Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Same Sex Marriage Referendum Mega Thread Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Das Reich wrote: »
    I did feel so ashamed, then I just did remember I am not Irish anyway but will move country as some people in my country could think that's the reason I live in Ireland. Will be back in 10 years just to see people asking equality for zoofiles and pedophiles, people marrying dogs, goats. Lol. And people on other countries still think this is a catholic country, this is just another state of USA, everything they do there they want to copy here.

You will, will you? Sure you will!

Incidentally, the Netherlands legalised gay marriage in 2001 and here I am with my beloved goat and we're still not able to get wed. :( Won't someone please think of the kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Simple to explain, the things will just not stop here, in USA and Holland already have political parties and groups that wants reduction of consent sex to 12 or 8 years old, in some countries like Sweden they give books to children of 7 years old with two fathers/mothers and on the sexual education also they teach homosexual sex. In UK they have transgender children with 6 years old that take hormones to sex change.

First divorce, then abort, then same sex-marriage, then children adoption by homossexuals. Irish people have big ingenuity if they think it will finish here, let's wait and see.

yawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Big ingenuity?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

I am a practicing RC who goes to mass every Sunday or sometimes a Saturday night. I voted yes simply because I have free will as do we all and voting yes was the right thing to do. I have no right to say who can be married and who can't we are all equal and todays result is great. Oh just in case anyone wonders I am happily married and have been for many years we have five grown up children

Well done, but you were already showing dangerous heretical leanings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Simple to explain, the things will just not stop here, in USA and Holland already have political parties and groups that wants reduction of consent sex to 12 or 8 years old, in some countries like Sweden they give books to children of 7 years old with two fathers/mothers and on the sexual education also they teach homosexual sex. In UK they have transgender children with 6 years old that take hormones to sex change.

First divorce, then abort, then same sex-marriage, then children adoption by homossexuals. Irish people have big ingenuity if they think it will finish here, let's wait and see.

I'm just sitting here waiting for "Hitler Reacts to Marriage Equality".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Have to say, one thing I did learn about today was how many "friends" can show their true colours when given a chance to do so. I don't mean those who just voted No, but those who are voted No because of homophobic reasons (actual homophobic reasons like what I just posted and what I posted a week or two ago).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

They have one already. It's pretty funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Incidentally, the Netherlands legalised gay marriage in 2001 and here I am with my beloved goat and we're still not able to get wed. :( Won't someone please think of the kids.

I see what you did there, very drole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Incredibly proud to be Irish.

Nobody loses here but 10% of Irish people gain something extremely significant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Yeah, yeah you forgot to mention the world is flat too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I did feel so ashamed, then I just did remember I am not Irish anyway but will move country as some people in my country could think that's the reason I live in Ireland. Will be back in 10 years just to see people asking equality for zoofiles and pedophiles, people marrying dogs, goats. Lol. And people on other countries still think this is a catholic country, this is just another state of USA, everything they do there they want to copy here.

Ah, Scan, you are from Brazil............. the gay carnival capital of the world.
    Hello I am brazilian living here 10 years. I can say here is not a good country to invest as the government eat all your money in taxes.

In my country I did an investment on trees (Calophyllum brasiliense), this tree is planted by 500 on a hectare and takes 30 years to grow, the price to sell is close to 2.000 dollars for cubic meter, it means 500.000 dollars for hectare (in Brazil land is way cheaper) when it cut. I have also some eucalyptus that takes 8 years to grow but it gives only 4.000 euros for hectare when it cut. In Ireland I think even if you plant trees the government would take their part, so I don't know if is a good idea for here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

sup_dude wrote: »
    Have to say, one thing I did learn about today was how many "friends" can show their true colours when given a chance to do so. I don't mean those who just voted No, but those who are voted No because of homophobic reasons (actual homophobic reasons like what I just posted and what I posted a week or two ago).

Have you distanced yourself from these people now because of this?

Watching Vincent Brown, I agreed completely with Oliver Callan when he talked about respecting the large minority who voted No, and how we should try to be tolerant of their beliefs, whilst encouraging them to become more tolerant themselves.

Personally I couldn't care less whether gay people get married or not, which is why I voted Yes, but I also couldn't care less whether people voted No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

just found it:D quality

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

mikom wrote: »
    Ah, Scan, you are from Brazil............. the gay carnival capital of the world.

Gayest looking money as well according to The Simpsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭diddley

Maybe a silly question but are tallies optional then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I did feel so ashamed, then I just did remember I am not Irish anyway but will move country as some people in my country could think that's the reason I live in Ireland.

Very happy to drop you to the airport. Will it take you long to pack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Loads of people waiting for the results from Cork so it can all be confirmed.

I'm sure they're loving the attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

He's from a country which already has same sex marriage and he's going to leave this one as people from a country with same sex marriage will presume that he moved here a decade before same sex marriage was legal to wait for it to be legal. I take it he can't go back home in case people think he only moved home for same sex marriage too.

Aye, right.

If it lives under a bridge and scares billygoats...

Have you distanced yourself from these people now because of this?

Watching Vincent Brown, I agreed completely with Oliver Callan when he talked about respecting the large minority who voted No, and how we should try to be tolerant of their beliefs, whilst encouraging them to become more tolerant themselves.

Personally I couldn't care less whether gay people get married or not, which is why I voted Yes, but I also couldn't care less whether people voted No.

Yes I have. As I said, I'm not talking about those who just voted no, I'm talking about those who have been saying things like "****ing poo pushers got the yes vote. What are use at Ireland!!!!", "don't let any of those queers near me", and people who generally spouted vile opinions. I refuse to be tolerant of things like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Gayest looking money as well according to The Simpsons.
    It really is fabulous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

While it was unfortunate that an issue as clear as marriage equality had to be decided by a popular vote of the people in the first place, to see such convincing support for equality in the face of strong public opposition from some of the more sinister elements of Irish society, was as clear a message as any that Ireland is moving towards a more liberal, humanist and secular republic. Today truly is an incredible day for this country, of which the many positive consequences won't be fully seen or understood until many years from now. Enjoy the celebrations everyone.

Yes I have. As I said, I'm not talking about those who just voted no, I'm talking about those who have been saying things like "****ing poo pushers got the yes vote. What are use at Ireland!!!!", "don't let any of those queers near me", and people who generally spouted vile opinions. I refuse to be tolerant of things like that.

I dunno, I know a few people who voted No, but wouldn't necessarily have anything against gay people, just thought that this would lead to other things like surrogacy etc. I know one person who wouldn't be completely comfortable around gay people, but maybe that's because he's had little experience with gay people. I don't hate him, and I don't look at him as any less worthy of an opinion than others.

Being tolerant is not just about respecting gay marriage, it's about respecting those against it, and I think distancing yourself from those against it is hypocritical imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I was out all day so only found out what had been happening a few minutes ago.

I was genuinely worried that the electorate would tell the gay community that, for whatever reason, the issue of their marriage equality wasn't compelling enough for them to vote Yes to.

I can't even imagine how much that rejection and betrayal would have hurt.

Happily, I don't have to. I am proud that we, as a people, voted as we did to celebrate and include the gay community in this way.

Well done to the yes campaigners. Well done to the public faces on TV and in media. Well done to the canvassers. Well done to the voters. Well done Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I'm very happy with the result and it confirms my idea that the irish are some of the soundest and rational people you could meet.however I think it's time we turn our attention to other problems asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I dunno, I know a few people who voted No, but wouldn't necessarily have anything against gay people, just thought that this would lead to other things like surrogacy etc. I know one person who wouldn't be completely comfortable around gay people, but maybe that's because he's had little experience with gay people. I don't hate him, and I don't look at him as any less worthy of an opinion than others.

Being tolerant is not just about respecting gay marriage, it's about respecting those against it, and I think distancing yourself from those against it is hypocritical imo.

Have you missed her point?

She said nothing about distancing herself from no voters.

She has chosen to distance herself from blatant homophobes.

Tolerance of other views is,grand, but NOBODY should tolerate homophobia

I've said it twice already. I am not talking about those who just voted no. I'm talking about those who turned out to be quite homophobic and started saying vile things about gay people and the Yes campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

mikom wrote: »

Maybe Das Reich is one of the "Boys From Brazil"? :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Flicking through some UK, US and other news channels. Eyes of the world on us. Literally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Iona whinging that nearly 700k people weren't represented today. Not fans of the ole democratic process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Yay!

Heading into Dublin city shortly with the Mrs to meet a few friends for dinner and drinks, planned before we realised what day it was.

Can't wait to see how much of a party is going on. There was a bit of a buzz in the air yesterday so I'd say it will be great tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Nim wrote: »
    Flicking through some UK, US and other news channels. Eyes of the world on us. Literally.

God love them if they seen me goin out to the washin machine in the y-fronts a few minutes ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

K4t wrote: »
    While it was unfortunate that an issue as clear as marriage equality had to be decided by a popular vote of the people in the first place, to see such convincing support for equality in the face of strong public opposition from some of the more sinister elements of Irish society, was as clear a message as any that Ireland is moving towards a more liberal, humanist and secular republic. Today truly is an incredible day for this country, of which the many positive consequences won't be fully seen or understood until many years from now. Enjoy the celebrations everyone.

Why is it unfortunate? That's the way our democracy works and changes to our written constitution requiring a referendum.

Now the result has been copper fastened in the most comprehensive fashion, will not face any legal challenges or repeals and has been a great day for LGBT rights. Legislation could not achieve this in the same manner.

Have you missed her point?

She said nothing about distancing herself from no voters.

She has chosen to distance herself from blatant homophobes.

Tolerance of other views is,grand, but NOBODY should tolerate homophobia

You don't have to agree with them to tolerate it. Plenty of people I know don't have the highest opinion of foreigners. One of my parents is foreign, so when somebody gives about 'the f*ckin foreigners come over here and take our jobs', I disagree completely with them, tell them that what they are saying is racist and that they should open up their eyes and see that 99% of people who come here are nice, hardworking people. But I don't hate them for it, I don't tell them that I never want to see them again. I respect their uninformed views and their right to give their opinion, and leave it at that.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Iona whinging that nearly 700k people weren't represented today. Not fans of the ole democratic process.

+1

Iona and democratic in the same sentence.:rolleyes:

I don't think they get the whole democracy concept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I still don't get why RTE give them airtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

What a day, what a ****in day.

To all you at home, well done. I am so happy for you, and for this. I wish I could be there for the party, but ill toast in your honour here in Vancouver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Erm that was cringey watching Breda O'Brien on Six One saying it was time to think about the 700,000 who voted No. I never seen here looking so uneasy. Hillarious.

You don't have to agree with them to tolerate it. Plenty of people I know don't have the highest opinion of foreigners. One of my parents is foreign, so when somebody gives about 'the f*ckin foreigners come over here and take our jobs', I disagree completely with them, tell them that what they are saying is racist and that they should open up their eyes and see that 99% of people who come here are nice, hardworking people. But I don't hate them for it, I don't tell them that I never want to see them again. I respect their uninformed views and their right to give their opinion, and leave it at that.

I don't hate these people either. I hate their opinion and I don't respect it. I don't have to listen to it so I'm not going to. I was noting how it's interesting that they've suddenly become very public about them. Racism/sexism/homophobia etc should not be tolerated. It only encourages it. Which is why it's illegal to discriminate...

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

Just looking through US news websites, surprise surprise fox news is the only one without it the story on their front page. Christ even msnbc news site has Panti as its main headline

• Advertisement

Id like to see an age group analysis of the results. You'd think that it was the 18-26/27 age group who scooped this win due to about 90%+ of them being in favour of it,and that'd be amazing! Young people shaping the future and all.. but it'd be a nice surprise to see if there was a larger support from the older generations than you'd think..a country more unified on the issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Why are they still giving those cultish fcukwits at Iona airtime?

It's done and dusted. There's no longer any obligation for the media to be balanced by having both sides represented.

They should be completely ignored from now on until the next time their bigoted misleading opinions are required for the sake of 'balance'

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why is it unfortunate? That's the way our democracy works and changes to our written constitution requiring a referendum.

Now the result has been copper fastened in the most comprehensive fashion, will not face any legal challenges or repeals and has been a great day for LGBT rights. Legislation could not achieve this in the same manner.

This. The Govt. chose to go straight to referendum because the Iona Institute, Mothers and Fathers etc. would've certainly gone to court, cost the state thousands in legal fees, and wasted SC time when there are far more important legal issues to be interpreted by them. Even then, a majority in favour of same sex marriage doesn't carry as much importance as constitutional change. A referendum was the best option, and made it concrete.

Gintonious wrote: »
    What a day, what a ****in day.

To all you at home, well done. I am so happy for you, and for this. I wish I could be there for the party, but ill toast in your honour here in Vancouver.

Thank you.

I'll have a gin and tonic for you to celebrate what is a momentous day this is for Ireland.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I still don't get why RTE give them airtime.

RTE have to give them airtime - balance issues.

What exactly do they mean when they say we should think about the 700,000 who voted no? Like yes thats a lot of people but theyre still a minority, the majority of people don't agree with them. And this is a democracy so the laws changing, so what dot hey expect:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

colossus-x wrote: »
    Erm that was cringey watching Breda O'Brien on Six One saying it was time to think about the 700,000 who voted No. I never seen here looking so uneasy. Hillarious.

Dont understand what they are meant to represent them for.

A TD for those who've lost referendums?

I don't hate these people either. I hate their opinion and I don't respect it. I don't have to listen to it so I'm not going to. I was noting how it's interesting that they've suddenly become very public about them. Racism/sexism/homophobia etc should not be tolerated. It only encourages it. Which is why it's illegal to discriminate...

I'm more of the opinion that having open discussion on their views, and giving them the opportunity to explain their ill-informed views whilst having them listen to where they are wrong, is the best way to approach them. Denying them the opportunity to express their views will only encourage a siege mentality, and that is a bad thing when >30% of the country don't believe that homosexuals should be treated just like everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

wakka12 wrote: »
    What exactly do they mean when they say we should think about the 700,000 who voted no? Like yes thats a lot of people but theyre still a minority, the majority of people don't agree with them. And this is a democracy so the laws changing, so what dot hey expect:confused:

We shouldn't follow through with the plan to force them to gay marry at gunpoint and have surrogate babys for gay couples, presumably.

Or maybe just not pass them in the street and go into Smug Mode. Two fuckin chances....

wakka12 wrote: »
    Id like to see an age group analysis of the results. You'd think that it was the 18-26/27 age group who scooped this win due to about 90%+ of them being in favour of it,and that'd be amazing! Young people shaping the future and all.. but it'd be a nice surprise to see if there was a larger support from the older generations than you'd think..a country more unified on the issue

I'm 49 ....I voted yes.
    My husband is 49 ....he voted yes.
    My father is 80.....he voted yes.
    My mother is 70.......she voted yes.
    One sister nearly 40 .... she voted yes.
    I don't know what the other sisters voted but from the way they are posting on facebook it looks like they voted yes too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement