Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Bank League 2015-2016 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    I can't imagine Ulster Bank not wanting to do it. I think it's been a great success. No-one jumping out at me for Player of the year yet. Does anyone know if there is anywhere to check who is top try or points scorer in any of the leagues other than working it out yourself through match reports?

I presume Mick McGrath is still top try scorer or has anyone else scored a load of tries too? Has anyone been kicking regularly enough for UCD to be up there? I'd imagine Joey Carberry has a good few points for Tarf this year. Not sure who else would be in the running for that. Scott Deasy or Daragh Lyons maybe?

Barry Daly has 9 tries - Think McGrath has 9 also . Deasy, Carberry & Quinlan all very close on total points

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

Trippie wrote: »
    no worries, if he is interested in going over and playing there let me know and I can help get him set up in Texas for sure. Decent standard there at top level with a lot of great athletes. The clubs norally provide housing, jobs etc

Kinglsey McGowan at Trinity has been playing for the USA falcons in 7's this weekend and he is from the Houston area so he might be able to help too
    Much appreciated...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Trippie wrote: »
    Kinglsey McGowan at Trinity has been playing for the USA falcons in 7's this weekend and he is from the Houston area so he might be able to help too
    He's virtually finished with Trinity now afaik and staying in US to try make Olympics/US squads

Full round of division 2 games this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Have to say D2 is where it is at this year for me, it has it all especially 2A!
    Its crazy to think that if results go a certain way you could have 1B next year being dominated by Ulster teams. Hinch down Banbridge up Quinns staying etc.

But I am sure the IRFU are already thinking of ways to mess with the leagues, they haven't in nearly a season now so its about time.

$ausage$ wrote: »
    Have to say D2 is where it is at this year for me, it has it all especially 2A!
    Its crazy to think that if results go a certain way you could have 1B next year being dominated by Ulster teams. Hinch down Banbridge up Quinns staying etc.

But I am sure the IRFU are already thinking of ways to mess with the leagues, they haven't in nearly a season now so its about time.
    2A was always going to be very close especially how last season ended.. 7 points separated 6th to 12th

1A will still be Dublin dominated but will be interesting if we see Ulster dominating 1B. Need more stronger club sides from the North....

Like this is county breakdown of AIL divisions....
    1A
    5 Dublin, 1 Cork, 2 Limerick, 1 Galway, 1 Down
    1B
    4 Dublin, 1 Westmeath 2 Limerick, 1 Cork, 2 Antrim
    2A
    2 Tipperary, 1 Galway, 1 Cork, 1 Kildare, 2 Antrim, 1 Down, 1 Dublin
    2B
    2 Derry, 1 Armagh, 1 Kildare, 2 Cork, 1 Wicklow, 2 Dublin, 1 Tyrone
    2C
    2 Limerick, 1 Offaly, 1 Sligo, 2 Louth, 1 Meath, 1 Dublin, 2 Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

He's virtually finished with Trinity now afaik and staying in US to try make Olympics/US squads

Full round of division 2 games this weekend.

spoke to him the other day, currently on tour with the falcons in south america and tied up with usa until march but unless he gets a contract will be heading back to trinity apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

$ausage$ wrote: »

Are you suggesting the IRFU have done anything but help improve the club game???? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

2A was always going to be very close especially how last season ended.. 7 points separated 6th to 12th

1A will still be Dublin dominated but will be interesting if we see Ulster dominating 1B. Need more stronger club sides from the North....

Like this is county breakdown of AIL divisions....
    1A
    5 Dublin, 1 Cork, 2 Limerick, 1 Galway, 1 Down
    1B
    4 Dublin, 1 Westmeath 2 Limerick, 1 Cork, 2 Antrim
    2A
    2 Tipperary, 1 Galway, 1 Cork, 1 Kildare, 2 Antrim, 1 Down, 1 Dublin
    2B
    2 Derry, 1 Armagh, 1 Kildare, 2 Cork, 1 Wicklow, 2 Dublin, 1 Tyrone
    2C
    2 Limerick, 1 Offaly, 1 Sligo, 2 Louth, 1 Meath, 1 Dublin, 2 Cork

Interesting to see the Dublin 'dominance' disappears pretty quickly as you go down the leagues. Would love to see a greater mix in 1A, just not at our expense!! 2 Dub teams down and maybe Dolphin and Ballymena back up would give it a nice mix

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Interesting to see the Dublin 'dominance' disappears pretty quickly as you go down the leagues. Would love to see a greater mix in 1A, just not at our expense!! 2 Dub teams down and maybe Dolphin and Ballymena back up would give it a nice mix

League should always be about ability and performance not geography, Munster teams were dominant for many years Leinsters turn at the moment. All down to structures and in fairness Leinster doing a far better job than most other provinces. Munster starting to improve but will take time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭GavMan

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    League should always be about ability and performance not geography, Munster teams were dominant for many years Leinsters turn at the moment. All down to structures and in fairness Leinster doing a far better job than most other provinces. Munster starting to improve but will take time

A lot of quality munster club players are based in Dublin now to be fair. Which is to be expected. Its normal that people, particularly young people, would gravitate towards the capital in search of work given our circumstances over the past 7 years or so

• Advertisement

You would expect it to drop off somewhat as you go down the divisions.
    But theres a good likelihood its going to be worse next season with potentially Ballynahinch going down and 1 of Marys/Trinity going up never mind if both of those sides were to go up and Hinch and wegians went down to 1B
    But the circumstances are different now and when Munster sides were dominant they didn't have a significant potential population of players playing with sides elsewhere/working elsewhere. Significant numbers have gravitated to Dublin for work

So what are you suggesting? 1A and 1B should be decided on a geographic basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Stainalert wrote: »
    So what are you suggesting? 1A and 1B should be decided on a geographic basis?

Why not do it like the NFL? Geographic conferences and play offs.

You would expect it to drop off somewhat as you go down the divisions.
    But theres a good likelihood its going to be worse next season with potentially Ballynahinch going down and 1 of Marys/Trinity going up never mind if both of those sides were to go up and Hinch and wegians went down to 1B
    But the circumstances are different now and when Munster sides were dominant they didn't have a significant potential population of players playing with sides elsewhere/working elsewhere. Significant numbers have gravitated to Dublin for work

Don't really see the merit in that - It makes sense in the US because of the distances teams would have to travel. The AIL has always been a meritocracy and should stay that way.

Wasn't a suggestion to have it enforced that way. Just it would be nice if it was spread out more. I don't have a problem with it, IMO it should always be the best teams in the country

Don't really see the merit in that - It makes sense in the US because of the distances teams would have to travel. The AIL has always been a meritocracy and should stay that way.

Fully agree with your comment. It was more that I enjoy the trips away outside of Dublin. More interesting to play a really good Con or Garryowen side then Trinity or UCD. Maybe its the fact that we play them at all levels and get to see them far more often.

Fully agree with your comment. It was more that I enjoy the trips away outside of Dublin. More interesting to play a really good Con or Garryowen side then Trinity or UCD. Maybe its the fact that we play them at all levels and get to see them far more often.

That beggars an interesting question in that should universities be in the league at the expense of proper club teams?? Not sure of where I would even stand on that that myself but an interesting question none the less

But how much of AIL should be geographic conferences? How do you make it even and equal conferences?
    That beggars an interesting question in that should universities be in the league at the expense of proper club teams?? Not sure of where I would even stand on that that myself but an interesting question none the less
    The universities are "proper club teams" though. What do you do with universities then if they weren't in the league?

But how much of AIL should be geographic conferences? How do you make it even and equal conferences?
    The universities are "proper club teams" though. What do you do with universities then if they weren't in the league?

Again, just picked the 2 clubs I've least interest in wasn't meant as an attack on the Universities.... My choice of wording and examples have not been good today.

• Advertisement

Galwegians had a good win over Ballynahinch in Bateman Cup/1A doubleheader. Real good game. Very high scoring and lots of well taken scores.
    Saw last quarter of game after having been at B&I game in sportsground.

Bateman Cup Semis
    Galwegians 35 Ballynahinch 31, UCD 0 Cork Con 24

2A
    Banbridge 16 UCC 3, Corinthians 0 Naas 38, Nenagh Ormond 31 Malone 15, Queen's University 20 Cashel 7, Thomond 25 Skerries 7

2B
    Bective Rangers 0 Armagh 8, City of Derry 33 Highfield 10, MU Barnhall 31 Dungannon 14, Rainey Old Boys 8 Greystones 22, Sunday's Well 14 Seapoint 8

2C
    Bruff 17 Wanderers 24, Kanturk 25 Dundalk 21, Old Crescent 54 Sligo 5, Tullamore 16 Midleton 13

Great win by Con - That's their 2nd successive game they haven't conceded points - very impressive

Great win by Con - That's their 2nd successive game they haven't conceded points - very impressive

They seem to be really coming good. Very impressive result

Club international squad announced last week
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/club/ulsterbankleagueandcup/36702.php#.VqpRMU1i_cs

Full round of games in each division this weekend...

Club international squad announced last week
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/club/ulsterbankleagueandcup/36702.php#.VqpRMU1i_cs

Full round of games in each division this weekend...

Looks a good squad. I know there has been another addition or 2 to it since then.

1B looks very easy to predict for the most part this weekend. Very much a split league at this stage. 1A looking really exciting. UCD need a very big month. If they can get 2 or 3 wins I think they're in a great position to get top 2 if not first. 5 losses and tough to see them staying in top 4.

1A
    Con v YM - Con in good form. Home win
    Wegians v Tarf - I think this will be a tight encounter, Tarf not at full strength. We really need to get back on track and think we will sneak it.
    Garryowen v Belvo - Belvo on a slide and Garryowen looking good recently. Garryowen win.
    Nure v Hinch - Possibly biggest game of the weekend. Hinch in desperate need and Nure will be just as desperate to get some breathing space. Hinch win
    Lansdowne v UCD - Though Lansdowne were looking back to something like their usual last time out. Students will be hit by Leinster and Irish 20s now. Lansdowne win

1B
    Ballymena v buccs - Ballymena win
    Rock v Old Wes - Could go either way but reckon home win
    Trin v Dolphin - Trin win
    Shannon v Quins - Shannon win
    Marys v Bohs - Marys win

• Advertisement

1B looks very easy to predict for the most part this weekend. Very much a split league at this stage. 1A looking really exciting. UCD need a very big month. If they can get 2 or 3 wins I think they're in a great position to get top 2 if not first. 5 losses and tough to see them staying in top 4.

1A
    Con v YM - Con in good form. Home win
    Wegians v Tarf - I think this will be a tight encounter, Tarf not at full strength. We really need to get back on track and think we will sneak it.
    Garryowen v Belvo - Belvo on a slide and Garryowen looking good recently. Garryowen win.
    Nure v Hinch - Possibly biggest game of the weekend. Hinch in desperate need and Nure will be just as desperate to get some breathing space. Hinch win
    Lansdowne v UCD - Though Lansdowne were looking back to something like their usual last time out. Students will be hit by Leinster and Irish 20s now. Lansdowne win

1B
    Ballymena v buccs - Ballymena win
    Rock v Old Wes - Could go either way but reckon home win
    Trin v Dolphin - Trin win
    Marys v Bohs - Marys win

Looks a good squad. I know there has been another addition or 2 to it since then.
    That's quite often the case...

Will go to Galwegians Clontarf if I don't go to the Connacht game.

1A
    Con v YM - Agree Con to win
    Wegians v Tarf - Expect Clontarf to have too much
    Garryowen v Belvo - Think Belvo might sneak this one.
    Nure v Hinch - Ballynahinch are much improved but I am still going with Terenure
    Lansdowne v UCD - Both teams missing a lot of players - UCD have already beaten Lansdowne well twice this season so hoping for a bit of pride tomorrow

1B
    Ballymena v Buccs - Agree Ballymena win
    Rock v Old Wes - Wesley to get back on track
    Trinity v Dolphin - Trinity to win well
    Marys v Bohs - Marys win

1A
    Con v YM - Agree Con to win
    Wegians v Tarf - Expect Clontarf to have too much
    Garryowen v Belvo - Think Belvo might sneak this one.
    Nure v Hinch - Ballynahinch are much improved but I am still going with Terenure
    Lansdowne v UCD - Both teams missing a lot of players - UCD have already beaten Lansdowne well twice this season so hoping for a bit of pride tomorrow

1B
    Ballymena v Buccs - Agree Ballymena win
    Rock v Old Wes - Wesley to get back on track
    Trinity v Dolphin - Trinity to win well
    Marys v Bohs - Marys win

Nenagh and Thomond in 2A tonight before 24 games tomorrow...

• Advertisement

Nenagh beat Thomond 29-10

Results....
    1A
    Cork Con 17 Young Munster 18, Galwegians 5 Clontarf 17, Garryowen 27 Old Belvedere 14, Terenure College 9 Ballynahinch 20,
    Lansdowne 22 UCD 20

1B
    Ballymena 25 Buccaneers 30, Blackrock College 10 Old Wesley 28, Dublin University 29 Dolphin 6, Shannon 40 Belfast Harlequins 0,
    St. Mary's College 22 UL Bohemians 13

2A
    Nenagh Ormond 29 Thomond 10 - played on Friday, Malone 15 Cashel 17, Naas 16 Banbridge 5, Skerries 21 Corinthians 0,
    UCC 30 Queen's University 14

2B
    Armagh 0 MU Barnhall 15, Dungannon v Rainey Old Boys - match postponed, Greystones 18 City of Derry 11, Seapoint 14 Highfield 24, Sunday's Well 30 Bective Rangers 8

2C
    Wanderers 31 Old Crescent 24, Boyne 11 Tullamore 31, Dundalk 42 Sligo 3, Kanturk 0 Navan 0, Midleton 10 Bruff 20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Results....

2C
    Kanturk 0 Navan 0,

:eek: When was the last 0-0 draw in the league does anyone know?

Some interesting results in 1A

Great result for Munsters in Con - Corkery seems to be doing a great job for them.

Very good BP win for Garryowen - Belvo seem a different team when they don't have Crosbie

Very surprised at the Terenure Ballynahinch game - Terenure really need to get going soon

In 1B Really good win for Buccaneers against Ballymena and in 2C Wanderers did really really well to beat Crescent

Great result for Munsters in Con - Corkery seems to be doing a great job for them.

Very good BP win for Garryowen - Belvo seem a different team when they don't have Crosbie

Very surprised at the Terenure Ballynahinch game - Terenure really need to get going soon

In 1B really good win for Buccaneers against Ballymena and in 2C Wanderers did really really well to beat Crescent

In 1B really good win for Buccaneers against Ballymena and in 2C Wanderers did really really well to beat Crescent

Spoke with Terenure lads and one of the Touch Judges yesterday and it seems like Nure had a lot of pressure and chances and just couldn't capitalize.

Belvo struggling a bit of late, still a good side though.

Munsters going really well. In with a very good chance of playoffs again this year

:eek: When was the last 0-0 draw in the league does anyone know?
    Don't know and would mean looking through all fixtures on IRFU website... Plenty of low scoring draws 3-3, 6-6 but not sure of any 0-0

• Registered Users Posts: 18 The Sceptic

Navan and Kanturk drew 0-0

Navan and Kanturk drew 0-0
    I know. The question was of any other games that may have finished 0-0. I know of 3-3 and 6-6 etc but don't think there has been a 0-0 before.

Glen Jackson refing tarf v nure on Friday. Great to see! Slight increase on the standard of ref to what we usually see

• Advertisement

Glen Jackson refing tarf v nure on Friday. Great to see! Slight increase on the standard of ref to what we usually see
    There is a few other non irish refs refereeing this weekend and coming weeks. A Belgian referee is doing some AIL games as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

Lads, can someone confirm what the story is if your team finishes 9th in the league this season?

Is it the usual playoff against 2nd in the league below ?

Heard a rumour that there might be a round robin against 2nd and 3rd in league below but that would be a bit farcical ...?

madlad88 wrote: »
    Lads, can someone confirm what the story is if your team finishes 9th in the league this season?

Heard a rumour that there might be a round robin against 2nd and 3rd in league below but that would be a bit farcical ...?

I thought it was just 2nd v 2nd last from the league above but I heard something similar myself.

1 Up and 2nd plays 9th to decide the other spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

1 Up and 2nd plays 9th to decide the other spot.

Thanks

Would be a bit ridiculous having a round robin after 18 games in the season. Long enough as it is.

Thanks

Would be a bit ridiculous having a round robin after 18 games in the season. Long enough as it is.

I actually think we've got the length of the season right at the moment. I really hope they don't change it. I would like to see moving one or to of the dates. The first weekend in Jan is particularly absurd. At the least these should be derby games similar to the Pro12 Christmas fixture.

I actually think we've got the length of the season right at the moment. I really hope they don't change it. I would like to see moving one or to of the dates. The first weekend in Jan is particularly absurd. At the least these should be derby games similar to the Pro12 Christmas fixture.
    Future seasons will be different with no world cup. First weekend of January should and will probably change. Corinthians are at home this weekend so will go to their game against Nenagh. Corinthians need win to have any hope of surviving but unlikely...

Future seasons will be different with no world cup. First weekend of January should and will probably change. Corinthians are at home this weekend so will go to their game against Nenagh. Corinthians need win to have any hope of surviving but unlikely...

It has been in there the last few years, so I won't hold my breath.

I'll be going to our match v Terenure and then 6 nations from a high stool me thinks

Automatic promotion and relegation for first and last place in division. Second last in upper divison goes into play-off with teams finishing 2, 3 and 4 in lower division.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 gilesdebond

Two semi finals and a final. 16th April for semi and 30th for final. Higher placed team has home advantage. Not sure about the final but i would presume it at a nutral venue.

9th v 4th
    2nd v 3rd

Advertisement