Galwegians and Buccaneers

In Leinster the Senior League Cup and Shield finals are Sunday in Donnybrook with UCD and Belvedere in the Cup final and Wanderers and Greystones in the Shield final.

Wegians won Connacht Senior Cup final 27-10
    Totally deserved victory and it should have been by more...
    Was a good enough game but shame neither side were full strength

Young Munster beat Bohs 14-13 in Munster Cup quarter

Greystones won Leinster Shield beating Wanderers 68-25
    Leinster Cup final is on at the moment in Donnybrook.

UCD won the Leinster Cup and will play Cork Con in Bateman Cup semi final with Galwegians at home to Ballynahinch in the other semi final
    These games will be played Saturday January 16th

AIL back with some games this weekend. Full round of games in Division 1A/B and then Nenagh v Naas in 2A and Barnhall v Highfield and Seapoint v Armagh in 2B and Sligo v Tullamore and Kanturk v Midleton in 2C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

UCD won the Leinster Cup and will play Cork Con in Bateman Cup semi final with Galwegians at home to Ballynahinch in the other semi final
    These games will be played Saturday January 16th

AIL back with some games this weekend. Full round of games in Division 1A/B and then Nenagh v Naas in 2A and Barnhall v Highfield and Seapoint v Armagh in 2B and Sligo v Tullamore and Kanturk v Midleton in 2C

Cork Con to retain... again? Or do you think they'll let someone else have a go at it?

1A
    Wegains v Munster's - Munster's away win. I really hope Wegains don't start to struggle
    Garryowen v Tarf - Tough trip for us. On form should beatthem again though hopefully
    Lansdowne v Hinch - Lansdowne in need of a win that I'm sure they'll get. If they don't start to push on soon top 4 could be a very tough ask
    OB v UCD - I'm going with OB. Hard to know where anyone is at this stage of the year but Students always the most difficult to predict.
    Nure v Con - A win for either really puts them in the mix. Perfect conditions for Nure so will back them to win.

1B
    Shannon v Trin - I reckon a good time to be getting Trinity for Shannon. Would be interested to see if Trinity can push on the half of the season
    Ballymena v Old Wes - Ballymena too strong for this one. Would be great to see them go back up as it look like Hinch are all but gone.
    Rock v Dolphin - Tough to call. Rock home win
    Buccs v UL - Buccs win
    Marys v Quins - Easy win for Marys

Weighing up whether to go to Wegians Munsters, Shannon Trinity or possibly see Nenagh Naas as haven't seen that much division 2 this season and saw Naas against Trinity at start of season and theyre a decent enough side.

Think Con will beat UCD and should beat whoever wins other semi...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 melpat54

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    2nd row Treacy also played a few games and is with UCD

What does a faik mean you have it,after Brennan being spotted

melpat54 wrote: »
    What are you on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

As Far As I Know.

Missed start of Shannon Trinity but good game. Trinity deserved winners...

Division 1A: Galwegians 15 Young Munster 12, Garryowen 10 Clontarf 3, Lansdowne 29 Ballynahinch 24, Old Belvedere 6 UCD 23, Terenure College 22 Cork Constitution 32

Division 1B: Shannon 22 Dublin University 25, Ballymena 48 Old Wesley 0, Blackrock College 14 Dolphin 13, Buccaneers 18 UL Bohemians 7, St. Mary's College 38 Belfast Harlequins 13

Division 2A: Nenagh Ormond 3 Naas 8
    Division 2B: MU Barnhall 14 Highfield 28, Seapoint v Armagh match postponed
    Division 2C: Sligo 7 Tullamore 10, Kanturk v Midleton postponed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Missed start of Shannon Trinity but good game. Trinity deserved winners...

Division 1A: Galwegians 15 Young Munster 12, Garryowen 10 Clontarf 3, Lansdowne 29 Ballynahinch 24, Old Belvedere 6 UCD 23, Terenure College 22 Cork Constitution 32

Division 1B: Shannon 22 Dublin University 25, Ballymena 48 Old Wesley 0, Blackrock College 14 Dolphin 13, Buccaneers 18 UL Bohemians 7, St. Mary's College 38 Belfast Harlequins 13

Division 2A: Nenagh Ormond 3 Naas 8
    Division 2B: MU Barnhall 14 Highfield 28, Seapoint v Armagh match postponed
    Division 2C: Sligo 7 Tullamore 10, Kanturk v Midleton postponed

That's a huge score from Ballymena. Great away win by Trinity - they are pushing Marys and Ballymena very hard in 1B.

UCD in control of 1A but below that it is as tight as ever

Stainalert wrote: »
    That's a huge score from Ballymena. Great away win by Trinity - they are pushing Marys and Ballymena very hard in 1B.

UCD are top but wouldn't say theyre in much control of 1A. Saw them against Galwegians and their academy guys were impressive but don't see them winning the league.
    Trinity were very good against Shannon. More than pushing Marys and Ballymena hard. Theyre right up with them. They may have shipped a few injuries in Saturdays game but if they don't have any guys out for a while and can keep the momentum going(Saturday was 8 wins in a row) they'll be very close to the two ahead of them

• Advertisement

Huge from Ballymena, they look to have a very strong side from pictures I saw the other day. Can't see Trinity keeping the pressure on Marys and Ballymena until the end of the year but look good at the minute.

I wouldn't say they're in control. Let's not forget they will suffer the most from B&I, losing players to Leinster during 6N and Under 20s 6N.

Was at Tarf v Garryowen. It was the longest grass I've ever seen. Garryowen were incredibly physical and deserved winners. Their try was really nice, if somewhat poor D from Tarf. Some very weird yellows for both sides.

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    Huge from Ballymena, they look to have a very strong side from pictures I saw the other day. Can't see Trinity keeping the pressure on Marys and Ballymena until the end of the year but look good at the minute.

I wouldn't say they're in control. Let's not forget they will suffer the most from B&I, losing players to Leinster during 6N and Under 20s 6N.

Was at Tarf v Garryowen. It was the longest grass I've ever seen. Garryowen were incredibly physical and deserved winners. Their try was really nice, if somewhat poor D from Tarf. Some very weird yellows for both sides.

Not sure UCD will lose too many of their senior squad to the U20s 6N - no doubt will still be very well represented in that squad though. They've been coping pretty well with losing players to Leinster & B&I all season . Just think they are in a better position this year than most years and have better strength in depth than maybe they've had in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

UCD are top but wouldn't say theyre in much control of 1A. Saw them against Galwegians and their academy guys were impressive but don't see them winning the league.
    Trinity were very good against Shannon. More than pushing Marys and Ballymena hard. Theyre right up with them. They may have shipped a few injuries in Saturdays game but if they don't have any guys out for a while and can keep the momentum going(Saturday was 8 wins in a row) they'll be very close to the two ahead of them
    I was at the Shannon/trinity game on Saturday,it was a very close affair and as the score suggest could have gone either way..Shannon orchtrestrated their try's very well while giving away very soft trys..very entertaining game well done to Trinity

Not sure UCD will lose too many of their senior squad to the U20s 6N - no doubt will still be very well represented in that squad though. They've been coping pretty well with losing players to Leinster & B&I all season . Just think they are in a better position this year than most years and have better strength in depth than maybe they've had in a while.

At a glance they could lose Dardis, Byrne, Porter and Timmons from their team at the weekend. I believe Porter has been crucial for them this year. Add to that Ross Byrne, Nick McCarthy, Jack Power, Loughman, Tracy and potentially Barry Daly to 7s that is a pretty sizeable chunk.

During the 6n window they have Wegains, Nure, Con and YM. Not the worst but not easy fixtures. Really don't see them as being in control with that ahead. I agree they are probably in a better place then usual with the 6N coming up but still think it will have an impact.

At a glance they could lose Dardis, Byrne, Porter and Timmons from their team at the weekend. I believe Porter has been crucial for them this year. Add to that Ross Byrne, Nick McCarthy, Jack Power, Loughman, Tracy and potentially Barry Daly to 7s that is a pretty sizeable chunk.

During the 6n window they have Wegains, Nure, Con and YM. Not the worst but not easy fixtures. Really don't see them as being in control with that ahead. I agree they are probably in a better place then usual with the 6N coming up but still think it will have an impact.

Fair enough but I don't think they have seen much of Byrne, McCarthy and Tracy so far this season and have fared okay without them. There are no AIL clashes with the 7's for the rest of the season. Loughman & Porter could be losses alright but I think it is unlikely they will miss both in the same week. Timmons has been very good for them so far this season but they have a huge amount of backrow in the club already.

• Advertisement

Fair enough but I don't think they have seen much of Byrne, McCarthy and Tracy so far this season and have fared okay without them. There are no AIL clashes with the 7's for the rest of the season. Loughman & Porter could be losses alright but I think it is unlikely they will miss both in the same week. Timmons has been very good for them so far this season but they have a huge amount of backrow in the club already.

I know they haven't seen much of them but having none of them together could be big. I'm also aware that no A games directly clash but we all know that's not the only issue with A games. Injuries and resting periods seem to be more and more common from them.

There is a chance they could be missing Porter for the Lansdowne game too which would be a big loss.

I still think they have a strong side and decent depth but losing that many of your leading lights is never a good thing.

Not sure UCD will lose too many of their senior squad to the U20s 6N - no doubt will still be very well represented in that squad though. They've been coping pretty well with losing players to Leinster & B&I all season. Just think they are in a better position this year than most years and have better strength in depth than maybe they've had in a while.
    Wont lose too many AIL players to 20s but will lose enough and don't think they can cope with losing players to call ups.
    Braken wrote: »
    I was at the Shannon/trinity game on Saturday,it was a very close affair and as the score suggest could have gone either way..Shannon orchtrestrated their try's very well while giving away very soft trys..very entertaining game well done to Trinity
    Score suggests it could have went either way but Trinity were that bit stronger and Shannon were that bit off Trinity from what I saw of the game. Shannon were not that good. Trinity played nearly all the rugby in the game and Shannon had a lot of ball but didn't do much. Shannon were all over the shop.

Wont lose too many AIL players to 20s but will lose enough and don't think they can cope with losing players to call ups.
    Score suggests it could have went either way but Trinity were that bit stronger and Shannon were that bit off Trinity from what I saw of the game. Shannon were not that good. Trinity played nearly all the rugby in the game and Shannon had a lot of ball but didn't do much. Shannon were all over the shop.

Different opinions....Shannon had a great second half and clawed there way back into the game and only for poor decision making could have gone either way
    The last Shannon try was a beauty combining the two centres and the winger
    But your right on the day Trinity deserved their win...

Different opinions....Shannon had a great second half and clawed there way back into the game and only for poor decision making could have gone either way
    The last Shannon try was a beauty combining the two centres and the winger
    But your right on the day Trinity deserved their win...
    Really don't see that viewpoint. Shannon weren't close but anyway....

They will lose the guys who are next in line though. One or 2 gone from the AIL team and then another 4-6 (guess) lost from those who might step up. That means some of their strength in depth would be impacted.

They will lose the guys who are next in line though. One or 2 gone from the AIL team and then another 4-6 (guess) lost from those who might step up. That means some of their strength in depth would be impacted.
    Slightly better phrased of what I meant to post. They'll lose some AIL players to 20s and then others who don't always start and then they'll lose to Leinster and call ups due to 6Ns.

Any way.... Midleton was badly flooded but the club expects their game this weekend to go ahead. Hopefully all games are played this weekend.
    Any thoughts on games? Not just predictions but ....

Any way.... Midleton was badly flooded but the club expects their game this weekend to go ahead. Hopefully all games are played this weekend.
    Any thoughts on games? Not just predictions but ....

I hear the weather is supposed to be ok in Dublin for the weekend so hopefully no matches here would be affected. What is the forecast like elsewhere?

Hinch v Wegains game look very important. If Hinch lose they are all but down a win would be a double result for them keeping wegains within a reasonable distance.

Replay of last years final should be interesting in Castle Ave. Could be a very exciting game if the weather holds. 2 teams who play on astro's and love attacking through the backs.

I think Con and Belvo is an intriguing part of the battle for a play off spot. For some strange reason I think it will be one of them in 4th and either Garryowen or Lansdowne in 3rd (don't ask for my logic, there is none there)

Looks a few dead rubbers in 1B. Dolphin Shannon being one of the few games which I think might be tight. Really looks like Trin, Ballymena and Marys have cut a drift. Would like to see Ballymena go back up. The league needs at least one decent team from each province in my opinion and Ballymena look well place to provide Ulsters representative. Hinch just haven't looked like really turning into a challenger club.

I hear the weather is supposed to be ok in Dublin for the weekend so hopefully no matches here would be affected. What is the forecast like elsewhere?

Hinch v Wegains game look very important. If Hinch lose they are all but down a win would be a double result for them keeping wegains within a reasonable distance.

Replay of last years final should be interesting in Castle Ave. Could be a very exciting game if the weather holds. 2 teams who play on astro's and love attacking through the backs.

I think Con and Belvo is an intriguing part of the battle for a play off spot. For some strange reason I think it will be one of them in 4th and either Garryowen or Lansdowne in 3rd (don't ask for my logic, there is none there)

Looks a few dead rubbers in 1B. Dolphin Shannon being one of the few games which I think might be tight. Really looks like Trin, Ballymena and Marys have cut a drift. Would like to see Ballymena go back up. The league needs at least one decent team from each province in my opinion and Ballymena look well place to provide Ulsters representative. Hinch just haven't looked like really turning into a challenger club.
    Was tempted to drive up to Dublin for a game but mightn't.

Any thoughts on division 2? Not just about the top20...
    DUFC/Ballymena/Marys have built a gap and don't see them being caught. On Ballymena going up. Would be good for league. Id prefer DUFC to go up but not so sure if they will. Probably is better for the league if Ballymena do go up and a Dublin side goes down. 6 sides from capital out of 10 in top flight isn't that great in many ways.

1A
    Ballynahinch v Galwegians - Going to back Hinch on this one - Their form has picked up and have home advantage
    Clontarf v Lansdowne - Should be a great game - Tarf rightly favourites and Carberry back from injury but hoping it will be close
    Cork Con v Belvo - Con look to be quietly coming good so going with home advantage on this one
    UCD v Garryowen - Dan Leavy and Ross Byrne in for UCD so have to back college on this one
    Young Munster v Terenure - Hard to figure out why Terenure are struggling but think they might turn it around tomorrow

1B
    Belfast Harlequins v Blackrock - Rock to win away
    Dolphin v Shannon - Another away win
    Old Wesley v St Marys - Old Wesley will be smarting from last week and have Ngaweni back but still backing Marys
    Trinity v Buccaneers - Expect Trinity to keep up their winning ways with a comfortable win
    UL Bohs v Ballymena - 4th away win of the weekend in 1B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

David O'Donovan (Dunny) gets his 200th AIL cap today for Shannon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Tarf lost to lansdowne courtesy of a last minute penalty. 19-18

Forgot to post all of todays results.
    1A
    Ballynahinch 33 Galwegians 16, Clontarf 18 Lansdowne 19, Cork Con 32 Old Belvedere 0, UCD 45 Garryowen 19, Young Munster 14 Terenure 6
    1B
    Belfast Harlequins 12 Blackrock College 10, Dolphin 3 Shannon 13, Trinity 22 Buccaneers 23, Old Wesley 14 St Marys 20, UL Bohs 15 Ballymena 17
    2A:
    Cashel 18 Banbridge 20, Naas 27 Thomond 18, Queen's University 31 Malone 25, Skerries 15 Nenagh Ormond 30, UCC 44 Corinthians 3, t
    2B:
    Armagh 14 Sunday's Well 16, City of Derry 29 Seapoint 0, Dungannon 3 Bective Rangers 7, Greystones 12 MU Barnhall 14,
    Highfield v Rainey Old Boys - match postponed
    2C:
    Boyne 25 Kanturk 14, Midleton 14 Navan 6, Old Crescent 52 Dundalk 5, Sligo 16 Bruff 14, Wanderers 6 Tullamore 5

• Registered Users Posts: 7 melpat54

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Below standard but I definitely wouldn't say they were dreadful. Few lads made the step up to senior this year while playing with the 20s, Ivan Soroka, Rory Litchfield and Conor O'Brien to name a few who made a decent impact.

Conor Obrien has come up through the Leinster clubs system and is def 1 to look out for in the future unfortunately has been plagued. with. Injuries last year but seems to be back on track

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

back in ireland for a few days. Have been coaching in the USA and off to crusaders in 2 weeks. Watched the clontarf lansdowne game as well as malahide wicklow today.

It's been a while since i've watched AIL rugby in ireland, around 2010 esque. The standard seems to have dropped drastically.

I was watching both games looking at guys run straight up into contact, 5 guys pile into rucks with piss poor body position awareness and technique. Like ireland recently both games were full of static ball carriers standing shallow waiting for the pass.

The lansdowne 15 (Mills I think) had great spacial awareness, positional sense and was very composed. Clontarf 3 (Vak) was a great ball carrier and a big loss when he went off.

Trippie wrote: »
    back in ireland for a few days. Have been coaching in the USA and off to crusaders in 2 weeks. Watched the clontarf lansdowne game as well as malahide wicklow today.

It's been a while since i've watched AIL rugby in ireland, around 2010 esque. The standard seems to have dropped drastically.

I was watching both games looking at guys run straight up into contact, 5 guys pile into rucks with piss poor body position awareness and technique. Like ireland recently both games were full of static ball carriers standing shallow waiting for the pass.

The lansdowne 15 (Mills I think) had great spacial awareness, positional sense and was very composed. Clontarf 3 (Vak) was a great ball carrier and a big loss when he went off.

What is your opinion of the new Pro Rugby league starting in April in the States?
    Has it a chance?

What is your opinion of the new Pro Rugby league starting in April in the States?
    Has it a chance?

depends on how we define a chance? it's being financially backed by one person and the first year so will be going ahead. Second year probably certain to ahead in one form or another

Houston was going to be one of the teams but the stadium was booked up, it will be added to the league in 2017 as well as two teams in canada apparently. I think they will jump from 6 to 10-12 teams by year two. So far teams will be in san diego, san francisco, sacaramento, denver, philadelphia and salt lake city. Potentially add in houston, chicago, canada x 2, colombus(tiger rugby), seattle (saracens/servei/atavus) and boston which has the north eastern olympic academy

There isn't any tv deal lined up yet and heard they were looking at online subscription based system. Only 1 coach announced so far and they kept saying when the eagles head coach is decided then things will fall into place. Not too sure why that is, maybe tolkin will take over a team or maybe they are looking to have mitchell appoint some coaches in order to help them improve.

they have had a scouting combine and will be having a few more, one in texas i know of.

There is a lot of talk of trying to get the season fixed so it ties in with the new americas 6 nations. im hoping to get a coaching job in 2017 when finished with crusaders so would be nice if it makes progress

depends on how we define a chance? it's being financially backed by one person and the first year so will be going ahead. Second year probably certain to ahead in one form or another

Houston was going to be one of the teams but the stadium was booked up, it will be added to the league in 2017 as well as two teams in canada apparently. I think they will jump from 6 to 10-12 teams by year two. So far teams will be in san diego, san francisco, sacaramento, denver, philadelphia and salt lake city. Potentially add in houston, chicago, canada x 2, colombus(tiger rugby), seattle (saracens/servei/atavus) and boston which has the north eastern olympic academy

There isn't any tv deal lined up yet and heard they were looking at online subscription based system. Only 1 coach announced so far and they kept saying when the eagles head coach is decided then things will fall into place. Not too sure why that is, maybe tolkin will take over a team or maybe they are looking to have mitchell appoint some coaches in order to help them improve.

they have had a scouting combine and will be having a few more, one in texas i know of.

There is a lot of talk of trying to get the season fixed so it ties in with the new americas 6 nations. im hoping to get a coaching job in 2017 when finished with crusaders so would be nice if it makes progress
    Sounds good and the best of luck with the coaching...
    My son plays Div1b AIL ,he has dual citizenship ,might be worth looking at??

Sounds good and the best of luck with the coaching...
    My son plays Div1b AIL ,he has dual citizenship ,might be worth looking at??

i believe they have 90% of the players identified for this year. the scouting combines are to identify the rest. Officially they are trying to promote US players which can contribute to national teams. If he is not known to any of the potential head coaches then i'm not sure how he can get into the discussion for a spot

They have a limit of 5 foreign players on each team or squad with the majority of them being project players (McGinty). Even though he has dual citizenship it may be hard to get identified.

Club rugby in soe of the bigger leagues could be a way in, Pacific Rugby premiership, atlantic championship, saracens in the canadian competition or play/study at Life university

i believe they have 90% of the players identified for this year. the scouting combines are to identify the rest. Officially they are trying to promote US players which can contribute to national teams. If he is not known to any of the potential head coaches then i'm not sure how he can get into the discussion for a spot

They have a limit of 5 foreign players on each team or squad with the majority of them being project players (McGinty). Even though he has dual citizenship it may be hard to get identified.

Club rugby in soe of the bigger leagues could be a way in, Pacific Rugby premiership, atlantic championship, saracens in the canadian competition or play/study at Life university
    Thanks for the info...

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info...

no worries, if he is interested in going over and playing there let me know and I can help get him set up in Texas for sure. Decent standard there at top level with a lot of great athletes. The clubs norally provide housing, jobs etc

Kinglsey McGowan at Trinity has been playing for the USA falcons in 7's this weekend and he is from the Houston area so he might be able to help too

I tend to agree with you as an overall point on the standards. However, I don't think Saturday on Clontarf was a great advert for what it is today. Both team were very poor by their own standards. I know Clontarf were very disappointed. Vahk is still very young in prop terms and has only properly started playing TH this year. A lot of potential there.

Conor Obrien has come up through the Leinster clubs system and is def 1 to look out for in the future unfortunately has been plagued. with. Injuries last year but seems to be back on track

His struggles have been hugely unfortunate. I think he has serious potential to develop even further. He is turning into a very big 13. Great skills, not been helped of late by a few poor team performances.

I tend to agree with you as an overall point on the standards. However, I don't think Saturday on Clontarf was a great advert for what it is today. Both team were very poor by their own standards. I know Clontarf were very disappointed. Vahk is still very young in prop terms and has only properly started playing TH this year. A lot of potential there.

yeah it was a pretty poor performance from what I saw. Body shape and understanding of isometric force in the scrums were lacking. The #5 was really poor, if you can look at the video his inside leg was fully extended at around 40 degrees every scrum and it's impossible to generate any push like that. Too many feet churning individually as well.

yeah it was a pretty poor performance from what I saw. Body shape and understanding of isometric force in the scrums were lacking. The #5 was really poor, if you can look at the video his inside leg was fully extended at around 40 degrees every scrum and it's impossible to generate any push like that. Too many feet churning individually as well.

Clontarf were missing a couple of props to injury. Their tighthead is a decent prospect but still has a bit to learn scrummaging wise.

Thought Joey Carberry (10) really stood out for Clontarf and Tadgh Beirne (6) was very good for Lansdowne. Two teams at this stage who know each other pretty well so I think they both found it hard at times to break each other down. Have to say the new pitch is very very good.

Clontarf were missing a couple of props to injury. Their tighthead is a decent prospect but still has a bit to learn scrummaging wise.

Thought Joey Carberry (10) really stood out for Clontarf and Tadgh Beirne (6) was very good for Lansdowne. Two teams at this stage who know each other pretty well so I think they both found it hard at times to break each other down. Have to say the new pitch is very very good.

Agreed on all of the above. RBF will be a huge addition when back. Soroka has been under huge pressure this year due to the lack of an experienced TH in most games.

Tadgh Beirne looks huge, thought he was very good, am I right in saying he is gone from Leisnter? Thought Deasy and Griggs were their usual impressive selves. Comfortably best 9-10 axis in the league IMO.

Love the new pitch, it's already meant at least 4-5 game shave gone ahead that usually normally would not have.

• Advertisement

Agreed on all of the above. RBF will be a huge addition when back. Soroka has been under huge pressure this year due to the lack of an experienced TH in most games.

Tadgh Beirne looks huge, thought he was very good, am I right in saying he is gone from Leisnter? Thought Deasy and Griggs were their usual impressive selves. Comfortably best 9-10 axis in the league IMO.

Love the new pitch, it's already meant at least 4-5 game shave gone ahead that usually normally would not have.

Tadgh Beirne still with Leinster - He earned himself a development contract with some good performances for Leinster earlier in the season - hopefully can stay injury free and show everyone his true potential.

Cork Con had a serious win over Belvo - seem to be getting stronger as the season goes on

Tadgh Beirne still with Leinster - He earned himself a development contract with some good performances for Leinster earlier in the season - hopefully can stay injury free and show everyone his true potential.

Cork Con had a serious win over Belvo - seem to be getting stronger as the season goes on

Don't know where I got that from then!

Was talking to a few Belvo guys yesterday and they were saying they started well conceded a try against the run of play and just folded. Con do look like they're coming good though. Good time of the year to be producing big results.

Anyone know if IRFU or Ulster Bank are doing the player awards again this season? Good initiative - Would be a shame if they didn't carry on from last season.
    Anyone got any nominations for outstanding players so far this season?

Anyone know if IRFU or Ulster Bank are doing the player awards again this season? Good initiative - Would be a shame if they didn't carry on from last season.
    Anyone got any nominations for outstanding players so far this season?
    They are. Havent seen anything to say theyre not on

They are. Havent seen anything to say theyre not on

I can't imagine Ulster Bank not wanting to do it. I think it's been a great success. No-one jumping out at me for Player of the year yet. Does anyone know if there is anywhere to check who is top try or points scorer in any of the leagues other than working it out yourself through match reports?

I presume Mick McGrath is still top try scorer or has anyone else scored a load of tries too? Has anyone been kicking regularly enough for UCD to be up there? I'd imagine Joey Carberry has a good few points for Tarf this year. Not sure who else would be in the running for that. Scott Deasy or Daragh Lyons maybe?

• Advertisement
Advertisement