Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car parked partially blocking driveway

Options
  • 23-05-2015 9:38am

Not quite sure if this issue belongs in this forum, but would be interested in views.

I live in a cul de sac of older house built in the 50's. To accommodate the 2 + cars most people now have in a household most of the people (including ourselves) have widened the drive way entrance, and make the front garden into essentially a place to park the cars.

Around the corner a couple of doors down is a guy with 2 cars, wife has one of those tiny little beetles, he has a big old tacky ford capri that is nosier than any harley. He has taken to parking across the street from my driveway. annoying enough as its a narrow road to get out. However if another car is parked there which is often the case, he parks right up tight bumper to bumper against the other car. Its like a territorial 'this is my space' type action. Note he does this despite plenty of parking further up the cul de sac, But he obviouslyy feels this place opposite my driveway is 'his'

Anyway last night as we had a visitor parked opposite he parked again right up to the bumper. However even worse he is protruding 1 or 2 feet across the driveway of an elderly lady opposite. She hasnt a widened driveway and doesnt have a car. However she occasionally has visitors who pull into her drive. Based on past habits I imagine he is just going to leave the car there parked all weekend as it is .

This guy has his own drive in with room to park himself, but just doesnt bother. I suspect as his car is literally junk on wheels he doesnt want it around his property. He only uses it to drive to and from work and on weekends the car is just left parked friday night to monday morning.

He has annoyed all my immediate neighbors (never greets anyone just parks his car and slopes off) But blocking this lady's drive in is the last straw. As I said she is elderly and timid and unlikely to even leave a note or certainly not confront him.

Is it illegal to partially block a drive in and is there anything we can do? My other neighbor is fuming this morning as he looks out for this lady, puts out her bins etc, and just feels this guy is bullying her.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

I remember a couple of years ago a Garda relation of mine told me that if a car was blocking your driveway you can have it removed.

If it was a regular occurrence though I'd be inclined to park right up behind him so he couldn't get his car out. Well at least id like to think that's what I'd do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Not quite sure if this issue belongs in this forum, but would be interested in views.

I live in a cul de sac of older house built in the 50's. To accommodate the 2 + cars most people now have in a household most of the people (including ourselves) have widened the drive way entrance, and make the front garden into essentially a place to park the cars.

Around the corner a couple of doors down is a guy with 2 cars, wife has one of those tiny little beetles, he has a big old tacky ford capri that is nosier than any harley. He has taken to parking across the street from my driveway. annoying enough as its a narrow road to get out. However if another car is parked there which is often the case, he parks right up tight bumper to bumper against the other car. Its like a territorial 'this is my space' type action. Note he does this despite plenty of parking further up the cul de sac, But he obviouslyy feels this place opposite my driveway is 'his'

Anyway last night as we had a visitor parked opposite he parked again right up to the bumper. However even worse he is protruding 1 or 2 feet across the driveway of an elderly lady opposite. She hasnt a widened driveway and doesnt have a car. However she occasionally has visitors who pull into her drive. Based on past habits I imagine he is just going to leave the car there parked all weekend as it is .

This guy has his own drive in with room to park himself, but just doesnt bother. I suspect as his car is literally junk on wheels he doesnt want it around his property. He only uses it to drive to and from work and on weekends the car is just left parked friday night to monday morning.

He has annoyed all my immediate neighbors (never greets anyone just parks his car and slopes off) But blocking this lady's drive in is the last straw. As I said she is elderly and timid and unlikely to even leave a note or certainly not confront him.

Is it illegal to partially block a drive in and is there anything we can do? My other neighbor is fuming this morning as he looks out for this lady, puts out her bins etc, and just feels this guy is bullying her.

Have I woken up in the 70's? A Beetle and a Capri?

galljga1 wrote: »

No kidding! :p

I remember a couple of years ago a Garda relation of mine told me that if a car was blocking your driveway you can have it removed.

If it was a regular occurrence though I'd be inclined to park right up behind him so he couldn't get his car out. Well at least id like to think that's what I'd do

I might ring the guards and ask, though I guess the request has to come from the home owner he is blocking...worth a try anyway.

I just think its so rude and disrespectful, would he like someone to do that to his Mother

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

If you're in Dublin then call the champers. They'll happily come and lift the car. I've done it for my mother on occasion. Very satisfying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

First of all fair play for watching out for the elderly neighbour.

In the past in similarish circumstances I have left a note and also called over to the house.

My advice is for you and your neighbour to approach him and ask home to move the car out of the way of her driveway. You could also mention the parking bumper to bumper and how it effected others.

If he doesn't move it get her to call the clampers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jimd2 wrote: »
    First of all fair play for watching out for the elderly neighbour.

In the past in similarish circumstances I have left a note and also called over to the house.

My advice is for you and your neighbour to approach him and ask home to move the car out of the way of her driveway. You could also mention the parking bumper to bumper and how it effected others.

If he doesn't move it get her to call the clampers.

id second your first comment.

id definitely get the neighbors involved. you have a stronger voice with more numbers.

id disagree with your last statement. get the gardai involved and let them handle it if the friendly neighbour chat doesnt work. this might prevent the situation escalating. last thing you wanna do is to escalate the situation, even though id can see where satisfaction would come in with introducing the clampers.

best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

........This guy has his own drive in with room to park himself, but just doesnt bother.........

You have your own driveway, and in this case you don't bother using it and park across the road where he parks his car. Leave enough room for the old lady to get out and leave about six foot between you and the next car. Try this if you have no luck with any of the above. I did something similar to this before and eventually he got the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

James 007 wrote: »
    You have your own driveway, and in this case you don't bother using it and park across the road where he parks his car. Leave enough room for the old lady to get out and leave about six foot between you and the next car. Try this if you have no luck with any of the above. I did something similar to this before and eventually he got the message.

this is a very good idea. ive used this tactic before and was successful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

James please read the OP.
    He said he had a visitor who was using the space. One would assume that his 2 cars were already parked in his own driveway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

kceire wrote: »
    James please read the OP.
    He said he had a visitor who was using the space. One would assume that his 2 cars were already parked in his own driveway.

The OP states the following:

I dont think you are correct, our understanding is that the problem neighbour is parking their car across the road from the OPs house whilst their driveway remains free. I still stand over what I have done in the past.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

galljga1 wrote: »
    He has the Beetle on loan while he gets the window handle repaired on the Anglia so he can wind the window down

To clarify:

our driveway contains our own 2 cars
    our visitor parked across from our driveway
    HIS driveway contains only his wifes small car, has space for his, but he does not park there.

As I said I suspect he prefers to keep the car away from his house as it looks so tacky.

Re having a friendly chat, have tried that . No avail. He is extremely odd, has one kid maybe 10 or so, kid never seems to leave the house, except to go to and from school (driven by Mother) They dont seem to talk to any of their neigbbors either.

He parked that way just to annoy me I think as I have spoken with him before.
    There was ample parking a feet feet down the road the other side of the elderly ladys driveway where he could have parked and not blocked. But he is making is point that that part of the road is 'his' own personal space. (or so he thinks)

Am calling up to the guards while I am out and about now to have a chat

The OP states the following:

I dont think you are correct, our understanding is that the problem neighbour is parking their car across the road from the OPs house whilst their driveway remains free. I still stand over what I have done in the past.

Nope I think you are misreading. The OP says they have 2 cars already parked in their own driveway. You told the OP to park there instead. I said he couldn't as it already had 2 in there and they got a visitor.

Anyway, moot point as the OP has just clarified I was correct. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

kceire wrote: »
    Nope I think you are misreading. The OP says they have 2 cars already parked in their own driveway. You told the OP to park there instead. I said he couldn't as it already had 2 in there and they got a visitor.

Anyway, moot point as the OP has just clarified I was correct. :)

I think James007 is telling OP to park across the road everyday where his annoying neighbour usually parks this preventing annoying neighbour from parking there no? I could be wrong? I think it's a good idea tho if I've picked it up correctly. So basically OP only will have his wife's car in his own drive. Park a few feet from elderly neighbours entrance. Just enough so that rude neighbour definitely can't park behind him or else he will completely block elderly neighbours house which he is not allowed to do and hopefully won't do. And I'm thinking hopefully op there won't be room enough in front of you for him to park right up against your bumper?

Is this not what James007 is saying?? I think its a good idea.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I think James007 is telling OP to park across the road everyday where his annoying neighbour usually parks this preventing annoying neighbour from parking there no? I could be wrong? I think it's a good idea tho if I've picked it up correctly. So basically OP only will have his wife's car in his own drive. Park a few feet from elderly neighbours entrance. Just enough so that rude neighbour definitely can't park behind him or else he will completely block elderly neighbours house which he is not allowed to do and hopefully won't do. And I'm thinking hopefully op there won't be room enough in front of you for him to park right up against your bumper?

Is this not what James007 is saying?? I think its a good idea.

Maybe so?
    I picked it up differently by this post :
    You have your own driveway, and in this case you don't bother using.

I picked it up that James was annoyed that the OP parked there while having space in his own garden.

If I'm wrong, I apologise in advance :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

What am I missing here?
    He has every right- as would any member of the public, to park there.......
    Just because its opposite your driveway- doesn't make it yours. You have no greater right to it, than does anyone else.

If he was parking on your private property- it would be another issue altogether- but he isn't....... That he has space outside his own house- is irrelevant........

Most people would be neighbourly and agree to park in front of their own house- however, if they choose not to- short of getting into the spot before he does- you have no other option.

Its antisocial behaviour- and is morally wrong- however, morals don't enter the equation.........

Is he an owner occupier- or is he renting.......?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

Sounds like the neighbour with the capri is a bit of a knob, but I suspect op is more offended by the sight of a beat up old capri across from his house than worried about the carless old dears driveway being partially blocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

What am I missing here?
    He has every right- as would any member of the public, to park there.......
    Just because its opposite your driveway- doesn't make it yours. You have no greater right to it, than does anyone else.

If he was parking on your private property- it would be another issue altogether- but he isn't....... That he has space outside his own house- is irrelevant........

Most people would be neighbourly and agree to park in front of their own house- however, if they choose not to- short of getting into the spot before he does- you have no other option.

Its antisocial behaviour- and is morally wrong- however, morals don't enter the equation.........

Is he an owner occupier- or is he renting.......?

This is true... He does have absolutely every right. It's fairly annoying tho.... And the fact that if someone else parks there first and he comes along and parks his sh*tmobile right up their arse as if to say "this is my park, f*ck off!", would be even more annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I would let him away so long and then I would have to take action. Before long he will start to take over the elderly neighbours drive way. I think I would block him on Monday morning.
    But in saying that I would say this guy would go to any extrem's to get out so maybe not such a good idea.

I am laughing here, Last year there was a similar thread to this only the car was parked accrros a driveway and there was no one in it.

It ended up the funniest thread i read.

Op did anyone mention firelighters :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement