Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kearney Cycles Streets of Galway 8K 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

This is one of my favourite events. Have done it 6 or 7 times. Very friendly, suitable for beginners or seasoned athletes, well organised, flat route. Oh, and don't forget the "all you can eat" cake buffet afterwards! See you there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ArgieExile

Have to agree, one of my all time fave races on the island. Love the evening run, and dinner and a few beers after in Galway is always a plus.
    Entry already in ....

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

seven days left to register:eek:
    https://www.facebook.com/StreetsOfGalway
    go on ,go on,go on.....
    luvley summers evening weather promised...;)
    stunning t-shirt for all athletes erm..participants :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Nearly full up I hear , this is a great race...on this Saturday... the races in Galway continue !
    http://www.galwaycityharriers.com/streets-galway/kearney-cycles-streets-galway-8k-2015

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I had signed up for this as enjoyed it in past years but with Mayo playing in Croker at the same time I now can't do this unfortunately...
    If only number swaps were available via PM...;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

belcarra wrote: »
    I had signed up for this as enjoyed it in past years but with Mayo playing in Croker at the same time I now can't do this unfortunately...
    If only number swaps were available via PM...;)

Thats pants dedication!!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

so will the breezy weather ruin chances of good times (anything from30-50kph s/sw forecast) for sat eve?
    the home stretch will be fine but 2k-5k will be tough enough.
    will it all balance out ? personally i reckon it'll cost time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

How did you all get on? I enjoyed it this year but didn't get a great time. Weather held off which was a relief! Thanks to all the organisers, all went very smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I really enjoyed it and was really happy with my time, just under 44mins.

It really crept up on me, I had planned to do it at the start of the summer but I really forgot about it! I've never ran 8k before and I haven't been running at all, only ran one 5k in the last month (poorly, over 30 mins. In June I was doing around 28 mins) so I was going there I was thinking if I could do it in sub 50 I would be happy enough (pace of the last 5k I did basically).

Pace setters are a huge help, even though my watch would tell me my pace every km, there is really no substitute for having a target to keep up with. I said I would see how long I could last with the 45 group so I pretty much was with them from Eglignton street on and with about a k to go they said if you had anything left in the tank now is the time to push it so I went for it and did the last km in just under 5 minutes. I really can't thank them enough for it, don't think I would have got any where close to that time without them!

My only regret now is not training in July!

Advertisement